*Spoilers* Significance of Hair & the true Falena Ruler

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Lisard

*Spoilers* Significance of Hair & the true Falena Ruler

Post by Lisard »

Firstly, let me apologise. I can't find another thread discussing this, and I'm SURE it must have come up elsewhere. But the subject is bugging me SO MUCH that I have to ask what others think.

Hair. Yes, it is important. Bear with me.

Jeane had to dye her hair pink so to avoid people drawing connections between her and the Falena true royals. So we know that hair colour is significant in this game -- the designers felt it was important enough to make this change to one of the series most popular and established characters.

Towards the end, Sialeeds reveals that her hair is actually silver -- the colour all true royals have. Why do others think she reveals this? Is she just too busy to keep dying it now she is (apparently) batting for the other team? Does she do it to increase the mysteque surrounding her? Maybe she dyed it to lead people to believe the she couldn't be made to rival Arshtat for the crown ("hey look, you can't stir up conflict between us sisters, I can't be queen as my hair is the wrong colour!") in line with the pact she Arshtat and Haswar made. But still, why stop dying it at the end? Hmmmm....

And now, the thing that's really really bugging me. Lymsleia has brown hair. Why? Is she somehow not actually supposed to be queen? Is this an indication that Lyms isn't the TRUE intended ruler of Falena? Her brown hair marks her out as the daughter of a barbaian foreigner, rather than a true Falenan princess.

Or is Lym too, dying her hair for some myterious plot?

Theories and thoughts please!
Jalk

Post by Jalk »

*SPOILERS*

Well that's actually a pretty interesting point of view. My take would be that Sialeeds' change of hair is a kind of constant slap in the face of the Godwin family. They have conquered Sol Falena, which ended up with the death of Arshtat and Ferid, but here is Sialeeds, a legitimate member of the royal family - hence the white hair - and the only person able to wear the Twilight Rune efficiently. Quite humiliating for a family wanting to get rid of the whole dynasty.
Before that, I think Sialeeds dyed her hair in order to symbolicaly enforce the pact between her, Haswar and Arshtat : she put herself out of the succession line.

As for Lymsleia, I have an obvious answer, if not correct : Lym symbolizes changing times. Even if she is the legitimate daughter of Arshtat, she is also the offspring of a foreigner, and she chooses a Knight Captain who is NOT her husband.
Lym brings past and future together. She won't forget the problems her family had to face and will use her painfully gained experience to help Falena growing.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Jalk nailed it on the head, but that's a real nice theory going on. A lot of folks just say "Blah Blah Blah, Sialeeds' hair is white because of the Rune." However, Jalk's theory makes a lot of sense. As for Lym... I was going to simply say, it's obviously Ferid's Genes that gave her that hair color, but... as Jalk mentioned, it's also a lot of symbolism too.
- Kirkis
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

um..I always thought that Sialeeds hair was grey..some people get grey air at early ages and this could possibly be the case with sialeeds family

as for lym..well she's too young to have grey air
future_suikoden_writer

Post by future_suikoden_writer »

the color of the hair of lymsleias father is brown..so she adopt her fathers hair color..
CJack14dt

hair

Post by CJack14dt »

I just assumed Sialeed's dyed her hair as part of her whole beauty and fashion regimine and when she defected she just started not to care as much because other things that were going on in her life were beating her down and she no longer wanted to put the effort into it. Lym and the Prince I just assumed was genetics. The Prince got the hair but Ferid's gene's just won out with Lym. I mean look at the Barrows and Godwins. Marscal has black hair, Gizel has blonde. Euram and Luserina have blonde and there blood is all intermingled too. I might be biased to the whole gene thing though because I have blonde hair, brother's is brown, Dad's is black and Mom's is red.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Dude, she's just dying her hair blonde because she's overly concerned with her age. She constantly want people to stop calling her auntie. I hate to be a nay sayer because I love speculating but I say Nay, damn you, Nay...
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

i basically asked this question a week ago.

it seems little lym got her hair from ferid. lol
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Lisard wrote:Firstly, let me apologise. I can't find another thread discussing this, and I'm SURE it must have come up elsewhere. But the subject is bugging me SO MUCH that I have to ask what others think.

Hair. Yes, it is important. Bear with me.

Jeane had to dye her hair pink so to avoid people drawing connections between her and the Falena true royals. So we know that hair colour is significant in this game -- the designers felt it was important enough to make this change to one of the series most popular and established characters.

Towards the end, Sialeeds reveals that her hair is actually silver -- the colour all true royals have. Why do others think she reveals this? Is she just too busy to keep dying it now she is (apparently) batting for the other team? Does she do it to increase the mysteque surrounding her? Maybe she dyed it to lead people to believe the she couldn't be made to rival Arshtat for the crown ("hey look, you can't stir up conflict between us sisters, I can't be queen as my hair is the wrong colour!") in line with the pact she Arshtat and Haswar made. But still, why stop dying it at the end? Hmmmm....

And now, the thing that's really really bugging me. Lymsleia has brown hair. Why? Is she somehow not actually supposed to be queen? Is this an indication that Lyms isn't the TRUE intended ruler of Falena? Her brown hair marks her out as the daughter of a barbaian foreigner, rather than a true Falenan princess.

Or is Lym too, dying her hair for some myterious plot?

Theories and thoughts please!
And I am pretty sure that theory about Jeane hair is conjecture.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
EternalOnslaught

Or all we know, Konami could've simply done it for the hell of it. Or maybe the person that usually designs Jeane changed?

I don't know if this will make any sense or clear anything up on this subject, but any of you who used or still watch DragonBall Z, will notice that the beginning of the DBZ series, Vegeta was depicted with red hair, but later on he was shown with black hair.

The creators could've just decide to change her hair with no explanation at all.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

*SPOILERS*

Perhaps, It was a sign for a King to rise to power? since of The Hero's White silvery hair? And to show that Lym was a barbaric maniac? She do show some outbursts that perhaps would hurt the whole empire and maybe even destroy it?

As in, Declaring war on the island nations! the Scarlet moon empire or Invade Harmonia. Or even use the sun rune! With that anger of hers it wouldn't suprise me.

Since of she cannot use the sun rune either perhaps she is not meant to be the queen. And also! Why is Jeane helping the godwins with that!?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Siel Avadon wrote:And also! Why is Jeane helping the godwins with that!?
Cause they paid her well to attach some runes, nothing more. It was business, when the business was completed, she left, and ends up joining the Prince's forces.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

And to show that Lym was a barbaric maniac? She do show some outbursts that perhaps would hurt the whole empire and maybe even destroy it?
I'm not surprised that she had some outbursts and I think that she will grow out of it. She's only about 10 years old for Pete's sake! She's just had her parents mudered, been forced to marry and become a puppet queen, and forced to fight against her beloved brother. I think anyone, under those circumstances, would have some outbursts. As she grows older, she'll be fine.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

Agreed with Chris, i think people forget, she's not even a teenager.. lol
EternalOnslaught

It should be obvious that she would have outbursts, and many. She's a child, a queen but still a child. Despite her status, she is immature. Thus she really doesn't know when it is approiate to lash out and when it isn't. A lot of kids are like that, and some change when they grow up and others don't.

You just have to remember, she's not even a preteen. I thought she handle the situation like a trooper.

And has for the hair being a revelent factor involed in the Falenian Royal family seems obvious, but I am pretty sure there wasn't a Commander of the Knights like Ferid either. I believe he's the first of several great and noble warriors to come. So, the silver hair trend might fade away soon.