Leknaat

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
GrayMercury

Re: Leknaat

Post by GrayMercury »

lol...i'm a girl.

but yeah, i figured that in the last suikoden you will be fighting againt Leknaat for some unknown reason. And Windy would pop up out of nowhere and help you out, in turn getting the other half of the gate rune (maybe exacting her revenge from harmonia) and then just disappearing into the woodwork finally satisfied. because after all, that's all she wants is her revenge.

i do figure that at one point her and leknaat where close, but in suikoden one's booklet it says windy blinded her..........i don't feel windy was evil at that point....so why blind leknaat?.....was she helping harmonia? or what?
"Master, Violence is Wrong." - - Dongo (SV)
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Ah shoot, sorry, I'll edit that!

Let me check my booklet.... CRUD! I left the booklet in alaska!

Anywho, I dunno, as that seems like a rather random and obscure fact, it could be that konami has forgotten about it, like that Dracula is supposed to be Vlad Tepes (400 or so) but is 800, which when the remembered spawned a new game.

Anyway, tangents are great. I've always wondered about Leknaat's blindness. Blindness is often used in the world of mythology to infer sight beyond sight. Like the seer in Oedipus Rex, i cant remember his name, Thiresias or something like that, was able to read the future and present but was blind as a bat. But was Leknaat born blind, or was she made to be that way? Just something I've always wondered. Also, I've always wondered what she does between games, like where she's been from S4 to S5? Was she still mollycoddling random heroes? What gives her the right to be the Executor of Balance, what powers does she have that come from her rune? What powers does she have that dont? And finally, if she's blind, how can she know that Tir Mcdohl is cute?
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

i think they forgot about all that....i'm not too positive. I wanted to check my booklet, cause i'd swear that's where i read that....but i loaned it to a co-worker.

anyhow, i'm gonna check the timeline again and see if it's not in there...

but yeah, i'm sure that the early developers probably forgot she was blind when she made the comment about Tir....unless that wasn't her...lol.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Anyway, tangents are great. I've always wondered about Leknaat's blindness. Blindness is often used in the world of mythology to infer sight beyond sight. Like the seer in Oedipus Rex, i cant remember his name, Thiresias or something like that, was able to read the future and present but was blind as a bat.
It seems a common theme through a lot of the old religions that seers are blind and/or people denied the sense we rely most heavily on, having some extraordinary powers. Perhaps this was derived from people wondering how a blind person can even perform the simplest of tasks back when there was no science to explain things.
JanusThePaladin wrote:But was Leknaat born blind, or was she made to be that way? Just something I've always wondered.
Impossible to say, though most blind prophets are born that way from memory, becoming blind in an accident won't suddenly make you a prophet.
JanusThePaladin wrote:Also, I've always wondered what she does between games, like where she's been from S4 to S5? Was she still mollycoddling random heroes?
This is also impossible to answer, though the answer is likely yes to your second question... because if we ever see another Suikoden set betwee 4 and 5 she will most likely be there. When she's not pestering heroes I guess she chills out in her tower. I guess she has something to keep her entertained since she's got forever to waste.
JanusThePaladin wrote:What gives her the right to be the Executor of Balance, what powers does she have that come from her rune? What powers does she have that dont?
What gives her the right to be the executor of balance? Perhaps the fact that she does see the future in visions, and often feels she needs to guide people towards or away from what she sees. She doesn't seem to be working on behalf of anything other than herself, and perhaps only does it because she's bored living alone forever and needs a bit of meddling/interaction now and then. What powers come from her rune? The teleportation for a start. What powers don't? Her prophetic powers don't appear to be connected to the rune, but the rune has powers that are useful to her such as teleportation and agelessness.
JanusThePaladin wrote:And finally, if she's blind, how can she know that Tir Mcdohl is cute?
Perhaps Luc told her, perhaps she touched his face, perhaps she just heard his voice and assumed. Perhaps she had no idea but was just trying to disarm his skepticism.
Stallion... aka Falcon Critical.
JanusThePaladin

Are we sure that teleportation comes from her rune? Cant Luc, Yuber, and Sarah all teleport as well? And Sarah doesnt even possess A true rune!

Honestly, aside from being able to banish monsters, i cant think of a single example of the power of her Rune, even though she appears in every Suikoden. As a matter of fact, i'm almost positive that S1 is the only Suikoden that actually brings it up.

Weird....
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

actually...if you check the timeline it says that she becomes blind during the destruction of her clan.....when i get my booklet back, i'll check the sentence that is her profile and see if i remember that right.

And as that guy said....maybe she eventually goes crazy sitting in her tower alone...after all, who keeps her company now that Luc and Sarah are gone.

My only point i guess is that in the suikoden universe no bad guy is truly bad and no good guy is truly good.

Scratch that...i don't Childerich had any reason to be the way he was other than the fact that he liked to kill........

