The Modern Kooluk?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Lovecraft_elder

The Modern Kooluk?

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

Hello.
This is actually my first post on this forum, but here goes.

We know a little about how the Kooluk empire was, and how it was disolved. On all Suikoden world maps I have ever seen, the coutry where Kooluk was now reads "Former Kooluk Empire."
Do someone know anything about the way the country is today? How it is ruled? State of the country and so on?
Or do anyone have any guesses?
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: The Modern Kooluk?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There is no modern Kooluk, that's what dissolved means.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The game says that some towns got absorbed into other countries, and some simply became abandoned. So life in the Former Kooluk Empire depends on where you are. Either you're living as a Scarlet Moon/Toran, or Island Nations citizen (or perhaps other countries we haven't heard of), or your day involves watching tumbleweed blow by.
Lovecraft_elder

Okay. Thanks for the fast answars : )
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Speaking of absorbed territories of Kooluk.

Could anyone tell me what the fait of the El Eel fortress was?

To speculate: If I were the Island Nations Federation leader I would go about taking in the fortress to serve as a "Rock of Tribrulter" type defense base to counter aggression from neighboring nations.

Thank You
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

That would be my guess for Fort El-Eal (that the Island Nations would take it over in some capacity). Port Merseto too, given that its a trading city, and that'd probably be the main route for goods to go north towards Scarlet Moon. But none of the games that take place later in the storyline give any clue.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

We never know if they ever rebuilt the fort.
Lovecraft_elder

My guess would be yes: they did rebuild it. Can't see no reason not to do so...
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Not necessarily - rebuilding it costs money, and since they no longer had an enemy to the north (and considering the Island Nations Federation don't seem like a particularly militaristic nation), a huge military base there might not have been worth it. Of course, they could've rebuilt it as a port town or something. Maybe we'll never know...