The World

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Kobold

The World

Post by Kobold »

I have a question...

Is the Suikoden world round?

Judging by all the locations that has been revealed so far, Harmonia is the furthest north while Falena/Nagarea is the furthest south.

So far, Konami has been happily revealing locations north and south but almost never east and west. This makes the Suikoden world kinda... Long...

Until they wacked in an eastern and western continent which we generally have no idea how their geographical point might be like except via guessing.

And i'm sure we can all agree that due fumi's map is probably the most feasible guess and most convenient thing available for us to picture the suikoden world.

Being rather... Long... One would wonder if Falena is that far away from Harmonia. That is if the suikoden world is round as well. Afterall, Cathari said that Harmonia was watching Falena and the things going on for their internal struggle and might intervene if necessary. If we're imagining Harmonia to be faarrrr north like it shows on the map, that's basically the furthest country away from Falena.

While i won't deny that Harmonia has the power to meddle with any country however far away, one would imagine Harmonia could actually go by sea the other way round and reach Falena which would probably be pretty nearby unless Konami actually has the other half of the globe yet to be revealed to us. That's if the world is round of course..

Then again, this brings us to another question... Shouldn't Falena and Harmonia be like... Cold? Does the Suikoden world even have north and south poles? Well, all these questions just leads to more mind boggling questions...

Of course, we could assume the suikoden world is flat, and Templeton is gonna get his wish one day... With which, i'd be asking how near Falena/Harmonia is to this wonderful edge of the world... Templeton should probably start heading towards Falena/Harmonia is he wants to achieve his aim of reaching the edge of the world...

One would also wonder if Konami is actually gonna continue Suikoden long enough for us to even have a glimpse to my questions... They'd probably have to start expanding east and west now seeing how since the early years of the series, it has always been potrayed that Falena was south and south and the nameless lands and Harmonia are essentially north. I personally doubt Konami will throw anything norther or souther than that...
Long time lurker...
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I don't see why Falena and Harmonia would have to be cold. Even assuming the Suikoden world is round, we don't know how big it is. There could be a south pole, with three continents we've never seen between it and the Falenan continent. Same with Harmonia.

You're making too many assumptions about the entire world just from Die Fiumi's map. Its a great and accurate map, but we don't know if it covers 50% of the world, or 5%.

My guess, just based on the climates we've seen, is that the Island Nations are somewhere around the equator. What we've seen of Harmonia (Caleria) seems to be quite warm, but that's the southern end of the country. I don't know how other parts of the country are portrayed in the Suikogaidens. Everything we've seen south of the Island Nations is warm (except Ashtwal Mountains cause of the altitude). If there's a continent south of the Falenan one, I would imagine it'd be temperate, maybe like Dunan.
Black Silver

Re: The World

Post by Black Silver »

@Kobold
I have a Question

must the North-Pole or the South-Pole be a cold Region?
The World of Suikoden can be completely different from our world! Do You agree with me?
Admin of Suikoden3.de

don´t punish me. My English is not the best! I hope You will understand!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yes. Because in order to be a pole it has to be situated at 90 degrees from the equator, the warmest point of any planet, and due to being fixed in relation to the planets axis.

As such any polar region will be subject to less intense solar radiation and will always have a frigid climate. If we play at the idea that the solar radiation is intense enough to make the poles have a warm climate then the planet would not be able sustain any life as it would scorch everything that wasn't on either of the poles.

So yes, a North or South Pole must be a cold region, this why it's called a Polar Climate.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Yes. Because in order to be a pole it has to be situated at 90 degrees from the equator, the warmest point of any planet, and due to being fixed in relation to the planets axis.

As such any polar region will be subject to less intense solar radiation and will always have a frigid climate. If we play at the idea that the solar radiation is intense enough to make the poles have a warm climate then the planet would not be able sustain any life as it would scorch everything that wasn't on either of the poles.

So yes, a North or South Pole must be a cold region, this why it's called a Polar Climate.

...assuming their entire universe works the same way ours does. this is fiction. it can follow any rules the writer want it to follow.
Black Silver

Post by Black Silver »

KFCrispy wrote: ...assuming their entire universe works the same way ours does. this is fiction. it can follow any rules the writer want it to follow.
And that is what i mean.

You must think about the Suiko-World as a completly other Dimension. You can not deal it with our earth-Physics.
It´s almost possible that the equator is in the Region of Harmonia and the NorthPole are in the Ashtwal-Mountains of Falena.
Admin of Suikoden3.de

don´t punish me. My English is not the best! I hope You will understand!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Suikoverse already defies plenty of rules with magic, runes, humanoids, teleporting, time travel..... they can easily just say the south pole is a burning desert or tropical forest and can create an ice field on their "equator". even if they want to follow the same earth-sun relationship we have, they can just say some magic happened.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

...assuming their entire universe works the same way ours does. this is fiction. it can follow any rules the writer want it to follow.
Using that logic I can say that they breathe Carbon Monoxide rather than Oxygen and that the water is actually mercury. There's no information that suggests they follow vastly different rules from ours and as such you can't assume they don't share the same basics.
You must think about the Suiko-World as a completly other Dimension.
Must? We must? Please point out where it states that they threw out every single law of nature when they made this world up.
the Suikoverse already defies plenty of rules with magic, runes, humanoids, teleporting, time travel.....
Magic, Runes, Teleporting = same thing, different name, it's all magic. This is the only particular difference known, they have magic.
humanoids
So... you're saying monkeys don't exist..?
time travel
I'm sorry, but if Stephen Hawking can't say with 100% certainty that Time Travel is impossible I doubt you can.
they can easily just say the south pole is a burning desert or tropical forest and can create an ice field on their "equator"
Not without disregarding and twisting every meaning of the words to the point where they're not what the words describe.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

