St. Loa

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Lovecraft_elder

St. Loa

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

In some parts of Hamonia and the countries surrounding it, we hear about a goddess or a saint called Loa. I haven't played much of S3 (Damn PAL-television), and I'd like to know what exactly we do know about her?
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
rhombus

Re: St. Loa

Post by rhombus »

Hm, well they worship her in Zexen. I think some NPC mentions that she has horns. Uh, I think that's about all we know.
Erk in danger!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I thought Sadie was the goddess they worshipped? I know thats what they do in Iksay....
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

They definitely say in Vinay del Zexay that they worship St. Loa. There's some NPC talk about it, the "knights of St. Loa", and all the council members swear on the goddess in the council meetings.
Erk in danger!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

St. Loa is the primary goddess of Zexen. She is also called "Horned Loa."

Sadie is a goddess of harvest who is worshipped in Iksay.
JanusThePaladin

that would x-plain it, but is there anything else known about either of them?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Not much is known about either. However, it seems to be canon that they are both "fake" deities, mainly because true runes are actual supernatural forces in the Suikoden World that function like deities. St. Loa and Sadie are both Zexen cultural constructs and they probably don't actually exist.
Lovecraft_elder

I had no clue that she was reffered to as a horned goddess. Am I the only one thinking Yohn? Uhh... I'm excited! :3
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Lovecraft_elder wrote:I had no clue that she was reffered to as a horned goddess. Am I the only one thinking Yohn? Uhh... I'm excited! :3
Uh.....I was thinking the same.....but I'm doubtful. It's been such a long time since Yohn had been in the human world....
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Iku

Post by Iku »

but jesus hasnt been around for a while...
its a possibility if you ask me maybe slight but a possibility nonetheless
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
JanusThePaladin

Lol, that made me chuckle.

Has konami said they are false gods? Because the spirits of the grasslands have little to nothing to do with true runes, but the grasslanders worship them like gods, and they DEFINITELY existed.

Just a thought...
Lovecraft_elder

Besides, Yohn seems to belong to a race that inherit the Empty World, other of her kind could have visited the Suikoden world before her.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Lol, that made me chuckle.

Has konami said they are false gods? Because the spirits of the grasslands have little to nothing to do with true runes, but the grasslanders worship them like gods, and they DEFINITELY existed.

Just a thought...
Mother nature isn't worshiped as a "god", is she? Those nature spirits are probably closer to her, as opposed to our concept of "god".

As true runes are considered the only true supernatural powers that be in Suikoden, one may question the legitimacy of the worships in Holy Kingdom Harmonia and Nagarea Theocracy. Religions are even more central to the ruling of those nations, compared to Zexen's St Loa and Sadie.
JanusThePaladin

I always took the Harmonian Theology to revolve around the True Runes, as this allows their hunt for them without worrying about how the masses would accept it.

We know almost nothing about the Nagarean theology.

However, it definitely seemed to me that the Grasslanders worshipped the spirits in S3, especially when they went as far as to ask them for protection. And the spirits definitely exist as Yun and Aila, and maybe Yumi (not sure on that one) were able to communicate with them.

For me this raises the question of whether there are like spirits inhabiting other lands, like the Toran Republic or Dunan.
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

The spirits of Alma Kinan, however, are tied into the 27 true runes. If you use Chris as your FC, you see a scene with Yun saying she's become part of the true runes or something like that. Really, there's nothing saying that St. Loa or Sadie can't just be different names of manifestations of the true gods also. Anyway, while the 27 true runes seem to be the "true" and active pantheon of Suikoden gods, I get the feeling that they're not the be all and end all of the Universe - "higher" concepts like order, chaos, destiny and fate seem to transcend even the true runes, which somewhat implies the underlying existence of an even truer god/spirit/force, what have you.
Erk in danger!