Zexen Confederacy/Federation???

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
KQswst104

Zexen Confederacy/Federation???

Post by KQswst104 »

I've heard Zexen being called a Confederacy, a Federation and a Republic. Which form of Government is it??
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Zexen is more than likely a confederacy, due to its structure.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

Thanks, but writer of this:
Zexen Confederacy Also known as the Zexen Federation (translation is not verfied at this point 06/20/02), the Zexen Federation is a group of states ruled by a council/senate.
doesn't seem to know the answer either.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Well, there is no answer.
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

Well, that stinks. Is it a translation problem, or is Konami itself confused?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It's Konami for sure. SARSadmin knows Japanese so he'd know what Konami said in Japan as well. Konami is just way too fickle when it comes to most things.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The Japanese version calles Zexen as ゼクセン連邦 (Zekusen Renpoo), which translates to "Zexen Federation." So that _should_ be the official translation. But Konami can't make up their mind, thanks to their shoddy translations.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, if you want to know what type of government it has, then why don't you look at how it is run instead of fretting about the name? I don't know the differences between a Confederacy and a Federation when it comes to nations, but if you really want to know which one it is then maybe you do. What I gathered from it is the the leaders of various merchant guilds banded together, and each council member is the leader of a certain guild (Blacksmiths, or Cheesemakers, for instance), and the leaders of some of the more important trades make up the council. With my limited knowledge of those two governments, it sounds more like a Federation that way, which is more in line with the Japanese name.

Also, where did Republic come from? I haven't ever heard of anybody calling Zexen a Republic.
Sol Fury

Post by Sol Fury »

From my limited knowledge of political systems:
Federation: An alliance of self governing states, with two layers of government, local and international. Local politics dealt with internally, international politics dealt with by a council of representatives of all states in the federation.
A confederacy is an alliance of states that come together for mutual gain / defence, and are also controlled by an allied congress.
Both systems of government are fairly similar on paper, so either one can apply to Zexen. I'm guessing that's why the terms are used interchangeably.
Sasarai825

Post by Sasarai825 »

Who knows, for all we can guess, it's all three. Look at the title of the United States, it's a democratic republic. It's probably, in some small way, all three of these...forms of government
pesmerga reaper

Post by pesmerga reaper »

from what i learned in us history 9 a confederacy is where all states get a say but the national gov gets final ruling. federacy is where all states are more independent(ex: death penalty in some states and not in others)--confed is more centered around a national gov body (to my understanding). anyway i would say that zexen is a confederacy cause of the meetings held in vinay del zexay, and them trying to rule thomas' castle from so far away. everyone tell me if im wrong on something :lol:
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Well your sort of right. The Zexen council was trying to make Budehuc Castle(Thomas's castle) a part of Zexen Territoy when it was both Zexen and Grassland Territory.

BUt as I know I think Zexen is more of a republic more than both a federation and a confedercy because their aren't even states in Zexen.
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

Well, if you want to know what type of government it has, then why don't you look at how it is run instead of fretting about the name?
Because everytime I make a assumption like that, it turns out that in some Japanese publication it says something that shows I'm wrong. And like Tinto calling itself a Republic, yet being run by what is really a dictator, the Suiko series has had countries that have names different from what their forms of government actually are.
I've thought it was a Federation since seeing the council, though.

Also, where did Republic come from? I haven't ever heard of anybody calling Zexen a Republic.
I have forgotten, but I read it somwehere. Obviously I know that one is incorrect, but it shows how some people are even more confused about it than I am.
Delfina

Post by Delfina »

The US is a constitution-based federal republic.

Zexen appears to be ruled by a group of civilians, specifically merchants who are leaders of their respective Guilds. It's also been said that there are aristocrats, however, there doesn't seem to be any kind of formal structure set up wherein they rule. The Lightfellows were aristocrats, as are Borus' relations, but Percival's are clearly commoners. I suppose we should assume that the merchants count as aristocrats in this particular country, then. It would make the most sense.

A confederation is simply a group of persons, states, whatever that come together in a league of some kind. A federation is basically the same thing.

However, the main difference between the two is that the confederation's centralized organization will make rules, laws, etc that are only applicable to the sovereigns of the respective member states and organizations. It is up to the sovereigns to make up laws that follow the guidelines set by the centralized government and to apply them to their people. In a federation, the rules, laws, etc. are applicable to all members of the member states, even ordinary citizens.

Since I'm most familiar with the US government I can give you the example that the US Constitution overrules any State Constitutions. A few cases would be McCulloch vs. Maryland which established the US Constitution as the "supreme law of the land" and various civil rights cases that dealt with the states' (particularly Southern) unwillingness to adhere to the US Constitution in regards to letting minorities vote. I know there's more but I can't think of any right now.

So, uh, to conclude, I'm going to venture that Zexen is, indeed, a Federation (an aristocratic/oligarchical federation, to be sure) because there is some sort of centralized government implied with the Council.

Also, in regards to Budehuc being controlled by the Council, many countries have "territories" or "colonies" that are not considered autonomous and are controlled by the central government. That could be what they were intending to do with Budehuc until they had it established on its own.
Suikoman444

Post by Suikoman444 »

in the suikoden 3 manga they Chris called it the Zexan Commonwealth