The Hikusaak Gate Rune Origins Theory....

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Teck

The Hikusaak Gate Rune Origins Theory....

Post by Teck »

The Hikusaak Theory

I'll start by getting straight to the point.... I believe that Hikusaak is somehow related to the Gate Rune Village, Leknaat, and Windy (Whom I think also by the way, originally went by a different name).... I'll outline my points as I go in separate paragraphs in hopes of keeping this coherent....

1. Characterization Similarities - Many Characters in the Suikoden universe share traits that help us associate them with other characters, slowly filling in the gaps of the story. My very first trigger to spark my idea on this theory was how similar I found the names of Leknaat and Hikusaak. There is a half-hazard staggard relation in naming schemes across different race and heritages of characters. For example: Lucia, Lucretia, Lulu, and Luce are all Karayan and their names, at least in my opinion, seem to have a trend to them (I'm not implying it's a set in stone rule of course). Without carrying this into a tangent, the names given to characters by Konami are in most cases appropriate for the characters, so patterns can be established linked to similarities. This leads me to Windy, whom when I first played S1 confused me very much so with a name so vastly different than Leknaat whom originated from the same town. Other characters have gone by separate names before in the series as well which would establish a precedent....

2. Chain of Events Surrouding Hikusaak - Though little is known about Hikusaak, we know that he was a part of the Hero War in -2 creating Harmonia and becoming the High Priest, has the True Rune known as the Circle Rune, and is, presumably, after all or many of the True Runes (as evidenced by the existance of Luc and Sasarai, which I believe is commonly accepted as true though I can't directly site). So to my knowledge (please enlighten me if there's something I missed here) the only know actual EVENT of pursuing a True Rune prior to the rumors of his disappearance (Harmonian Rebellian in 237 cited for this time loosely) would be the Gate Rune Clan Massacre. Of the 27 True Runes, Harmonia has definitely not captured even half in the span of nearly 500 years (If anyone has any semblance of an idea how many True Runes are in Harmonian control please do tell) and at this time I have not seen any information that could show that there is a way to actively track a True Rune. This would make it incredibly difficult to search for a True Rune keeping in mind that in so far True Rune bearers tend to keep their runes a secret.....

3. Geographic Proximity - Aronia was replaced by Harmonia via Hikusaak's actions. However nothing I've seen shows conclusively that Aronia was not much smaller in size than Harmonia, but rather the opposite is proven with cases like Le Buque being annexed. The physical topology of the Suikoden world shows that the Gate Rune Clan Village would be in Harmonia from what I understand (I spent quite a while pouring over some maps and information links about Harmonia, Aronia, and Gate Rune Village, but it was hard to be conclusive so please mention any misinterpretations I've had). It would not be precarious to presume that anyone from the Gate Rune Village would have contact with or knowledge of societies or people in the neighboring areas. As such, anyone would be more likely to end up in Aronia than say far south in the Kooluk Empire (or whatever it was at the time) regardless of situation. Comparing the size of the world to the known regions shown in the games thus far, concerning simple ratio of number of True Runes to planet surface area alone shows that coming across a True Rune statistically is an immensely daunting task.

Presumptions Based on Details Above
▪ Hikusaak was originally from the Gate Rune Clan's Village
▪ Hikusaak left for some reason and ended up in Aronia
▪ Hikusaak had prior knowledge of the Gate Rune Clan's True Rune leading to the Massacre

Conclusion - There are far too many holes to fill in here since so little is actually known of course, so feel free to slip in your own ideas on plot where you feel it a necessity.... My goal here was to provide relevant facts to support my theory on Hikusaak's possible Gate Rune Clan origins.... Doing so while using the data above and NOT supplementing with other theories at the same time was hard so cut me some slack please.... This is my first time really analyzing a story and attempting to foreshadow events.... Regardles, my mind is set on this theory, so what I want here are debunkers to challenge my facts and supporters to supply more that I have not caught.... But I'm sure it'll mostly be "My theory is...." or "Your theory is...." so feel free to do that too~!

P.S. - Many thanks go to:
▪ EternalOnslaught - For answering my question that allowed me to run with this idea~!
She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies.... - Lord George Gordon Noel Byron
Matthew McDohl

Re: The Hikusaak Gate Rune Origins Theory....

Post by Matthew McDohl »

I think you could be onto to something there. I have also noticed the similar name/coming from the same area resemblance.

Maybe Hikusaak is Windy and Leknaat's father... :?: :shock:
MAD 01-08-2004
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Their father? I don't know...I wouldn't go that far with some evidence to back it up. The theory Teck posted isn't crazy sounding or just a work of fanfiction, I can see it actually going in that direction.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

In that case Hugo the librarian is obviously a Karayan and Tengaar is also from the Gate Rune Clan.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

EternalOnslaught wrote:Their father? I don't know...I wouldn't go that far with some evidence to back it up. The theory Teck posted isn't crazy sounding or just a work of fanfiction, I can see it actually going in that direction.

I know it is out there...but If you think about it...It could be possible. That is just something i would throw out there...there really isnt any evidence to prove anything with Hikusaak or the Gate Rune Clan. Maybe, Windy was the neglected daughter and wanted to seek revenge on her Father, Hikusaak for abandoning her and killing everyone they knew.

