St. Loa

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Lovecraft_elder

Re: St. Loa

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

But the 27 True Runes symbolize the 27 forces/powers of the world, meaning that there should be a True Rune matchin on order (Circle Rune) and chaos (Eightfold?). As for fate and destiny, could it be that the 108 Stars of Destiny are some kind of higher power too? According to the game mechanics, the 108 Stars overrule the power of the True Runes (i.e. Suikoden 2: You can't use Forgiver Sign before you've acqcuired the 108th star). Perhaps fate and destiny resides within the power of the 108 Stars... or something like that.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Luc says that Zexen worships fabricated gods within Suikoden 3, although he can possibly be lying -- or he may not know the truth. In-character knowledge can be wrong even if it's canon, after all. Luc also mentions "Balance, the god of adjustments" in one of the "gray world" episodes (I think it was Hugo's one, but it may have been Chris or Geddoe). This may refer to an actual deity called "Balance," or he may be refering to something more abstract. Luc does mention how he intends to "kill god" after all, which makes one think that some sort of corporeal ontic entity exists-- but Luc might also be speaking in metaphores, and indicating that he intends to "destroy balance" between order and chaos.
Lovecraft_elder

Or Luc could simply referre to his True Wind Rune - which he in fact wish to destroy. True Runes grant god-like abilities, so they could be referred to as gods... I guess.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I dont remember that quote, and i just played the game, can you give me context? Or does it require a specific FC?
Lovecraft_elder

I just played the first scene with Leknaat in S2 today, and I noticed that she referres to "the great scales of Fate." That too could be some kind of deity.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

i find it likely their are tons of gods/demons/goddesses/demonesses in the Suikoverse, but I'd be willing to bet they're governed and controlled by the True Runes and Fate.
Lovecraft_elder

I agree. It seems that the 27 True Runes and destiny is the highest powers
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

In Suikoden II, you can find a church in Tinto (the place where you kill Neclord) and in said curch there's a big picture of a "woman" wielding a weapon with beams of light surrounding her in the church wall. Since Tinto is located near Zexen and Grassland, do you think it's possible that Tinto and Zexen worshiped the same deity?

Also, in the legend of the creation of True Runes, they mentioned Darkness, Tear, Sword and Shield. I can really imagine those 4 being worshiped as deities in the Suikoden World as they are aspects that leads to the birth of True Runes (which is regarded as gods).
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.