Why was Kooluk never mentioned in previous Suikodens?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

Kasim is from the Southlands and where does it say that?
"Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing better for business than a good war." -Shu

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine" -Morgan
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Kasim Hazil (Tenyu Star)
Origin: Southlands
Position: One of the Six Great Generals
Events: Succession War, Gate Rune Wars
Kasim Hazil is a seasoned General. Known as "Kasim of the Blue Moon," his skill as a swordsman is second only to Georg Prime. He has protected the Senan Area with Moravia as his base, and during the Succession War, he had Mathiu Silverberg as his subordinate officer. During the Gate Rune Wars, he tried to defend Moravia from the Toran Liberation Army, but due to Mathiu's tricks, Jowston attacked from behind and overran Moravia. Defeated, he joined the Toran Liberation Army and fought against Barbarossa in order to convince him to stop fighting. After the Gate Rune Wars, he asked President Lepant to send him north to fight with Jowston; and without rest heads out to another war, this time he is victorious.
~ Suikosource
I hope everything is going delicious.
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

Hmm.. I didnt remeber seeing that, but Im sure I have , just probably forgotten, thanks.

I always thought he was from the Scarlet Moon Empire, I was under the assumption that you had to be from the same land to be a general.
"Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing better for business than a good war." -Shu

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine" -Morgan
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

TheBoundlessDream wrote:Hmm.. I didnt remeber seeing that, but Im sure I have , just probably forgotten, thanks.

I always thought he was from the Scarlet Moon Empire, I was under the assumption that you had to be from the same land to be a general.
Nope. Kiba was a general in Dunan, although to be fair he did defect from his motherland. As was Kasumi/Valeria as a guest general. Heck, even Riou wasn't from the City State yet he led the entire Dunan Army.
Sasarai_valixz

Post by Sasarai_valixz »

*Rhapsodia Spoiler*

If i'm not mistaken...Corselia, the heir of Kooluk Empire did abandonded the empire so that the empire was end....She was searching for Kyril (she's in love with him?!) So that's why Kooluk never mentioned in SI-III...(my own conclusion)

Edit by Oppenheimer: Please mark Rhapsodia spoilers
I bestow you with the power of Unity of The Holy Circle Rune!
Black Sword Rune

Post by Black Sword Rune »

If the island nations is another name for them then I think Shu's been there. When he throws that coin into the river he says it's a special coin he uses when he trades with the island countries to the south.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

"Island Countries" mentioned by Shu was that federation that was formed by the island nations at the end of Suikoden IV. Lino was its first chairman. Kooluk was not part of this.
Black Sword Rune

Post by Black Sword Rune »

I see.
Leon Silverberg

Post by Leon Silverberg »

I also think that kooluk was not mentioned in previous games, because it didn't exist anymore..after the timeline of suikoden tactics kooluk doesn't exist anymore..many cities were "absorbed" by Scarlet Moon and a few cities were left alone..

but i think there is a much easier reason for kooluk being not named in suikoden 1-3 .. it probably hadn't got a name until then or it's story or the idea of kooluk wasn't there until then
Albert Silverberg

Post by Albert Silverberg »

First off, S4 takes place Way before I-III. A very important fact.

Possibilities:

1. It fell apart.

2. It was absorbed by another country.

So, thats why Kooluk was never mentioned before.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

You find out what became of Kooluk at the end of Rhapsodia.

Well, not exactly what happened to it, but you're told why the word "Kooluk" was never mentioned in the post-IV/Rhapsodia timeline.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The actual details of what happened to Kooluk Empire is presented in Suikoden Tactics. Please visit the respective board sections for more details, or better just play the game.

That, and it's not strange for this series to continue introducing new nations even if they still exist during the "current" era. Suikoden V includes a number of them new ones, as well as another mention of that one particular Dukedom.

Anything futher would be setting spoilers for the two games above, so this ends here.
Yoonathan

Post by Yoonathan »

It happened 150 years before suikoden 1, people would of just gotten over the fact that it had happen.
reyjusuf

Post by reyjusuf »

my theory:

SME conquered the Kooluk and they built a new fort where El-Eal was and named it "Pannu Yakuta". Then they gave away the former kooluk cities to different non-human races. The dwarves settled in Merseto and they turned Caleron into their vault. The elves settled in Haruna. The kobolds settled in the border village. The forest was actually the former SME-Kooluk border.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Hmm, I thought I saw this in another thread, but, meh, your theory is wrong.

If you played Rhapsodia, and actually beat it, you'd know that SME didn't conquer Kooluk, they merely absorbed some of the land while the rest was left to wittle away.

Plus, http://theirstar.com/images/atlas/wm_nrm_lrg.jpg

I know I got that url from someone that posted it earlier about this very same subject <_<
I hope everything is going delicious.