Language in the Suikoverse

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
koolcblue

Language in the Suikoverse

Post by koolcblue »

I was wondering if in any of the Suikoden's is it mentioned that there are different languages. I remember hearing about different dialects and people saying that there are different accents in the games but other than that I think the language spoken is pretty much universal. Anyone have any insight on this?
-- CML --

Those Silverberg's always coming over unannouced...
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Well Cyndarin or Sindarin, same thing, is spoken when using runic magic I believe. I think that everything else is pretty much universal among humans. I, personally, think that the other races have their own languages. It just makes sense to me.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Piercezoner

Post by Piercezoner »

Mayb the dogs in Suikoden 3 had different dialect since they understood eachother
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

......They were dogs.

Unless of course you're referring to Kobolds? But they speak english as well. Some of them speak broken english.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:......They were dogs.

Unless of course you're referring to Kobolds? But they speak english as well. Some of them speak broken english.
I wonder if Kobolds can speak to dogs. And Neko-kobolds to cats.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

i think its beaudex ( i forget the guys name who lets you talk to animals) he can speak with all animal
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

pesmerga786 wrote:i think its beaudex ( i forget the guys name who lets you talk to animals) he can speak with all animal
That is due to a rune wich allows him to speak with animals. Probably a version of the Babel Fish (H2H2) but then with animals. This rune might very likely work with human languages too.
Castilho

Post by Castilho »

Well, as far as I remember there's the Sindar writings and English :P

Well, I know that cats can also talk ya know...In the Mercenary fortress there's the cat who says "Sonya..." ^^ ^^ ^^
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Sonya was a mistranslation. The cats don't actually speak english.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Marx2000

Post by Marx2000 »

I liked the fact that different areas have somewhat different dialects. in the Scarlet Moon Empire, Mathiu called Jowston, Jowstone. Probably a translation error but none the less it made me think maybe the writers thought of that much detail.

Perhaps one day Suikoden will get as detailed as Lord of the Rings. I think it's getting there.
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

I think Kobolds can speak to dogs. Remember Gengen and Gabocha? Each of them used to have a unite attack with Shiro - the Bow Wow attack. And Shiro is half dog, half wolf. I guess same goes with Kinnison and Ayda, coz they understand animals and can talk to them. :roll:
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Forgiver Sign wrote:I think Kobolds can speak to dogs. Remember Gengen and Gabocha? Each of them used to have a unite attack with Shiro - the Bow Wow attack. And Shiro is half dog, half wolf. I guess same goes with Kinnison and Ayda, coz they understand animals and can talk to them. :roll:
Not nessicerally( I can never spell this word right..) just because you can 'sense' what an animal is feeling dousn't mean you can understand the noices it makes.

Also, I was wondering, there MIGHT be a country or civilization in the Suikoverse that has the French language. You keep hearing Narcists and others say french words such as , Bon Voyage and Mon Ami. Unless this is just the translators having some fun.
Darkillumina

Post by Darkillumina »

I do believe that each nation has their own specific dialect but its translated into English/Japanese for our convenience obviously. For proof when you play Suikoden II there are many references to Riou having a Highland accent throughout the game.
Beware my power, because my might may not be on the side of right.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well a dialect as opposed to a separate language would not need to be translated as it would be spelled the same way in each case. It would just sound differently if spoken allowed but not by reading text. Unless, it is phonetic text.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

Think of it as since English is the common language in our world, in the Suikoden world, they too have a common language. Well, that is shown to us in English. So in a way, you'd expect them all to have a common language everyone knows.

And as it is shown, not everyone speaks this common language in the same manner. Just like not everyone speaks English similarly.

The accents are mentioned constantly. Muse accent, Highland accent etc. And there're also cases of bad English like the Kobolds. That was explained because Kobolds do not value education as an important thing, hence they're not very good with speaking.

So perhaps, they have unique languages of their own, but for now, we'll take it that their common language is very common among everyone.
Long time lurker...