If Jowy and Jillia met 15 years later?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Nikisaur

If Jowy and Jillia met 15 years later?

Post by Nikisaur »

So I'm thinking of writing a short thing on this and I'm just wondering what you all think. How would a conversation between Jowy and Jillia go, 15 years after Suikoden 2? (This is around the time of Suikoden 3).

Would she be mad, bitter? Would she still love him? And how would he feel after turning 30? Older, wiser, more wrinkled and worn, obviously. But how much of the war would he regret, and apologise for? AND what would Pilika be doing? (she'd be 20)

I like to think after the war, he realised what he lost in Jillia and Pilika. I believe he kept an eye on them when he could, but never spoke to them or made his presence known. I think it'd be interesting to see how much Pilika would even remember of him, as she was only 5-6 during the Dunan Unification War, spending most of the time with Riou and Nanami. She probably wouldn't remember his face.

Anyway, any thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Flames? :shock: I'm really keen on writing about this and am interested in discussing what other people think!
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
EstrangedIX

Re: If Jowy and Jillia met 15 years later?

Post by EstrangedIX »

30 doesn't necessarily mean wrinkles and Jowy's probably a bit of a princess when it comes to skincare, but then again not eating carrots would deprive him of much needed nutrients lol... Just remember that Jillia went on to become a mercenary, so yeah... maybe a little bitter. I bet Pilika and Jacques would get along great though. :lol:

Ok, time to be serious. I like the thought of them crossing paths after so long. They both would certainly be older and wiser (I was serious about him not having wrinkles, though. I'm 37 and don't have any. And that's without using any creams or whatever except the occasional sunblock). I think if he were apologetic that it would be in a justified kind of way, like "I'm sorry it happened that way and wish it hadn't, but it was necessary." I also think Pilika would remember him, but maybe just not recognize him at first if he changed his style or whatever. Not really sure how either of them would feel about him. I guess it would depend on how things went in Harmonia, what with her no longer being royalty and all. Would she have a job, be a housewife or both? Would she have kids of her own by a new husband?

This could go so many ways and I like the idea.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

If Jowy got to 30 without a single line I'd be very surprised. Especially through his extensive travelling/time in the sun etc. But this is exactly why I said MORE wrinkled. Sorry if I touched a nerve there :p

Consider the face of your first primary school teacher. That's probably the amount of time she got with Jowy, and the same age. I wonder how much Jillia would have told Pilika about him... Would her and Pilika even get along? THIS COULD GO SO MANY WAYS
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

As i recall, there's a rumour saying Jillia is actually Queen in S3 because many points fit that theory. If it was true, then we all know whom Queen was falling for in S3. Otherwise, in Jowy sight, if he's still alive and well with his true rune, i wonder if he'd be interested in a 30 years old woman or he may want to hit on someone of pilika's age at that moment :kidding:
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Jowy and Riou continue to age normally...

The Jillia = Queen theory is quite interesting, but I'm not sure the facts/dates line up. I'd rather ignore it for the case of this piece :)
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Nikisaur wrote:Jowy and Riou continue to age normally...
How so? you're not saying they lost their true runes after S2 events? Or if you're saying they could grow up until adulthood then that's false, as how Kasumi met up with Tir after 3 years in gregminster and said that he wasn't growing up at all (physically)
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

No worries Nik.. Just thinking that he might not have really traveled so much if he kept an eye on her. Also, between the runes and meds I don't think Suiko people have to worry about not having sunblock the way we do. He might have a touch of crow's feet or laugh lines though. I'm also thinking that Nash really doesn't look too weathered, and I don't think Jowy would've been nearly that adventurous after the war.

I actually do remember my kindergarten teacher, but since I needed glasses in a big way (didn't get them until first grade when I had to be an arm's length from the chalkboard before anyone thought something was wrong) she was a bit blurry. However, I did remember one of my classmates from that year enough to recognize her twelve years later in the hallway during my senior year in high school. I'm a visual thinker though, so... Unless she blocked Jowy out with the rest of her trauma, I think Pilika'd at least remember the idea of him, especially if Jillia talked about him.

The idea of Jillia and Pilika not getting along is an interesting twist. There's also the possibility that she could've been taken away and adopted or something. I don't think very highly of Harmonia's class system, so the fact that they're foreigners could mean that people may have been condescending in their charity towards the war widow refugee, or whatever her new identity.

The possibilities are just about endless, so you could do almost anything with them and it be believable.

As per Jowy's rune, it's not the same as the halves of the Gate Rune so he and Riou would've aged. Remember the coffee analogy... Jowy's and Riou's are like grounds and hot water as opposed to Windy and Leknaat having the same as the prepared drink.

As per Queen, I love that theory even if some people think it's total bs. There's no definitive evidence either way, but it's still fun to think about Jillia turning merc lol
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Punkaiser wrote: How so? you're not saying they lost their true runes after S2 events? Or if you're saying they could grow up until adulthood then that's false, as how Kasumi met up with Tir after 3 years in gregminster and said that he wasn't growing up at all (physically)
True Runes make the bearer ageless, such as Tir's Soul Eater, But Riou and Jowy only have half a true rune each. Murayama himself stated that they would age normally.
EstrangedIX wrote:As per Queen, I love that theory even if some people think it's total bs. There's no definitive evidence either way, but it's still fun to think about Jillia turning merc lol
I knooow!!! I wish it was true, that'd make my day :p
15 years is a long time, he could have swung past Harmonia a few times in that time. Or had a contact in the manor. Yeah there's almost too many possiblities - which is why I made this topic :D
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I say just go crazy and have fun with this. You could even do it a couple of ways or mix up different possibilities and see how well they fit. I once mixed up a bunch of character names in one bag, settings in another, and a few phrases in a third with the intention of writing a short S3 fic. I drew two characters and one each from the other bags. I ended up with Chris, Salome, the Knights parlor and "I've done this sort of thing before." It was the first thing I'd ever tried to write for fanfic and I'm still happy with it. I've since written other things that way and love how the randomness makes me consider things I may not have noticed otherwise.

I think your story's going to turn out really good.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I have another fanfic going (link is in the Fan Work board) which is quite a big project. I'm looking at doing more short fics to give me something to switch to when I get blocked. This is one idea I came up with. I might draft up a few different ways it could go! I just hope I can do it well >.<
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think I read that. Wasn't it the one with Nash in Muse? If it's what I'm thinking of I liked it a lot.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Yesss that was chapter 2. I think I'm up to chapter... 6 now? Maybe. IDK, some number like 6. Glad you liked it! I loved writing that chapter, I was so worried I wouldn't portray him properly... >.<
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I'm gonna have to catch up on that soon then. Not now though, too sleepy and work tomorrow.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Isn't Watari hinted to be linked to Jillia? It would be interesting if Jillia was really embittered by how Jowy used her for advancing his status then dumping some kid with her (i would be pissed) and she sends The Kage to dispose of him. She probably thinks he is dead anyway so thats unlikely.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Nikisaur wrote: True Runes make the bearer ageless, such as Tir's Soul Eater, But Riou and Jowy only have half a true rune each. Murayama himself stated that they would age normally.
Didn't the rune of beginning form at the best ending of Suikoden II? I think it was, and then healed Jowy from the harm his rune had caused him. I don't remember it all as much as I'd like to, since it was a while ago since I last played Suikoden II.

The story would really be interesting though!

But hey, fifteen years doesn't matter much. Just look at Jeane!