Gremio's Resurrection

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
DoReMi_Vampire

Re: Gremio's Resurrection

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Personally I don't think the time-travel theory holds any water. If Gremio was picked up by Leknaat before the moment of his death then who's soul exactly did the Soul Eater devour? If he never died then he shouldn't show up at the end when we see the four souls inside the rune.
Also, the fact that the rune gains a new level/spell after the point of his death proves that someone close to the bearer indeed must have been devoured.

If you read up on Gensopedia e.g, the place that the souls of the dead usually go to would be the "World of Emptiness". We actually get to see this world first-hand at the end of Suikoden Tacticts, and it's completly different from the world Gremio sees (in the ps Saturn version).

My theory would basically be that; Gremio got housed in the Soul Eater and while inside what he saw was actually the memories of the rune, he mistaked this for the afterlife which caused a misunderstanding with us players. After all, it's been established several times in the series that the True Runes can show their memories to people.

The most interesting questions come after this. Such as, was his soul split in two to store half of it in his ressurected body and the other half inside the rune and what effects would this have on him? Could he perhaps become immortal, could he control the Soul Eater, could he learn to search through the runes memories and reveal past mysteries et.c et.c.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
tadhi

Post by tadhi »

I think Leknaat really took gremio from the past before being devoured by man-eating spore..
making a parallel world where gremio was never died and vanished instead..

as for why soul eater still have gremio's soul "stored", it's because in that world gremio does died..
i mean gremio in soul eater's vision is not the same as gremio that being taken from the past
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

tadhi wrote:I think Leknaat really took gremio from the past before being devoured by man-eating spore..

as for why soul eater still have gremio's soul "stored", it's because in that world gremio does died..
i mean gremio in soul eater's vision is not the same as gremio that being taken from the past
Gremio mentions that his spores were at his feet at some point....so that means he was actually devoured :|
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

If we are to take into account that Blue gate is a child rune of the Gate Rune, it's possible that Leknaat has the çapability of summoning. Gremio might have come from the void.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

By the way, if the Blue Gate rune descends from the (true) Gate rune, are there any others? Like, a Red Gate rune, a Yellow Gate rune, a Purple With Cyan Polka Dots Gate rune, etc?
tadhi

Post by tadhi »

Sasarai10 wrote:
tadhi wrote:I think Leknaat really took gremio from the past before being devoured by man-eating spore..

Gremio mentions that his spores were at his feet at some point....so that means he was actually devoured :|
yeah, but leknaat could take him before that, right? :|

it's actually make sense, because gate rune is a gate between dimensions, and there are like space and time dimension..

sorry for my bad english :lol:
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

tadhi wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:

yeah, but leknaat could take him before that, right? :|

it's actually make sense, because gate rune is a gate between dimensions, and there are like space and time dimension..

sorry for my bad english :lol:
But the Soul Eater's power would be devoid if Gremio didn't die. Unless Leknaat is joking that she "revived" Gremio, but that's hardly her type.
tadhi wrote:as for why soul eater still have gremio's soul "stored", it's because in that world gremio does died..
Wait, what?

The game didn't shifted worlds.. There's no time travel involved so, the Gremio from the "past", is the same revived Gremio. You can't duplicate two people in the same time space continuum.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

The Soul Eater is sentient, I think it doesn't really need to eat a soul to activate a spell, it just demands it. When Gremio is resurrected, the Soul Eater just willingly surrender a soul without deactivating the spell for either of these two reasons: either it is bond to obey Leknaat's magical powers, or it shows genuine concern for Tir and a willingness to help him (which is obvious in the end when the Soul Eater rejects Windy even if she should technically be able to take the rune).

I think true runes are mostly passive but only because they feel like it, they are some sort of deities, they let living things having their ways, until there is a moment when they want to intervene, but they use this capacity scarcily, as when the Soul Eater rejected Windy. If the Soul Eater had the power to tell one of the most powerful wizards in the world to go f*ck herself, then it also has the power to grant a reward to Gremio & Tir without having to justify itself to anyone. It's a freaking deity, guys, it doesn't follow rules, it makes them!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:By the way, if the Blue Gate rune descends from the (true) Gate rune, are there any others? Like, a Red Gate rune, a Yellow Gate rune, a Purple With Cyan Polka Dots Gate rune, etc?
It might be a linguistic or cultural thing or some combination of the two. If I remember correctly, the Japanese version is always called the Pale Blue Gate Rune, but they switch back and forth in English between Pale Gate and Blue Gate. Calling it "pale" may refer to the fact that it's a child rune; "pale blue" could just describe the rune's appearance; it could be a double entendre; or it could be a reference to some sort of folklore. Since they didn't think ahead, even in the Japanese version, and refer to the Gate Rune as the True Gate Rune, or the Grand Gate Rune, or something like that, they were rather forced into attaching adjectives to any children it has.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

If you include the scenes from the Saturn version, it's clear that Gremio has crossed over into an afterlife of sorts. It's my belief that the Leknaat plucked him from the afterlife. I believe his afterlife body has just as much physical form and substance as his former earthly form.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Jack of All Trades wrote:If you include the scenes from the Saturn version, it's clear that Gremio has crossed over into an afterlife of sorts. It's my belief that the Leknaat plucked him from the afterlife. I believe his afterlife body has just as much physical form and substance as his former earthly form.
Yeah, it is shown here: http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs1/indepth/saturn.php

P.S. Just found the link in another thread where "I" theorized as well that the resurrected Gremio was a "past" version... But that was in 2012 anyway. OTL