Mysterious country mentioned in Suikoden 3?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
When Loopers Attack!

Mysterious country mentioned in Suikoden 3?

Post by When Loopers Attack! »

I believe it was one of the Zexen Merchant councilors who said something about a Southern Cities Federation or southern colonies. I don’t remember exactly who mentioned it. Does any one remember anything about this?
“Take everything that I am and devour it! Consume me so that we can be together forever!”

With those words, he gave everything to death and condemned himself to hell, but in doing so, he has attained true happiness. His love for her now complete.
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

Actually I recall hearing somewhere that there existed an unamed country south of the grasslands where one of the characters derived from.

If you look at the Suikdoen 2 booklet map you will see a grassy land west of Tinto which could be something in relation.

I myself hope that this is a new land for our suikoden world to exist within.
Masaya

Post by Masaya »

Since I believe that there was a war between Zexen and Tinto, I've always assumed that, it was Tinto in which that Counseler was speaking of. Ofcoarse that might not be the case as the Suikoden world seems to always suprise everyone with another land they mention in Suikoden 3 known as the Northern Outlands. (Thomas's homeland)
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

It might have possibly been the old Jowston state they were refering to. I forgot what they called it in the third game. Maybe it was Doran or something. Maybe that's it.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Dunan.

And I'd presume that they're talking about the wreck that was the Kooluk Empire.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I don't think people in Suikoden 3's time have much knowledge of Kooluk, which was destroyed over 150 years prior.

Twaikin is mentioned as being from a dwarven village south of the Grasslands.

I don't remember the 'Southern Cities Federation' reference, but it seems like they could be talking about Dunan, as Eroschilles said. Suikoden 3 probably has the worst translation/continuity of all the games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Or just some random place that hasn't been explored.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I played Suikoden III recently and the only City states mentioned is the Dunan one that I can recall.

The only mysterious country in the game is the one that Albert works for.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

KoRnholio wrote:I don't think people in Suikoden 3's time have much knowledge of Kooluk, which was destroyed over 150 years prior.
Which is why I said which was the Kooluk Empire. It could nowadays be a megre shamble of cities tied together in a looser fashion than Jowstone.
soonket

Post by soonket »

Doran might be toran too u know... but dunan is posssible too
Yuber: I look better in black armor and you know it! Why do you make me look like Michael Jackson instead ?!
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

KoRnholio wrote:Suikoden 3 probably has the worst translation/continuity of all the games, so I wouldn't be surprised. Or just some random place that hasn't been explored.
Uh... actually I'd say all the games are kinda bad about the past references, (Glowing Hand Mirror, True Holy Rune etc) and as much as we all love 2.... the translation was beyond abysmal. So while three had some really really amusingly butchered lines, it is hardly exclusive. The series from Japanese to English is absolutely riddled with plot inconsistencies. I

That said... we just know that the teritory in question was probabaly somewhere south. Who knows where considering just about everything in the Suikoden world that we have seen is south of the Grasslands. The only exceptions seem to be the Nameless lands, Kamaro which seems to be its own independent entity and parts of Harmonia.

Would it make sense for the reference to be to be on the same gneral continent? Probabaly. But it is not necessarily true considering we had references to far away lands in more or less every game. *shrug*
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Dura Sinai wrote: Uh... actually I'd say all the games are kinda bad about the past references, (Glowing Hand Mirror, True Holy Rune etc) and as much as we all love 2.... the translation was beyond abysmal. So while three had some really really amusingly butchered lines, it is hardly exclusive. The series from Japanese to English is absolutely riddled with plot inconsistencies. I

That said... we just know that the teritory in question was probabaly somewhere south. Who knows where considering just about everything in the Suikoden world that we have seen is south of the Grasslands. The only exceptions seem to be the Nameless lands, Kamaro which seems to be its own independent entity and parts of Harmonia.

Would it make sense for the reference to be to be on the same gneral continent? Probabaly. But it is not necessarily true considering we had references to far away lands in more or less every game. *shrug*
SIII still gets the crown from the others, for screwing up Sindar (Cyndar) and the Nameless Lands (Northern Outlands).

II was bad translation, but no real continuity errors.
IV inches closer with the Glowing Hand Mirror, but that's not like messing up an entire region of the world (Nameless Lands) and a major plot device (Sindar).

I sincerely believe the Southern Cities Federation is just referring to Dunan.
Last edited by thcrock on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

soonket wrote:Doran might be toran too you know
That would make sense. Aren't the D and T sounds translated similarly? Like Tao and Dao?
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
SOe

Post by SOe »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:
soonket wrote:Doran might be toran too you know
That would make sense. Aren't the D and T sounds translated similarly? Like Tao and Dao?
In chinese pinyin Tao and Dao will be pronounced differently and make completely different meaning.. sorry for spamming..