The Relationship Between Harmonia And Dunan

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
boosty

The Relationship Between Harmonia And Dunan

Post by boosty »

Okay ive been looking over the history of the suikoden world etc. and realised something rather odd. The Dunan Monarchy under the first king bernard was removed from Harmonian territory(if it ever was Harmonian territory because theres no information that directly states this) long before the Scarlet Moon Empire. Does this mean that Harmonia infact had a huge divide between two key areas of its empire?(considering rupanda was the capital and now Crystal Valley is). And if so, would this be a flaw in the timeline perhaps because it does feel bizarre considering the ocean that exists to the east.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Well Harmonia used to own the land that is now called the Higheast Province(Highland in SII) if that is what you're asking.
I hope everything is going delicious.
boosty

Post by boosty »

No, what i mean is. If Dunan was never owned by Harmonia, but the Scarlet Moon Empire was, there would be a HUGE gap inbetween their kingdom. I was curious if this is correct as there is no direct statement that Harmonia owned Dunan, but their old capital Rupanda is where Gregminster now is. Moreso, i was looking at it as maybe a mistake of sorts as it seems to suggest that there were two huge colonies of Harmonia with another nation inbetween.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's possible, esepcailly considering the fact that transportation by sea is much faster than by land. When Sheena traveled from Toran to Dunan, he went by ship through Highland, which took him only two weeks. Meanwhile, it took Viktor and Flik 6 months to get from Toran to Dunan. Dunan may have simply been considered "unimportant" for Harmonia, while Toran remained valuable due to the "Holy City of Rupanda," which was actually built by the Sindars.
boosty

Post by boosty »

Good point Sars. I guess it would really magnify the fact that Harmonia is a kingdom in decline.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

So that means that Harmonia and the land area of Toran was'nt connected with each other? I always that the mountains that border the ocean to the east were sort of a bridge between Harmonia and the Toran region, with the Dunan monarchy/City-states of Jowstown being landlocked.

I guess it does make more sense with Toran and Harmonia once being joined toghther by a body of water, but still it's weird that their territoreis were seperated by another kingdom at the time.