autocracy! schizophrenia!

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Pretty Like A Girl

autocracy! schizophrenia!

Post by Pretty Like A Girl »

autocracy is inherently evil, and yet there doesn't seem to be any terrible poverty in suikoden like there was in tsarist russia or during the middle ages. what up wid dat?

also, i haven't played suikoden 5 but apparently queen arshtat is dangerously bi-polar, is this true?
i am like a wall of flesh....
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

would you people PLEASE read the rules and ask Suikoden 5 questions in the proper folder?
Purr.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The reason for her alleged bi-polarness is one of the central plot devices in the story.

For more information, see her biography.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: autocracy! schizophrenia!

Post by patapi »

Pretty Like A Girl wrote:autocracy is inherently evil
And this is 'inherently' why?

On the other hand, technically speaking, I'm not surprised that poverty isn't that big a problem in Suikoden. All you need is a decent weapon and a field outside for a couple monster encounters, and you are set to grab some quick potch. You'd only end up in real poverty if you are bloody lazy.
Pretty Like A Girl

ah but!

Post by Pretty Like A Girl »

it is inherently evil because autocracy's are fuelled by the money made by peasant labourers, but controlled by a small elitist group, commonly the monarchy and the church. and so, this elite group also control said country's wealth while the workers live in utter squalor.
thats pretty evil and its obviously not something that can be changed or modified, as there are no more autocracy's. although one could argue britain is currently under the yoke of 'modern autocracy' but thats just the young scamp in me talking.

also, i dunno how an arthritic farmhand is gonna do against a pack of wolves that can cast thunder magic. or whatever.
i am like a wall of flesh....
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Autocracy... wait... isn't it Aristocracy?

Anyway... unlike games like Final Fantasy Tactics, I really haven't seen too much of the rich condemning the poor in the Suikoden series, most people live pretty fruitful lives despite the wars that occur around them... I'm sure there are a few instances, but I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head.
- Kirkis
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Kirkis wrote:Autocracy... wait... isn't it Aristocracy?

An autocracy is a country ruled by one person or a group of people with unlimited or uncontrolled power.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Okay, that makes sense then... I knew I should've dictionary.com'd it, but... I was feeling brave. Ohwell, so much for bravery, xD
- Kirkis
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Royal Family rules and is generally accepted as absolute ruler because the people worship the Sun Rune/sun/and its heritage. this is very similar to the Egyptians and ancient Romans. however, Falena already shows signs of democracy with its Senate system; this is a similar path to England's Parliament system and the Royal Family has transitioned into a purely a symbolic/traditional thing.

being so young and inexperienced, Lymsleia seems reminiscent of "The Last Emperor". from what i saw in the beginning of the game, it was the Senators making most calls and decisions in Falena already; i believe they will be granted more power but have more checks and balances with Lyms in control.

the "inherently evil" idea is just your opinion. evil is just a concept, itself, and its definition simply evolves to describe the things/people you don't like or don't want. let's just leave it at that.