spoilers! References to Previous Suikodens?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Wow, that's so neat. I wish I had a save point right near there. Well, it's yet more incentive to play it again :D
Since my wish was granted about seeing him in the game, now I wish I could play as him in the game. . . anyone do that? Just kidding. I'll just go play some Suikoden I again.

Edit: I don't know how people screen print games, but if anyone ever does get to that part and wants to screen print good old Milich for me I'd appreciate it (that'd be great wallpaper).
Rune Traverse

Post by Rune Traverse »

I haven't finished V all the way through yet - curse my 'rents being home and the addictive fishing game - but I've found a couple references to IV. Specifically, the Book of Condemnation. When you select the orb in your inventory (or the rune on the character's rune screen if you've already attached it) it says something like "spells derived from the Rune of Punishment." I know it's not a True Rune, because obviously you can take it off and put it on different characters. Still, maybe someone created it with the same principle as the Flowing / Mother Earth / etc. Runes?

Also, if you speak to the townswoman on the upper floor of the Great Hot Springs Inn in Yashuna, she'll mention she wants to take a trip to the Island Nations and see the Kingdom of Obel. I did it during Alhazred's recruitment quest, but she might say the same thing at other times, not sure.

As a sidenote, the best question EVER: Zweig, when Vicky asks where she is.

"How can you not know what country this is?"

Ooooooh, there are so many reasons. xDDDD
Potch is good. Lots of potch means equipment upgrades! ^^

Best question ever - Zwieg to Vicki, Suikoden V:
"How can you not know what country you're in?"

Oh, there are SO many reasons, Zwieg. *snerk*
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Rune Traverse wrote:I haven't finished V all the way through yet - curse my 'rents being home and the addictive fishing game - but I've found a couple references to IV. Specifically, the Book of Condemnation. When you select the orb in your inventory (or the rune on the character's rune screen if you've already attached it) it says something like "spells derived from the Rune of Punishment." I know it's not a True Rune, because obviously you can take it off and put it on different characters. Still, maybe someone created it with the same principle as the Flowing / Mother Earth / etc. Runes?

Also, if you speak to the townswoman on the upper floor of the Great Hot Springs Inn in Yashuna, she'll mention she wants to take a trip to the Island Nations and see the Kingdom of Obel. I did it during Alhazred's recruitment quest, but she might say the same thing at other times, not sure.

As a sidenote, the best question EVER: Zweig, when Vicky asks where she is.

"How can you not know what country this is?"

Ooooooh, there are so many reasons. xDDDD

there's ALOT of references to 4, chisato's puppet show,going into island nations territory, rune cannon sidequest to recruit yahr and nelis,rune of condemnation and the "Lino En Kuldez" ship thats docked in Nirva Island

and yes the rune of condemnation is born from the rune of puishment, it is equivalent to a 2nd tier rune, example would be a rage rune
Rune Traverse

Post by Rune Traverse »

Cool beans, I was right. *blinks* Woooow. Apparently, I have a LOT more to play through than I thought I did. Yay for Island Nations references!!

Gah, I so have to finish IV. *doesn't want to, as some of her favorites die* xDD
Potch is good. Lots of potch means equipment upgrades! ^^

Best question ever - Zwieg to Vicki, Suikoden V:
"How can you not know what country you're in?"

Oh, there are SO many reasons, Zwieg. *snerk*
Atman

Post by Atman »

Something I was wondering about; In Oboro's investigation of Murad, he says,
He and Silva studied medicine under the same teacher, who taught them all about "humanitarian principles," apparently.
The way that's phrased, it seems to me like it's supposed to be referrencing someone, but I can't recall any doctors of the other Suikodens talking about humanitarian principles. Maybe Liukan? Any thoughts?
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Atman wrote:Something I was wondering about; In Oboro's investigation of Murad, he says,
He and Silva studied medicine under the same teacher, who taught them all about "humanitarian principles," apparently.
The way that's phrased, it seems to me like it's supposed to be referrencing someone, but I can't recall any doctors of the other Suikodens talking about humanitarian principles. Maybe Liukan? Any thoughts?
If he were referring to a past SoD doctor; then Liukan is the only one that could be old enough to have taught Silva and Murad. Huan, Tuta were too young/werent even born yet.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

I dunno, though, it seems like humanitarian doctors wouldn't be that uncommon. Besides, Luikan was kind of misanthropic for a humanitarian, though I suppose he could have been less of a hermit in his youth...
Ymber0000

Post by Ymber0000 »

I just discovered this, i dont know if this counts as previous Suikoden though... but...

in the last part where you are tasked to go to Lunas with Haswar and Isato talk to Lucrecia and she will say something about the first time the true fire rune went berserk and killed lots of people when she was still a child...
Ignorance... be Destroyed
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Ymber0000 wrote:I just discovered this, i dont know if this counts as previous Suikoden though... but...

in the last part where you are tasked to go to Lunas with Haswar and Isato talk to Lucrecia and she will say something about the first time the true fire rune went berserk and killed lots of people when she was still a child...
Yes it counts. Lucretia is Karayan after all, and she witnessed a part of the Fire Champion War( Or whatever the name was). She distinclty remembers the rune going out of control( as seen in Suikoden 3).
Alex Delferia

Post by Alex Delferia »

flagantz wrote:
Sickpup wrote: Even more shocking, I think it's the first game to never ever mention the name "Silverberg".
Lelei once mention about Eleanor Silverberg before you go to meet Skald Egan
Well, before Suikoden V, there's only IV, which means, unless we're not shown all --- I'm too lazy to check the Legacies on Suikosource right now... --- the world only knew Eleanor.

Maybe she was smart in their mind, but she never struct me as... impressive. Not in the Shu/Leon way, anyway.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Zadiel wrote:In the coronation scene where Lym is getting crowned they do a sweep of all the people there.

The last two people there are two foppish looking nobles with blond hair dressed up extravagantly. I took a look at one of them and thought, I know this guy from somewhere.

Im willing to bet it was a much younger Milich.
I'm sorry, but I think those two people were Shula Vayla, and Maha Sparna, the Armes Generals.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Yes, I can assure everybody too that Milich wasn't shown at the coronation ceremony, only Skald, Sparna and Shula were there, at the left side to be exact.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Aha, that's what I thought. They wouldn't create a new character model for a half second shot.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:Aha, that's what I thought. They wouldn't create a new character model for a half second shot.
Poor you, you must've had your hopes up.

Its stupid that they didn't show Millich. Wasn't a representative of Harmonia there? Would've been cool to see Sasarai.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I think they never said anything about a rep. of Harmonia coming down to attend the ceremony. It was just Scarlet moon, Island nations, and countries beside Falena.