Sun/Night/Dawn/Twilight Runes... 4 parts of 1 True Rune???

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
WaterMoon

Sun/Night/Dawn/Twilight Runes... 4 parts of 1 True Rune???

Post by WaterMoon »

Hey all, just got to reading my old books in my library in game, old book 2 seems to show some kind of relationship between the sun and night runes, making me wonder if they aren't two halves of a whole rune, like the day run maybe. Also says the dawn and twilight runes sprang from the seperation of the two, the fragments of their bond, so like lesser parts of the day rune maybe??? I dunno. Maybe it covers this a bit further in the game (I've just gotten to just after the coronation ceremony), but it does make for some interesting thinking.
Desides

Post by Desides »

The Sun Rune and Night Rune are two separate True Runes that were connected together. The Dawn and Twilight Runes were created when the Night Rune turned itself into a sword (the Star Dragon Sword) and severed the link between them. The fragments of the link became the Dawn and Twilight Runes, which are not True Runes, despite exhibiting limited wills by choosing their bearers--they do so only to best guard the Sun Rune.
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

The Dawn and Twilight Runes are pieces of True Runes, unique and more powerful then any other base rune, but are not True Runes themselves. At best, both pieces together match the power of a True Rune, since the Dawn and Twilight Runes, together, when used in conjunction, can control it.
-M
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

If the dawn and twilight runes represent the link between the sun and night rune then why do they both guard the sun rune. Why not the night too.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

MrTomJoad wrote:If the dawn and twilight runes represent the link between the sun and night rune then why do they both guard the sun rune. Why not the night too.
They do not represent the link

They were created when hte link between the two was severed.

thus the Dawn and Twillight Runes were born, to protect the Sun Rune.
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

Okay but I still don't get why the sun rune got protectors and the night didn't. What was the difference?
Desides

Post by Desides »

MrTomJoad wrote:Okay but I still don't get why the sun rune got protectors and the night didn't. What was the difference?
The difference is that it was the Night Rune that became aggressive, promoting a need for the Sun Rune to become defensive. As such, it gained two protector runes.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Heh, I think you all missed my suggestion. I was saying that maybe, just maybe, the Night Rune and Sun Rune are like the Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune, not truly True Runes in themselves, but halves of it that can combine to form the actual true rune, like the Rune of Beginning from the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes. I also know Dawn and Twilight runes aren't true runes, but were formed from the breaking of the link between Sun and Night. Think of it like this, you have a crystal ball, that breaks in two halves, one half sun, the other night. But from the severing area break off two, much smaller, pieces, these would be dawn and twilight. Not saying this is the case, but sounds like it might be, what with the close connection between Sun and Night.
Desides

Post by Desides »

WaterMoon wrote:Heh, I think you all missed my suggestion. I was saying that maybe, just maybe, the Night Rune and Sun Rune are like the Bright Shield Rune and Black Sword Rune, not truly True Runes in themselves, but halves of it that can combine to form the actual true rune, like the Rune of Beginning from the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes.
That would require them to have originally been combined as a true rune. They were not, so they can't.
Serpent

Post by Serpent »

Desides wrote:
MrTomJoad wrote:Okay but I still don't get why the sun rune got protectors and the night didn't. What was the difference?
The difference is that it was the Night Rune that became aggressive, promoting a need for the Sun Rune to become defensive. As such, it gained two protector runes.
Sun rune seems pretty agressive to me that thing destroyed the whole ancient Armes kingdom. :?
You can close your eyes from reality but not memories.
suikodenRocks

Post by suikodenRocks »

what are the known true runes so far?

im kinda confused when i looked at the suikoden 5 artbook at the end where it shows the picture of the runes i counted 27 of them and there are 27 true runes but how can fire, earth, lightining, water be true runes since there was already a true rune version of them.
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

I know there are other people who could list this better but I'll try my best.

Soul Eater
Gate Rune
Dragon Rune
Rune of Beggining
True Fire
True Water
True Lightining
True Earth
True Wind
Circle Rune
"Yubers Rune"
Rune of Punishment
Sun Rune
Beast Rune
Night Rune
Moon Rune

Im pretty sure there are more but thats all I can think of for now.
Master

Post by Master »

You forgot Sovereign rune (Barbarossa rune)
Desides

Post by Desides »

Serpent wrote:Sun rune seems pretty agressive to me that thing destroyed the whole ancient Armes kingdom. :?
That's the entire point. Recall the siege of Sol-Falena, when the Dawn and Twilight Runes canceled out the power of the Sun Rune and prevented it from going haywire. Recall that Leknaat states that the Sun Rune has always exhibited immense power, making it remarkable even among the pantheon of True Runes. The entire idea is that the Sun Rune, having lost the balance of its connection to the Night Rune, needed protector runes to act as failsafes--thus the Dawn and Twilight Runes.
Yuber8900

Post by Yuber8900 »

Change Rune too.
Feh