You also know how in those "olden" days how militaristic men always want a son...well maybe Hikusaak created Luc and Sasari as the "sons he never had" since he had 2 girls.

Just another fun theory.
MAD 01-08-2004
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:In that case Hugo the librarian is obviously a Karayan and Tengaar is also from the Gate Rune Clan.

There are always exceptions to everything...
MAD 01-08-2004
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The "theory" hinges on one single thing: a percieved similarity in the names.

The fact that it can't be completely disproven is not evidence of anything as you can use the same concept to argue that Neclord is Riou's father and that there's a True Flying Spaghetti Monster Rune.
Characterization Similarities
Hikusaak has no characterization to speak of, and the little he has does not match with Leknaat. The only point raised here is that they both have "aa" in their names. Just like Tengaar, another obvious Gate Rune Claner.

Given that there are exactly 2 names known that are connected with the Gate Rune Clan, e.g Windy and Leknaat, you do not have sufficient data to draw any conclusion on their naming customs.
Chain of Events Surrouding Hikusaak
Nothing in this has anything to do with his origins. The fact that he knew there was a rune in the Gate Rune Clan Village has infinite possible explenations.
Geographic Proximity
The location of the Gate Rune Clan has never been revealed so any map that showed it would be pure speculation based on nothing and as such is not evidence of anything. Even if it was true, and the location was in an area of present day Harmonia, it just serves to nullify the first point as there's nothing unusual about neighbouring countries sharing customs such as naming conventions.
Hikusaak had prior knowledge of the Gate Rune Clan's True Rune leading to the Massacre
Rather moot point. That does not mean he had to be from there to know it. He could have visited there during the Hero War, someone in his army could have visited there, someone in the army could be from the clan, someone in the army could have known someone who visited there, he could have heard a rumor and decided it was worth checking out, etc etc

Or he could simply have heard the name put 2 and 2 together as Gate Rune Clan and Gate Rune Village are not terribly imaginative names if you're trying to hide a rune called the Gate Rune.
Just another fun theory.
Try Unjustified. And that's in reference to Hikusaak being their father btw.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

While I agree with Raw that there isn't nearly enough data to support this theory, I do applaud your attempt to back it up with something, even if it isn't much. The world is filled with books (even highly respected scholarly books) by people arguing for a certain point of view on a subject containing limited data. You might not be able to be proven wrong, but you also won't prove yourself right; that is, until more data becomes available.

Unfortunately, Matthew has already bastardized your theory even more by posting that nonsense about Hikusaak being their father.
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

Iesous wrote:While I agree with Raw that there isn't nearly enough data to support this theory, I do applaud your attempt to back it up with something, even if it isn't much. The world is filled with books (even highly respected scholarly books) by people arguing for a certain point of view on a subject containing limited data. You might not be able to be proven wrong, but you also won't prove yourself right; that is, until more data becomes available.

Unfortunately, Matthew has already bastardized your theory even more by posting that nonsense about Hikusaak being their father.

Haha...its all just speculation...don't be sad.
MAD 01-08-2004
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Also, Leknaat and Hikusaak's names are not all that similar at all in the Japanese version.
EternalOnslaught

I'm oblivious to what their Japanese names are, could you enlighten me Vextor?
Teck

Post by Teck »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:In that case Hugo the librarian is obviously a Karayan and Tengaar is also from the Gate Rune Clan.
That was just the spark to give me the idea, I just wanted to present where I'd first gotten the interest for this theory.... Also I went on in the paragraph to show different ways that different names in the series were linked.... I'm not implying this part to be a fact (actually the whole "Characterization Similarities" section went way off topic and I was too tired and lazy to fix it before I posted, so you got me there), but you have to start somewhere right~? So I cited sources where it WAS true to suppose the possibility of another instance being true....
Raww Le Klueze wrote:That does not mean he had to be from there to know it.
I never said he was necessarily from there in my original point.... It was listed under my "presumptions" category for a reason.... Maybe I shouldn't have included that part, but it would have made my post too boring to discuss otherwise.... With only 100% facts, there's no discussion to be had on this at all....
EternalOnslaught wrote:Their father?
Well, I'm not willing to take it that far myself.... But I suppose that could also be possible.... To be honest I hadn't thought past establishing any kind of connection really, since I couldn't come to any reasonable idea over any other as to exactly what that connection could be....
Vextor wrote:Also, Leknaat and Hikusaak's names are not all that similar at all in the Japanese version.
I'm also extremely interested in this.... I know a tad bit of Japanese myself, but I never thought to check up on original spellings.... I'd like to see the original Kanji/Kana used....

An after note.... Raww, you seem to be displeased by my theory somewhat, so I'd like your thoughts on Hikusaak if you have any.... I believe it would be enlightening to my case here....
She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies.... - Lord George Gordon Noel Byron
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Leknaat is レックナート  while Hikusaak is ヒクサク in the Japanese version.
Teck

Post by Teck »

Vextor wrote:Leknaat is レックナート  while Hikusaak is ヒクサク in the Japanese version.
So using direct romaji translation it's "Rekkunaato" and "Hikusaku" then..... That show of emphasis difference in translation is helpful.... Thanks for citing Vextor....
EternalOnslaught

They are very different in spelling, thanks for clearing that up Vextor.