True Holy/Godspeed

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
patapi
Forum Moderator

True Holy/Godspeed

Post by patapi »

I'm aware of the existence of a similar topic at http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3931 but my question isn't so much about the characters, as it is about the rune/skill itself. Hence, this new topic being posted here.

If 真神行法 should be translated as "Godspeed", then how should its weaker counterpart 神行法 be translated?
Source: 1, 2, 3

As reference, here are a list of translations for both 真神行法 and 神行法 from all the games. (n/a means not available)

Suikoden: 真神行法 True Holy, 神行法 Holy
Suikoden II: 真神行法 True Holy, 神行法 n/a
Suikoden III: 真神行法 n/a, 神行法 Holy Dash
Suikoden IV: 真神行法 True Holy, 神行法 n/a
Suikoden Tactics: 真神行法 True Godspeed, 神行法 Godspeed

Note: We already know 真神行法の紋章 (officially translated as "True Holy Rune") is not one of the 27 True Runes, so there is no need to reiterate that fact here. However, in case anyone still isn't aware of this fact, please check out http://www.suikosource.com/history/truerunes/
Wraith

Re: True Holy/Godspeed

Post by Wraith »

patapi wrote: If 真神行法 should be translated as "Godspeed", then how should its weaker counterpart 神行法 be translated?

What I don't understand from your post is what you mean by "weaker counterpart".

Edit: Your Japanese characters come to me as a question mark. I'm going to guess that you mean this
Suikoden Tactics: 真神行法 True Godspeed, 神行法 Godspeed
So the first one is the 'original' and the latter one is the weaker counterpart? I'm sorry I havn't played Rhapsodia yet.

EDIT2: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... p?p=40160&

As I have mentioned on the above link the name True Holy/Godspeed Rune was translated from Scroll of True Divine Transportation method (or something along those lines.) so in Suikoden 1-4 the rune still had True in front of its name eventhough it is not a true rune probably for the reason that it is the True version( as the bearer is always born with it). If the weaker counterpart has no True in front of it then it probably means: Scroll of Divine Transportation. It still makes sense but it dousn't sound as powerfull as it having true in front of Divine and probably has less power in practice and probably can be placed upon any character you chose in Rhapsodia. Correct me if I am incorrect.

I'm hoping I made the smallest bit of sense here.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

What she was referring to was the fact that there are True Godspeed runes, like the ones that Cedric, Stallion, and Cathari have, and there are weaker Holy Rune which you were able to buy in shops during Suikoden 1(I don't recall there being any of those during Suikoden 2, 3, or 4).
I hope everything is going delicious.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:What she was referring to was the fact that there are True Godspeed runes, like the ones that Cedric, Stallion, and Cathari have, and there are weaker Holy Rune which you were able to buy in shops during Suikoden 1(I don't recall there being any of those during Suikoden 2, 3, or 4).
Yeah I remember that now. Well I stick to my theory.

EDIT: Is my reply even a theory?!

EDIT2: Sorry but I'm very confused here. Is this discussion on the translation of the rune or the power of it? As you have mentioned both. If the power of the rune is also in question then I'l write some stuff now as well.

The True Godspeed rune (wich for the sake of disscusion will be the name for the type that people can only be born with.) is basicly only for quickenedTransportation. In game it also gives you the ability to escape from a battle with 100% chance. The lower tier wich apparently is found like normal runes are and can be attached to anyone(apparently this can be placed upon any place.) and seems to have the same power(apart from giving you a 100% to flee from battle.) making the difference very unclear.