KFCrispy wrote:the Suikoverse already defies plenty of rules with magic, runes, humanoids, teleporting, time travel..... they can easily just say the south pole is a burning desert or tropical forest and can create an ice field on their "equator". even if they want to follow the same earth-sun relationship we have, they can just say some magic happened.
Maybe the planet will be shaped like a hexagon! But seriously you're right it's all fiction, I see your point.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Raww, you just contradicted yourself completely. STOP trying to act like you live in the Suikoden world and know how it works.
Must? We must? Please point out where it states that they threw out every single law of nature when they made this world up.
Magic, Runes, Teleporting = same thing, different name, it's all magic. This is the only particular difference known, they have magic.
go look up the definition of MAGIC.
So... you're saying monkeys don't exist..?
monkeys exist but it is impossible for ducks, dogs, lizards, etc to be on the level of those in the Suikoden world. and no, ELVES don't exist.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Raww, you just contradicted yourself completely.
No I didn't. Magic doesn't contradict every law of nature that exists and in this particular case it has it's own definitions and limitations.
STOP trying to act like you live in the Suikoden world and know how it works.
I'm not doing that any more than you are when you say that no rules apply so shut it.

If we take what you're saying as fact and that Konami can make a pole that defies all logic and definitions then you'd automatically have to concede that nothing in the games can be taken at face value and as such when Yuber says he wants chaos you'd have to concede that chaos could be the suiko-worlds word for peanut butter and the whole world is just a giant loaf of bread and the True Runes are fighting over how much peanut butter vs jelly there should be on it.

That makes the games very difficult to play and understand as if someone says "I'm thirsty" it actually means "I'm horny" because Konami can change the meaning of words to their liking after all. And sure, they could do that but it would make for one hell of a confusing game experience when no one can be sure of anything so rather than that I like to assume that they are indeed basing their world on the real one.

Do you play differently and assume that any word can mean any thing? I doubt it, like everyone else you assume that chaos is chaos as defined in this world and that if someone is thirsty they probably want a drink like in this world, in other words you are basing everything the games tells you on how you know things to be in this one, but now you say we can't do that because it's a fantasy world and no rules apply.

No, I think I'd prefer to keep assuming that most things are like the real world in that regard, simply because it makes a hell of a lot more sense and in that vain I'm going to assume that a pole is a bloody pole if the suiko-world has one until they indicate otherwise.
go look up the definition of MAGIC.
Definition of something that doesn't exist and is left up to the interpretation of each observer? Sounds like a plan.
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok if you're too lazy to do it i'll copy-paste it for you: any art that invokes supernatural powers

and what does supernatural mean? not existing in nature or subject to explanation according to natural laws; not physical or material; "supernatural forces and occurrences and beings"

and runes are not JUST "magic". True Runes are the GODS of the Suikoverse. do gods exist in our universe? well, let's not waste time arguing that here, but we can ask other things.. how about Elves? Griffons? Dragons? walking Skeletons? Chimeras? summons from other worlds?
what part of a "fantasy world" do you not understand? it sure looks like the geography of the world is similar to ours but only the parts that have been defined.

and yes, they can breathe carbon dioxide if you want to believe that, but since it's not stated anywhere, just like the ice pole being cold OR not is hot stated anywhere, you cannot say it's true.
EternalOnslaught

Face it, it's fantasy. It doesn't have to follow some guidelines of logic/reality. Simply arguing over this is pointless. The creators will do whatever they please to do, technically they are the Gods of Suikoden if they wish to make changes that isn't similar or the exact same as our world than they can.

Yes, it would make sense if they depicted the majority of aspects of our world in their game, but they don't have too..simply. What if Suikoden was just a dream that someone was dreaming? Major blow to the series, yeah. You get what I am saying...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

i'll copy-paste it for you: any art that invokes supernatural powers
Copy-pasted from where? It better not be wikipedia... and that's very interesting because that would mean psychics are magicians and I've never heard anyone refer to them as such. And let's face it: Super-natural is a word put on multiple things that we either don't understand or believe in.

Take a car to 15th century and they're going to say it's magic even though you know it isn't.
but we can ask other things.. how about Elves? Griffons? Dragons? walking Skeletons? Chimeras? summons from other worlds?
Sounds about as plausible as god does so in essence, if you believe that there's even the tiniest chance that god exist then you'd have to believe the same for those things.
not stated anywhere
Just like it's not been stated anywhere that chaos is chaos so from now on everyone should assume that it's peanutbutter till Konami says otherwise.
EternalOnslaught

So you're saying if people believe in God, just a little bit. Than they have to believe in creatures based on myth and fantasy? There are really no evidence that such creatures have exists, just in folklore and what not.I won't get into religion, it's a bad topic to argue about.

However, I don't think if you believe in God, you have to automatically believe in those creatures. Technically they both can be consider myth, but that is based on opinion, thus it is a topic that is highy disputed.

As for the logic of the Suikoden world, anything is possible, I agree that the north or south pole can be a sea of lava or an area with fields of ice and icebergs. Or the equater could be covered in complete ice, who said they HAVE to have an equater. Most planets differ from earth as is. At least it's not a gas planet, that'd be hard to explain, or maybe it has rings of particles like saturn and sixteen moons.