Ancient Armes, Sindarians in Falena's history

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Maybe the Ancient Armes kingdom only had the Sun Rune and not the Dawn and Twilight Runes. That might account for why the king went insane. The Sindar then came afterwards and brought the Dawn and Twilight Runes with them to try and help, but arrived too late, so they healed the land, built their ruins, and then left.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Well, here is a segment from Book 4 in Suikoden 5:
Long, long indeed, even hundred's of years before the arrival of the arrival of the legendary Sindar race, a mighty dynastic nation held power in this land. That nation was the Ancient Armes Dynasty. Blessed by the sun rune the dynasty was prosperous beyond compare...His madness caused the sun rune to go berserk, destroying everything in its path. The magnificent Armes Dynasty,the pinnacle of civilization, was gone in an instant. In it's place lay only dry and barren wilderness. Some theorize that the capital of this dynasty was near Amdort Mountain, in the center of the present day Queendom of Falena. However, no trace of the civilization remains. However, it's safe to say that if the sun rune indeed burned all vestiges of the capital to the ground, then there should be no remains to discover.
Based on this the Ancient Armes Dynasty appeared in Falena long before the Sindar Race. It seems hard to link them to the Sindarians based on this fact. But, it is interesting to note that various inscriptions in the ruins found under the big hole have markings similar to Sindarin. It is possible that the Sindarians found the ancient ruin there and made modifications to it, as well as sealed the spirit of the dead king.

What I find interesting is that the Sindarians erected a castle that utilized the Dawn Rune, which could cause it to be submerged by the Ceras Lake. That is interesting due to the fact that the land was more than likely barren when they reached it since they arrived before the first Queen of Falena, although speculation is that the first Queen was actually Sindarin with evidence in support..Book 6 to be exact, but that is also said to be conjecture. But, the first Queen obviously knew of Sindarin lore and made use of Sindarin relics.

Why would the Sindar use the Dawn Rune to erect a complicated system such as the sluice gate if the disaster caused by the King of Ancient Armes had passed and they did not plan to make Falena their permanent resident? Maybe they wanted to defend against another such catastrophe, but that is weird because they obviously researched the Sun Rune and knew of its power and how to mitigate its curse. Possibly, the Rune of Change made them continue to wonder so they made a place of sanctuary to offer protection for those that would later visit the land. Possibly, a few of their own kind stayed and used the castle as a home and died off there.

I would argue that the Sindar sealed the three runes in the ruins more than likely, but the ruins could have simply been a place to worship the Sun Rune.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the Books suggest that the Sindar were not related to the Ancient Armes Dynasty, but the similarities between them lead me to believe that the Ancient people of Armes may have in fact been descendants from the Sindar Race that chose to set off to the west before the rest of their race. It is very possible that the Leader of the Sindar felt responsible for the destruction caused by his descendants and felt compelled to clean up their mess before carrying on there next destination.