Chinese Food?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Redheim

Chinese Food?

Post by Redheim »

In Suikoden 2, in the cooking competitions it says that a few carachters favorite food is Chinese food. How is this possible if they are in a fictional land, far from Earth? Either Konami didn`t think it through or the Suikoverse is meant to be on Earth. And I know it`s is most likely just an error, but I was just thinking I would bring this up.

BTW, this is also true with Japanese Stew, Recipe #34.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Chinese Food?

Post by KFCrispy »

practically every piece of fiction is like this. writers need to take elements that the readers can relate to and end up inserting unexplained objects from our world into the fake one. does it make sense that everyone always speaks the language that the reader can understand and therefore people from distances away or even from other dimensions understand each other (or simply have some plot device that automatically translates)? it's just part of writing..
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

Also, they can't say "A loves Dunan food" because not all of Dunan looks like China... They still have their own specialty, there are Kobold Meat Pie, Elf/Matilda/Kobold Course, etc.

There's a character that loves "western food" as well even though "western" in Suikoden maybe not really like our "western".

Afterall, everything people make are partially inspired by real life elements.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I agree with you entirely, just bringing it up. ^_^
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

Don´t forget the asian herbs, wonder how they are:)
venetis

Post by venetis »

KFCrispy wrote:practically every piece of fiction is like this. writers need to take elements that the readers can relate to and end up inserting unexplained objects from our world into the fake one. does it make sense that everyone always speaks the language that the reader can understand and therefore people from distances away or even from other dimensions understand each other (or simply have some plot device that automatically translates)? it's just part of writing..

I fully agreed with you.. Everyone wants a fiction and many they try to relate it with tvshows games, movies and foods...
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

lol2008

I fully agree Krispy -- it's necessary but will never stop bugging me. XD
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

vextor mentioned in one of the other topics (that happens to be practically identical to this one in content) that the use of words like chinese, japanese, asian, western, etc. are part of the translation process, and are not literal interpretations of the original game text.

edit: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 563#p86563
for reference
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

Maybe they should have Vietnamese or Thai food in the next game. I do love Thai food. And not to mention Nuoc Cham.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!