So, we really can't say that Leknaat won't be a bad guy in the future...it just depends on what happens to her between now and then...and what's allowed to infest her brain while she twiddles her thumbs alone in her tower.......
JanusThePaladin

I dont think she necessarily has to lose her mind in order to be the a villain. I would think that, from Luc's perspective in S3, he was definitely a good guy, and in the earlier games he was a good guy. Where as in S2 Sasarai is a bad guy, but in S3 he's a good guy. Nothing really changed about those characters much, but they're alliance did. In this sense, its all to logical that Leknaat could eventually set on a course that is to her perfectly good and reasonable, but to us is nothing short of evil.

Oh, and as for characters who are truly evil, I'm gonna have to say that i considered Luca Blight to be one evil SOB, regardless of what happened in his past. To slaughter thousands, murder your own father, and unleash a powerful demon on the world? Whats more evil than that?

Oh and dont forget Neclord, who's sole purpose was killing off villages and abducting girls for crazy half necrophiliac pedophilia. Not to mention what he did to the vampire community by absconding with the Blue Moon rune.

Or Yuber, who, everytime he has been introduced to the story, has alligned with the side choosing to destroy and corrupt, simply for the pleasure of it?

These are truly evil men. But just because they are evil doesnt make all enemies evil. Barbarosa was far from an evil man, just blind. Jowy was far from evil as well, just struggling against the bonds of fate. The Godwins were just attempting to force an order and rule upon a world that they thought desperately needed it. These are not evil men, and from other points of view, they are good men. Personally, that was the one thing i actually liked about S3, that you could play from Luc's perspective. That made my day.

I think i need to play S3 again, I really disliked it, but I need to refresh it in my mind.
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

I think another interesting thing to note about Leknaat is that despite being NOW ageless, and the self-proclaimed executor of balance, she isn't eternal, and hasn't always had that position. While her year of birth (and hence age) is unknown, the history of Windy and Leknaat seems to imply that they were just "normal people" leading normal lives before the incident with Harmonia. While 350-400 years is obviously quite a long time for a human to live, the runes and the world are far older than that, and certainly the concept of balance is eternal and existed well before Leknaat started bearing the rune. I mean, we even know of several characters older than her (most likely, at least) like Hikusaak and Sierra. I personally think that she more or less invented the position and the idea of executor of balance in order to become an ethical extension of the rune's will and to not be tempted by the rune's powers. Also, a position of forced neutrality distances her from humanity, which perhaps she deems necessary to avoid corruption and conflict. Another thing to note is that some of the more miraculous things Leknaat has been a part of were not just her or her rune's doing, but had to be made possible by the stars of destiny

As for her future in the Suikoden games, I don't quite see her becoming a villain, but I think a future game either exploring her past (perhaps even as a Tenkai) or maybe her future (her death and the aftermath, what it would mean for balance, etc.) would be interesting.
Erk in danger!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it could be likely that the Gate Rune Clan was a group of people who had an idea of balance due to their close relationship with the Gate Rune. i mean... they were named after the rune so it's likely their entire life is dedicated towards learning about the Gate Rune and the nature of the 27 True Runes. Leknaat probably got the idea of maintaining balance from growing up as a Clan member.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Is there any known person besides Leknaat and Windy that is part of the Gate Rune Clan (quick off-topic question)?
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

As far as I know, it is stated that they are the only two survivors.
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Leknaat is not a "baddie"
She is like half of a coin

Windy is the chaos
Leknaat is the balance.

I think she is a rather sad character myself...
Slave to destiny much like Luc was.

She helps who destiny chooses
That makes her nuetral.

I suppose it depends on the person to say if "Destiny" is evil or not.
Luc certainly thought it made him a slave...since he was destined to be a true rune bearer from birth.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
executorofbalance

Post by executorofbalance »

ok, seriously, all this talk of Leknaat being a bad guy is totally out of whack. Leknaat always gives you Luc (in S1-S3) and in all the games, she leads you on the right path and gives you the stone slab of promise (aka tablet of stars) so, she's not going to be the final boss...the only time you didn't really see her (besides V) is in Suikoden III because she had an emotiopnal link to the bad guy...Luc.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not dissapear."
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I don't think she would be either. It doesn't make sense. .

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

And because Leknaat is the sheer of balance, I think she is supposedly never choose side. Balance is neither good or bad, it's the middle. Leknaat watches over things, she wasn't supposed to take sides. She just helps the Tenkai star understand things. She wasn't even supposed to lead a Tenkai to a certain path, she lets the Tenkai chooses his/her own path in destiny, while Leknaat observes and gives guidance.

I don't know what Leknaat does in S5 but the fact that Murayama didn't create S5 could have break the way Leknaat is supposed to be.

As in S3, I think Leknaat doesn't show up to the Tenkai and SoDs because in S3, Leknaat watches over Luc's destiny and how Luc will walk his path, not Hugo's/Chris'/Geddoe's/Thomas's. S3 is basically just a chapter of Suikoden world that says "Luc breaks apart" unlike the other Suikodens...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.