Is the world round?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Felenan Prince

Is the world round?

Post by Felenan Prince »

Hehe every assumes that harmonia could not invade falena becouse its a country that is nearest the southern most part of the know word and that harmonia is the northern most. But what if the world was round couldn't harmonia just move northwards until it circles the globe and reaches falena?
humpa

Post by humpa »

not exactly. You cant go from the north pole to the south pole by going north. your forggeting about the laws of maps.
Desides

Post by Desides »

Indeed. We don't know how far north Harmonia stretches, or if there are countries north/west of it on the same continent. We don't know how far the Falenan content stretches south, though we do know we've only seen the northern borders of Zelant, Nagarea, and Armes. In addition, there are at least two other continents that we know nothing about.

They must not teach geography in schools anymore...
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Desides wrote:Indeed. We don't know how far north Harmonia stretches, or if there are countries north/west of it on the same continent. We don't know how far the Falenan content stretches south, though we do know we've only seen the northern borders of Zelant, Nagarea, and Armes. In addition, there are at least two other continents that we know nothing about.

They must not teach geography in schools anymore...
I think he means "what if it wasn't round." Because on another thread I pointed out that Harmonia COULD do that.... if the map followed the standard RPG cliche map (think FF7) of going to the top of the map means you pop up at the bottom of the map. Based on the styles and cuts of clothes the people of Zexen wear, I would think they are at about the 50 degree line of lattitude, or slightly higher (ala Western Europe which is warmed by warm currents) in other words, high enough for regular snow. So I assume Harmonia doesn't have a tremendous amount north to go... but that's just speculation.
Desides

Post by Desides »

SpecialNewb wrote:if the map followed the standard RPG cliche map (think FF7) of going to the top of the map means you pop up at the bottom of the map.
That's not a cliche. When you appear at the bottom of the map after heading towards the top, that means you've circumnavigated the globe. You didn't magically warp from the top to the bottom, you circled the planet. Go far enough in a straight line and you'll wind up where you started.
Based on the styles and cuts of clothes the people of Zexen wear, I would think they are at about the 50 degree line of lattitude, or slightly higher (ala Western Europe which is warmed by warm currents) in other words, high enough for regular snow. So I assume Harmonia doesn't have a tremendous amount north to go... but that's just speculation.
Indeed it is. We don't know how far north Harmonia or the Nameless Lands extend, or if there are any countries beyond them. Likewise, the other three continents extend beyond the scope Suikoden has covered so far. I think the Suikoden world is far larger than most people are giving it credit for.
reyjusuf

Post by reyjusuf »

it's not round according to templeton
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It says that Templton is merely "searching for" the edge of the world; he doesn't give any proof that the world is flat. The denizens of Suiko may still be ignorant of the world's roundness, as we once were. Not to say that the world may infact be round, but we really can't say as of right now.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

if the map followed the standard RPG cliche map (think FF7) of going to the top of the map means you pop up at the bottom of the map.
When you appear at the bottom of the map after heading towards the top, that means you've circumnavigated the globe. You didn't magically warp from the top to the bottom, you circled the planet. Go far enough in a straight line and you'll wind up where you started.
If you go to the north pole, your next step does not take you to the south pole. If the top of the map is the north pole, and the bottom of the map is the south pole, then on a globe going past the top of the map heading north would make you appear at a different spot at the top of the map heading south. Look at a mercator projection. It works from east to west, but not north to south. You just can't do it on a square map unless you do it like this but then east and west doesn't work, just north and south.
Last edited by SpecialNewb on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clangeddin

Post by Clangeddin »

The world is not exactly round, its a bit flattened at the poles.

lol :lol:
Dont make the Big Show angry! XD
Desides

Post by Desides »

SpecialNewb wrote:If you go to the north pole, your next step does not take you to the south pole. If the top of the map is the north pole, and the bottom of the map is the south pole, then on a globe going past the top of the map heading north would make you appear at a different spot at the top of the map heading south.
Indeed, except the design of RPG worlds isn't limited by the considerations of realistic geography. Rarely will you find polar ice caps in the north and south, and progressively temperate climates as you move towards the equator.

RPGs generally do not engage in map warping, despite what it seems. The only example I can think of where this happens is Wild ARMs, and only because it was revealed in Wild ARMs 2 that the events of 2 take place in a different section of Filgaia that didn't appear in 1.

FF7, by contrast, takes place over the entire world, so there is no warping. There just aren't any poles.
Spudtrooper

Post by Spudtrooper »

Sorry for going off topic, but are you serious? About the Wild Arms connection I mean, I played both WA1 and WA2, I never noticed a link between them. Maybe I'm forgetting something here....