The 108 Stars of Destiny (the forgotten force)

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

The 108 Stars of Destiny (the forgotten force)

Post by suiko2fan2 »

so in all the main 5 games so far, we all know the drill get a hero, a TR or something close to it, fight the enemy, get a HQ, Collect 108 stars, save the day and bring peace to the land once more..lol *some spoilers*....

Most people love SUikoden games because they are rich in story, but also have a plethora of characters to collect and use. most of them are fun and enjoyable to get and use and battle and have around your castle. But we tend to forget how powerful they are when collected together....i mean they do more than give us the 'good endings' at the end of the game. the 108 stars of heaven and earth are a powerful in the suikoverse, which i think we tend to under appreciate in light of all the attention and time focused on the 27 TR, but even a true rune it seems will bend its will sometimes and give into the force of the 108 stars.

****spoilers*****
In Suiko1 the power of the 108 bring combined with the Gate Rune brings gremio back, In S2 the 108 stars not only unlock riou's 4th magic attack, but they also saved Jowy's life and at the same time bent the will of the all powerful Rune of Beginning. In S3 it's a little different, all you really get is luc's story, but in 4 the 108 stars forced the RoP to go from atonement to forgiveness. In S5, the 108 stars allowed you to save Leon. So we see the powerful force of the 108, they can work miracle and after miracle that some times goes under appreciated.

So remember the next time you play a suikoden they're forces at work that even the TRs will sometimes submit too and getting all of the characters is just 1/2 the fun of the game. :)
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Mikain Clan King

Re: The 108 Stars of Destiny (the forgotten force)

Post by Mikain Clan King »

I agree with the 1/2 part, and It feels more rewarding to when you get all the characters by yourself without looking up how to get them, may take a while but its satisfying.

(Sadly I have to re-do number 3...so far that took the longest and the camera angles were frustrating at times, but that can't take away the greatness of suikoden...then I'll have to re-do 4 too, then I'll go for tactics, I have it I just never actually went more than 5 hours into it, and it seems like all I'll have to do is side quests to get new people so it should be easy....)
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

I didn't get to revive Gremio the first time I play. But I think Suiko 3's SoD are the easiest. I think there's no SoD that you can miss permanently. Unlike in Suiko 2 where there are some people you can miss entirely like Jess and Gilbert.

CMIIW
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Paler than Moon wrote:I didn't get to revive Gremio the first time I play. But I think Suiko 3's SoD are the easiest. I think there's no SoD that you can miss permanently. Unlike in Suiko 2 where there are some people you can miss entirely like Jess and Gilbert.

CMIIW
I didn't bring him back the first or second time. It's because I forgot to talk to Sonya and recruit her BEFORE I talked to Mathiu. .

Also, I agree. . the 3rd game was the easiest to get all 108 people.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Mikain Clan King

Well, this next play through should be interesting then since people seem to think Its easiest to get all people....one question thoughh, did you use the internet to find them or what, cause I don't and it makes it alot harder :? ...and since this one is 3-D I think it will still be harder...Suikoden 1 was pretty easy if I'm remembering correctly...(was happy when I stumbled upon Crowley in that cave :) ).
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Nah, I usually just used that investigator guy. But then he became redundant since I would just run into those people when I go from town to town.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

I didn't get to revive Gremio the first time I play. But I think Suiko 3's SoD are the easiest. I think there's no SoD that you can miss permanently. Unlike in Suiko 2 where there are some people you can miss entirely like Jess and Gilbert.
I think you can miss a bunch of chars towards the end of the game, when you have to protect the people of Le Buque with Gedooe you have to choose to defend them a couple of times. Then you get Duke and his crew. I think they are the only ones missable but i haven´t gotten this confirmed.

Otherwise i think recruting is pretty easy in the Suikoden games, you just have to choose the friendlier alternative to questions and check the towns often after story events (with a few exceptions). As for S 3, recruitng was really easy due to Kidd. He almost always says what you have to do to get the chars.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

I look for guides before I actually play the games, I end up memorizing so many stuff that I don't need the guide after that. However, I didn't have any guide for S1 and the real first time I played it I was stuck in Neclord bust my brain...

Playing without guides is indeed hard as you'd never know which character can go forever without notice...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Mikain Clan King

Its also annoying when you find the person and don't know there requirements, after every major event I was checking in on Crowley lol.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

well it would be a breakthrough if the writers find another resulting power from the 108 SoDs

aside from bringing the dead back to life scheme

it's a corridor of cliches and dead ends

hmm...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Paler than Moon wrote:I look for guides before I actually play the games, I end up memorizing so many stuff that I don't need the guide after that. However, I didn't have any guide for S1 and the real first time I played it I was stuck in Neclord bust my brain...

Playing without guides is indeed hard as you'd never know which character can go forever without notice...
especially true with Suikoden IV and V. Suikoden IV requires a ton of exploration and your "investigator" won't even list the character unless you've met him/her! Suikoden V has demanding deadlines you have to meet; even if you're following a guide it might not tell you to go talk to so-and-so after each story even to progress the recruitment process with them.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

Mio wrote:well it would be a breakthrough if the writers find another resulting power from the 108 SoDs

aside from bringing the dead back to life scheme

it's a corridor of cliches and dead ends

hmm...
Ba-bump.

In Suikoden I it allowed Leknaat to open the Back half of the Gate Rune (In theory, into the past) to create a gateway through time and save Gremio. No one was revived.

In Suikoden II it released Forgiver Sign, revealed Nanami never died, and allows you to complete the Rune of Beginning to save Jowy. No one was ever revived.

I'm not sure about Suikoden III since it was never released in PAL, or IV, since I never got a copy, but it seems to me that it only ever "revived" Lyon. I might be wrong though, as I've only played V once.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

If someone was dead, in normal time, then comes back, in normal time. Then i'd say that's revival right there. The stuff he says, the extra stuff that's ni the Saturn version of the game quite verifies that he got brought back, not just ported through time.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Well, revived or stopped someone from dying. It's pretty much always the same thing and I'd love to see something else happening.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

You get more than just Luc's story in Suikoden 3. Thats' just the reward to the gamer for gathering the stars. In terms of the plot, the stars do actually accomplish something. At the end, Leknaat says something about Luc's soul being redeemed by the 108 stars.

"Luc, you challenged God like a fool. You disregarded a million lives with a cursed soul, but I forgive you and bless you. You're human, too. I bless your soul. My apprentice, my son, child of a cursed rune, you're a human child. One that can sleep now. Even though Destiny can be brutal, it will allow you to rest. 108 stars will bless you. Man is powerful enough to change destiny. No matter how futile our struggles seem, they all make a difference!"

So, the implication is that the 108 stars (the force, not the people) forgive and bless Luc, making him human. Basically, it gives his life meaning when he thought that he was not really human because of his origin as a clone.