Why did Leon unleashed Beast Rune on Hero?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

The final boss in Suikoden 2 was the Beast Rune. Leon unleashed it, saying something like "Let's see if you can deal with THIS, boy...". Did he tryed to kill you and your party, and destroy L'Renouille as well? I heard somewhere that he actually unleashed it because he tought you're the only one that coule destroy it. But is it true? What it the official explanation? :roll:
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

Yep, there was little time to hold the Beast Rune at bay, especially as Jowy's strength was fading. So Leon spilt the last few drops so Riou and co could defeat it and set the rune away.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

Hmmm, but Luca seemed to be holding Beast Rune at bay with no troubles at all. Even after he unleashed it on Muse City. Does it mean that it could be actually kept by your side if you're strong enough? Luca was the strongets warrior in Highland, after all. Maybe Leon and Jowy didn't have what it took to keep the Rune at bay, like Luca did...?
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Luca was sacrificing the people of City-States as offering to wake up the Beast Rune. When you see those Golden Wolves at Muse, Luc made a remark about how this wake-up call is almost near completion...

Luca never held it at bay in the first place. He was making efforts to reactivate the rune itself.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

So basically, the rune was inactive unless souls are sacrificed, right?
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

Hmmm, you're right, patapi. Even Leon had to offer a bit of his blood to wake up the Rune in the end. But if there was a way to awaken the Rune, then there must've been a way to put it back to sleep as well. Is it possible that someone wiser could actually know the way to do it? Jeane, Leknaat, Windy...? :roll:
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Off note, but kinda on topic...Didn't a battle report say that Leon and Kiba worth BOTH mortally wounded? How was Leon even alive, and even standing?
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

That was a mistranslation.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Ah, I see. Then that solves that problem. One mistake could really mess up the storyline.
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Havok

Post by Havok »

it may not be a mistranslation, just because you are mortally wounded doesnt mean that you'll die right then and there. leon may have clung to life just long enough to release the beast rune at the end.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nope, it was a mistranslation, because the Japanese version doesn't say such a thing. It said, "Kiba fought Leon and was mortally wounded." The translator probably got confused about who exactly was mortally wounded.

As for the topic, yep, Leon actuelly tells you that keeping the Beast Rune at bay has come to a limit, and that it needs to be unleashed.

Luca never kept the rune at bay, he wanted to unleash it as soon as possible. That's a huge part of the plot, actually.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

It could of possibly been to end Riou and sacrifice him to the colossal Beast Rune. Not only was it Riou's final test I think it was also a getaway plan for Leon Silverberg. After the Beast Rune was beat all that was left was Leon but making Riou fight the rune gave him the time to flee.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

SARSadmin wrote:Nope, it was a mistranslation, because the Japanese version doesn't say such a thing. It said, "Kiba fought Leon and was mortally wounded." The translator probably got confused about who exactly was mortally wounded.

As for the topic, yep, Leon actuelly tells you that keeping the Beast Rune at bay has come to a limit, and that it needs to be unleashed.

Luca never kept the rune at bay, he wanted to unleash it as soon as possible. That's a huge part of the plot, actually.
Was this told from a person living In Japan or a person which have learned Japanise some time in his/her life?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Siel Avadon wrote:
SARSadmin wrote:Nope, it was a mistranslation, because the Japanese version doesn't say such a thing. It said, "Kiba fought Leon and was mortally wounded." The translator probably got confused about who exactly was mortally wounded.

Was this told from a person living In Japan or a person which have learned Japanise some time in his/her life?
SARSAdmin is Japanese... (I think, sorry if he's not but I'm sure I've seen him say somewhere that he is)
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
Siel Avadon wrote:

SARSAdmin is Japanese... (I think, sorry if he's not but I'm sure I've seen him say somewhere that he is)
Well then! I Think its true then!
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.