Question about Armored Cavalry in Suik I

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Greywolf

Question about Armored Cavalry in Suik I

Post by Greywolf »

Teo's armored cavalry is mounted on some sort of weird beast with a tail. Does anyone know the name of this animal? Also, is there a picture of this animal on Suikosource anywhere? Thanks much.
"Wisdom begins with wonder." -- Albert Einstein
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Im pretty sure there are no actuaql pictures of them, maybe a sprite somewhere but Ive never seen one on here. A description of the horse creature your on about is on suikosource history section on Toran I think.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Question about Armored Cavalry in Suik I

Post by Vextor »

Greywolf wrote:Teo's armored cavalry is mounted on some sort of weird beast with a tail. Does anyone know the name of this animal? Also, is there a picture of this animal on Suikosource anywhere? Thanks much.
They are called Gul-horses.

You can see them in action if you download this movie (opening of Saturn version Suikoden 1):

http://www.suikox.com/movies/ssopening.avi

Make sure you right click and "save link as"

Direct stream will kill my site.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Vector Xthonic wrote:
Greywolf wrote:Teo's armored cavalry is mounted on some sort of weird beast with a tail. Does anyone know the name of this animal? Also, is there a picture of this animal on Suikosource anywhere? Thanks much.
They are called Gul-horses.

You can see them in action if you download this movie (opening of Saturn version Suikoden 1):

http://www.suikox.com/movies/ssopening.avi

Make sure you right click and "save link as"

Direct stream will kill my site.
Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I needed to know.
"Wisdom begins with wonder." -- Albert Einstein
Mazinkaiser26

Post by Mazinkaiser26 »

they re kinda like a sub species of the dragon horses in suik 5
Let's Rock'n Roll! (Black Arachnia)
I don't Rock'n Roll, I Buuurn! (Inferno)

Mazinkaiser
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I had just assumed they were those thing you get to ride in Suikoden Tactics. It would make sense. Kooluk and the Scarlett Moon Empire neighbor each other, so maybe the animal is native to the area.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Did no one else wonder why Teo's unit and ONLY Teo's unit had access to Gul-horses? This always bugged me, particularly since cavalry is such a major element of medieval (and Suiko) warfare.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Lovecraft_elder

Post by Lovecraft_elder »

Well, he have the same question in S5. Why is it only the Dragon Calvarists who train Dragon Horses. Dragon Horses can run on water, and they are amazing in war, so why ONLY Dragon Calvarists?
My guess is just game mechanics. I mean, neither Teo nor the Dragon Calvarists would be nearly as cool if the gul-horses/dragon horses were bread and used everywhere. If the Queen's Knights had Dragon Horses too, the Dragon Calvarists would be... uninteresting.
"Everytime you try to drag real life physics into a fantasy setting, God kills a catgirl!" - Please, think of the catgirls!
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

But the Dragon Cavalry took great lengths to ensure that only they had access to the Dragon Horses, even building one of thier strongholds (Gordius) on top of the dragon horses's breeding caves. Plus, they remained neutral (or tried to) and therefore would not allow Queen's Knights to train with the dragon horses.

Meanwhile, the Scarlet Moon Empire clearly had access to a legion of Gul-horses, yet for reason, Barbarossa decided "Only Teo gets horses, so there. Hmph." Always bugged me.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Quing

Post by Quing »

As for the Dragon Horses, of course Gordius went to great lengths to keep them to themselves. If you have a military advantage, you want to make sure that only you have access to it. The Dragon Horse Cavalry was not a part of the Falenan military and so they were under no obligation to give them Dragon Horses.

As for the Gul-Horses, it could simply be the fact that they require special training to ride and perhaps that there were not as many of them as we might believe. If those are the case, then it makes sense to have one army that is trained in the riding of Gul-Horses and are therefore have only one army that is in need of them. Furthermore, the fact that Teo is the only one of the generals that does not have an area which he is protecting and governing, but rather seems to be the general that gets sent out on all of the faraway missions (combating ninjas up North, fighting rebels on Lake Toran, etc.,) suggests that his army would be the one most suited to the Gul-Horses. They're the ones fighting the battles and they're the ones doing the traveling. So they're the ones who need transportation and good mounts.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Apparenty Gul-Horses have severe problems in terms of endurance and for that reason were never considered as serious mounts in the Scarlet Moon Empire. They're apparently tough to handle as well, so they won't be the type of mount that would be accepted widely. Teo McDohl developled his own method on how to use these beasts of burden and had tremendous success. It seems like his knowledge wasn't passed on to others though-- either that or it takes too much effort.