Non-SoD characters as SoD

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
sticky-runes

Re: Non-SoD characters as SoD

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:43 am

I think the best uses of the Tenkai star concept were in S1 and S4. In both games you can either be merciless and punish your enemies, or forgiving and allow them to join your cause. And those decisions have an impact on whether you end up with the 108 stars and "special ending" or not. You don't always get to control characters' personal decisions.

You can choose whether Kwanda and Milich become your allies so they can make up for what they've done or execute them as punishment for their crimes, but you can't choose whether or not Gemio dies protecting you in Soniere prison. You can't decide whether or not Viktor can go on leave to visit his family's graves after killing Neclord - he's put his life on the line for you enough times and deserves to resolve his own issues.

And in 4 you can't make Snowe join you and be best friends again, even though there are all kinds of people joining your ship for their own weird little reasons, your oldest friend refuses to be your ally because he feels too much damage has been done between you both. so you can either chop his head off and be done with it, or let him go and keep reaching out to him until he does finally accept your offer after you've both been through so much.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Well, I think that's how it should be to be honest. I think Riou however, was developed to be very compassionate since he was a merciless victim of oppression unlike Tir who had a family behind him all his journey. Riou had the worst emotional torture (losing all his loved ones in the process) and can't blame him if he had little to no decision-making skills without an amazing tactician to guide him.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:46 am

You're right, and I hadn't really considered the role of the true runes.

It probably wouldn't suit Riou to be able to execute people who pissed him off. He bears the Bright Shield rune which is all about protection. Jowy has the black Sword, which is much more destructive, and he gets to where he is by first murdering Annabelle. So having him be the unforgiving type who has Agares and Luca killed off to make himself king and publicly "sacrificing" his wife makes him contrast against Riou a lot more. And if we lose Ridley during events in Tinto, it makes us feel like we made a really poor decision which had devastating consequences.

Tir had the rune of death and Lazlo had the rune of punishment, so being able to play executioner seems a lot more fitting for them. And making the decision to forgive Snowe for his failures makes us feel like we are resisting the urge to punish people mercilessly.

The prince from S5 also had a rune that was more about preserving life, and he needed to show the queendom that he wasn't a total bastard like Godwin who went round slaughtering people for not standing with him.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 am

Oh good observation! I didn't actually accounted the role of the runes either haha. Though, that sounds absolutely fitting. More like the theme setter for the games eh?

Yes, Riou had the Bright Shield as you pointed out, so he must be all goody-goody to an extent, I guess. However, I think that shouldn't stop him from having executioner decisions though, considering he is already a leader. I dunno maybe he's the type who is raised by morale masters like Viktor and Flik or whatever lol, that's why he behaves like that. I guess all the destructive traits were designed as an embodiment of Jowy lol. It's more like a Yin-Yang kind of relationship imo.

Lazlo on the other-hand is more like a "shock" victim for the Rune of Punishment since he has no actual good or evil "trait" in the beginning. Seems like a slave of Snowe even in the events from Tactics. But I guess this makes his decisions of execution unquestionable because he's neutral. (and I don't think he really suffered from the rune either... *smirks*). I won't be bugged as well if Snowe is executed since he's a jerk from the beginning and is obviously just a pretender who keeps using people for his sh*t.

I haven't really touched S5 so I won't have a word on it but since you mentioned it, I guess it just makes sense.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 am

I've warmed to Snowe over the years. It's easy to dismiss him as a jerk, but if you play the prologue section of Tactics, Snowe is the one who wants to run into a dark alley and hunt monsters, while Lazlo is reluctant. Snowe acts like he's the big brother in charge and if you stick with him, you'll be fine. This is the same approach he takes during the exam battle at the beginning of S4. Ultimately Snowe ends up being a poor decision maker who is prone to jealousy and lets people down, and as the player you have the opportunity to decide whether he should be given a chance to redeem himself and learn from his mistakes or not. Lazlo's cautious nature ends up being what makes him a better leader than Snowe, plus Lazlo manages not to fall apart when things get really bad.

Lazlo has other opportunities to be merciless as well - you can choose whether to let the mermaid poachers escape or sink their ship, and you can choose whether to execute Helmut or not.

Return to “Character Theories”