Is Jacques autistic?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Rachael

Is Jacques autistic?

Post by Rachael »

I doubt he was intended to be--people with disabilities are grossly underrepresented in video games--but I've noticed he has some of the characteristics of a person with autism.

-His social interaction is limited to a few words
-He often says things that are interpreted as "weird"
-People might think he doesn't have emotions, even though he obviously does
-He leaves the group often, suggesting he may be overstimulated

Autism is a highly misunderstood disability, and is often portrayed as something that keeps people from being able to interact with the outside world. This isn't true--many people with autism are capable of speaking and living independently, and most are perfectly capable of understanding what's being said around them.

I think it would be cool if he were autistic. You don't see many people with autism being portrayed in fiction without being seen as a "disease."
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Is Jacques autistic?

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I never really thought about it that way, but that definitely makes sense to me. I don't know if that's what they had in mind with his character, but I think it certainly fits.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

There are lots of characters who say little to nothing. Some people are naturally more reserved than others.

Jacques seems to spend a lot of time daydreaming, and generally is respectful of people's opinion. So yes, he says a lot of weird things in a group of mercs that regularly insult each other, and tend to only discuss things in the moment.

Nobody ever says he is emotionless, the only claim made of his emotion's is that he isn't as horny as Ace, which isn't hard.

I presume he was a lone hunter before joining Geddoe, so he probably just enjoys being alone in his free time, and particularly alone with nature, which is often where he goes when given the free time.

although someone with Autism might have these traits, I don't think they represent Autism, or even a disability, just a lifestyle. Certainly Jacques isn't suffering it if he has it.
Teck

Post by Teck »

I agree with eldrasidar on this one.... Having a good friend with autism, I just don't feel that the traits in Jacques are quite to that level.... The vibe I pick up is more along the lines of my personality.... I have very few friends and spend up to a week alone some times just because I enjoy peace and quiet.... That is how I feel Jacques is more like.... I can definitely see the base for your interpretation though....
She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies.... - Lord George Gordon Noel Byron
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

No
Jaques seems similar to the nethergate assassins or howling voice guild members. I got the impression given his sniping skills and personality that he has a shady past but was "Saved" by Geddoe and is now trying to live a normal life without much social experience.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'd say Jaques is introverted. He likes being around his friends, he just has a different way of interacting with them. Queen, joker and Ace have their banter, while Jaques observes rather than participates. Even when Aila joins the group she is able to easily adjust to their conversation, while Jaques continues to observe. That's just his way of responding to a social situation. It often gets interpreted as rudeness if somebody doesn't engage in a group discussion, but it's actually quite rude to criticize and try to force someone into a discussion.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

probably he might have Asperger's,an autistic person doesn't act like that.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Sasarai10 wrote:probably he might have Asperger's,an autistic person doesn't act like that.
i agree, i personally know people with Asperger's, and a typical trait is being socially awkward and can get obsessive but often skilled at certain things.
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

As someone who's been diagnosed with Asperger's, I always saw a bit of myself in Jacques. I had assumed I was just projecting, but, seeing that a few of you made the connection, there might be some truth about it.