Why was Kooluk never mentioned in previous Suikodens?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
TheBoundlessDream

Why was Kooluk never mentioned in previous Suikodens?

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

I thought that was pretty strange, it was almost like it was a new nation, because its never mention in S, S2 or S3.. unless its called something esle now.. that or either they're not much of a threat these days.
"Rulers change, borders change, countries change, but money is a constant. In fact, nothing better for business than a good war." -Shu

"The light in my eyes may have faded, but the light in my soul continues to shine" -Morgan
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Right, Its proably pretty weak after thet destruction of "spoiler" El Eal fortress and maybe the ned of rune cannons creation. What we dont know is if mayb the island union or scarlet moon invade it after s4.

Also It maybe never did put a threat against Scarlet Moon or City state of Jowston as it did put a threat to Obel and Gaien. And thats why they didnt talk about it!
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

Maybe Kooluk didn't exist during SI-III time.

Maybe it turned into Kanakan.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Well elenors been to kannakan and I dont think it was part of kooluk

do we even know if kooluks A country? if kannakan is a city or state then maybe its in kooluk
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Koluk is a country for sure when it got a governor and a First fleet, second fleet and so on.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

You're right, Elenor did mention Kanakan. Even so, there's a possibility that Kooluk just doesn't exist anymore.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

why wouldnt kooluk exist anymore? Its true kooluk lost its main cannon weapon and alot of its soldiers but the 1 that was defeated was cray not kooluk, are you telling me where not gonna see kooluk forces in rhapsodia? Im sure we will see them and I bet we will finally get to be in kooluk
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The reason that Kooluk doesn't exist in Suikodens I to III is because the developers hadn't thought of it yet. I'm sure once Falena is finally revealed there will be some opposing force we've never heard of and the same question would be asked. The same could be for other unknown lands, such as Kanakan and the Nameless Lands.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

You're right Jowy. I was just throwing out the possibility that, since Kooluk wasn't thought of or mentioned in the first three games, that the developers could have retconned the storyline to reflect that either Kooluk folded or at least became less of a power sometime in the 150 years between IV and I. As usual, there's no official information, so we don't know for sure.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

It's most likely what Jowy said. Kooluk and maybe some other nations were developed by new game writers after Murayama left. If Kooluk was thought of by Murayama then another theory could be that Kooluk turned into something else or faded away like the Highland Kingdom did.

But I still believe Jowy is right. New game developers, new ideas.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

son_michael wrote:Well elenors been to kannakan and I dont think it was part of kooluk

do we even know if kooluks A country? if kannakan is a city or state then maybe its in kooluk
Elenor just asked for wine from Kanakan, that doesn't mean she went there.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Elenor said they have great wine in kannakan, how would she know if she hadnt been there? I dont remember too well but I think she mentioned it other times in the game as well and said she wanted to go back there
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

People don't have to visit a certain area in order to know that it makes good products. I've never been to Japan, and yet I know that they make fantastic RPGs (for the most part). She could've just heard of Kanakan's reputation and gotten someone to buy her some, she could've gotten some as a gift, etc. She would have to blatantly say "I've been to Kanakan" in order for someone to state that she's been to Kanakan. I don't remember her saying anything about Kanakan (or visiting it) other than that she wanted some wine from there.

If you don't really remember, then why even bother saying it? A debate isn't based upon things you kinda sorta almost remember, it's things that you know as fact. If she really did say that, more power to you. But, someone might actually think she said that and used that as justification someone else, which wouldn't be right.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I said I wasnt sure because that means other people can investigate and let me know

how exactly would my previous post make someone think thats fact? I didnt say "I deffenitely remember this or that" I simply said I think this or that happened and I thought I remembered elenor talk more about kannakan and so the door was open for people who remember most of the game to either confirm or correct me

its not such a big deal and what makes you think I was debating? I was simply adding what info I knew to the convo and replying when It felt appropiate
Fury

Post by Fury »

son_michael wrote:Elenor said they have great wine in kannakan, how would she know if she hadnt been there? I dont remember too well but I think she mentioned it other times in the game as well and said she wanted to go back there
She wouldn't have to have been there. Remember, we're talking about the Island Nations. I'm sure there was incredible trade going on between the islands, as well as the mainlands. I doubt it would be cheap, but I'm pretty sure Eleanor could get her hands on Kanakan's wine without visiting the country.

As far as Kooluk existing in S1-S3, who knows, really. There are many hypotheses that can attempt to explain.

Maybe after the conflict in s4, the country crumbled.

Maybe it was assimilated by Kanakan.

Maybe it became more interested in the Southern Expansion and didn't dare bother its neighbor to the North, Toran.

There's no real way to tell, so it's best to let it be.