Why was Kooluk never mentioned in previous Suikodens?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
seiko

Re:

Post by seiko »

Man, I guess I gotta purchase Suiko Tactics. Is it safe to assume that Kanakan was part of Kooluk also? It is a big island by itself and I don't see it part of the Toran Republic or the Scarlet Moon. Sorry to stray off subject, just a small thought that bothers me.
reyjusuf

Post by reyjusuf »

i dont think the map on theirstar.com is accurate. nirva island's location has to be wrong. people stop at nirva when travelling from island nations to falena so nirva's location is wrong.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Judging from comments in the fifth game, Kanakan is definitely its own landmass. I would assume that it is under its own command, also.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I wonder what became of the former Kooluk cities and towns that were not absorbed by the Scarlet Moon Empire?

It would be interesting to see.

Also are there any ideas as to where Kanakan is situated in the Suikoden map or any hints to its bordering countries or is it still the ambigious nation of alcoholics?
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

reyjusuf wrote:my theory:

SME conquered the Kooluk and they built a new fort where El-Eal was and named it "Pannu Yakuta". Then they gave away the former kooluk cities to different non-human races. The dwarves settled in Merseto and they turned Caleron into their vault. The elves settled in Haruna. The kobolds settled in the border village. The forest was actually the former SME-Kooluk border.
OH I know this has been deubunked already but I have the ULTIMATE proof.

Panna Yakuta is a Sindar Ruin so it existed LONG before El Eal was built.

BTW I think its inevitable to implement Suikoden 5 spoilers from now on.

SUIKODEN 5 SPOILERS
[spoiler]
dont think the map on theirstar.com is accurate. nirva island's location has to be wrong. people stop at nirva when travelling from island nations to falena so nirva's location is wrong.
I see... Skald Egan went to Hershville after meeting with him. That is a huge detour. However it could be that Nirva island is supposed to be a stop for people that are going to Estrise. Skald might have had to go there either way for another reason. There might be a second island for people going to Hershville and that would explain why Skald Egan took so long to get to Hershville.[/spoiler]
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

If you want to discuss Suikoden V geography, please search for a suitable in its own forum OR if there's none, create a new one there. Limit this one to Kooluk discussions only, yep.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

Kooluk wasn't mentioned in Suikoden 1 because Konami hadn't created it yet...

But well, if you want an in game explaination, you can just think it in this way... Kooluk was destroyed 150 years ago... Not that nobody knows about it or remembers it, but unless you actually get into the topic of history, why on earth would anyone decide to mention a country that was destroyed 150 years ago?

It'd be pretty strange if Tir was walking along somewhere, and some random characters decides to say, "Did you know there was a Kooluk empire long time ago? It got destroyed and is now a part of our country! Cool information huh?"

So yeah... It wasn't mentioned because logically, there wasn't any kind of conversations that could lead to anything related to kooluk that allows it to be mentioned...
Long time lurker...
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Kooluk didn't make much of a mark on history because:

1. Small size (seems to be about the size of a large Scarlet Moon province)
2. Not really involved in any major wars, just small ones with its neighbors (was only able to bully around the peaceful, individual islands due to an genious strategist, Troy. Once the islands finally got the idea of banding together, the jig was up)

This would explain why its doubtful that anybody in even the Scarlet Moon Empire would have much knowledge of Kooluk, except for historians.

The land for the most part didn't get inhabited by anybody else after Kooluk's demise, because apparently it wasn't very rich land to begin with. If you remember, one of the causes of Kooluk's decline was massive crop failures. It must not have much strategic value, either.