The Fog Ship Guide

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Novelist_Games

The Fog Ship Guide

Post by Novelist_Games »

I'm in the middle of replaying Suikoden IV again and have recently completed this section of the game. Having done so AFTER playing Suikoden Tierkreis, I couldn't help but notice some loose links/similarities between the Fog Ship Guide and the One King. I'm simply stating a theory here but the way in which the Fog Ship Guide describes himself as an infinite being, collecting infinite runes from infinites worlds is actually very similar to the nature of the One King and the concept of Suikoden Tierkreis itself.

When Suikoden Tierkreis was in development, I managed to read quite a few interviews with key development staff but they continued to insist that it was a standalone game from the rest in the series. Could they have actually loosely based the game on this concept raised in Suikoden IV?

DISCUSS!
Nikisaur

Re: The Fog Ship Guide

Post by Nikisaur »

Well, it's a common theory that the Fog Ship Guide has some kind of link to the Sindar... There's a scene with the Fog Ship Guide where the eternal city (or eternal capital?) is mentioned, which is found in an Old Book in Suikoden 2 about the Sindar. I'm not so flash on the details there.

Also, I haven't played all the way through Tierkreis. I got bored. But there were parts of it, my friend told me, that seemed very similar to the idea of the Sindar people. Were they called wanderers? Maybe it has some connection to the main series. I'm going to say no, I don't think so - but then again they're both called Suikoden,right?
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Novelist_Games

Post by Novelist_Games »

The development team stated many times that they had intentionally developed Suikoden Tierkreis as a separate entity to the other titles in the existing series. However, it IS a part of the Suikoden "universe" and if the infinity worlds show similarities (as Tierkeis demonstrates with two Maria characters) then SURELY out of all of those possibilities, there WILL be links with the Suikoden world that fans of the series are familiar with. There simply has to be. So, although Tierkreis was developed as a standalone title initially, they could easily begin to tie it into the main universe in the future and I personally don't think that it would be a cop out or a hash job.

Your point about the Fog Ship Guide's similarities to the Sindar is really interesting! I definitely think that there could be something there. Having a Suikoden game based on the Sindar period is something that a LOT of fans of the series have actually been asking for for quite some time. I'll look into it.

Definitely finish playing Tierkreis! SO many people are against it and it does have its "faults" but in the end it's a superb game and I personally believe it's the closest experience I've had to the two original titles in the series than the PlayStation 2 titles have provided me so far.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Yeah, but like I say, I'm real fuzzy on the details.

Tierkreis... one day I'll replay it. It was just so boring! Instead I went and replayed Star Ocean: The Second Evolution. Now there's a game.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Novelist_Games

Post by Novelist_Games »

If you say so..... :shock:

Lol, short of being burned at the stake for not thinking that ANY Suikoden game is better than any other game or series in the world, I shall simply tut in your general direction, sir!

TUT!