Suikoden Full Map

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
WanderingFinches

Suikoden Full Map

Post by WanderingFinches »

Does anyone know where I can find a Full Map of the Suikoden World. I want it to be deatailed with mountains, regions, etc. Is there one?
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

The whole world is not known and is unlikely to be so for some time, so Konami are unlikely to release a map covering the entire planet.

Actually Konami have not officially confirmed just how the maps for Suikoden III and IV fit onto those for the first two (they did amalgamate those two at least); this means that any maps given may have problems with scales and may have wrongly extrapolated the interconnections.

Anything showing the positions, sizes, shape and the like of countries we haven't seen, or have only seen a small part of, on the map will be completely speculative on the part of the map maker.

Not to mention that we do not know the size and shape of the Suikoden planet so we have no idea what sort of projection, if any, the map would be in anyway.
Projection is the way that spheres are mapped to flat surfaces, in case of world maps the most common is cylindrical projection. This distends distances the further away from the equator travelled, it is most noticable for near polar regions (compare the shape of Greenland on a flat panel map and a globe.)
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
WanderingFinches

Post by WanderingFinches »

Okay, Thank you anyway.
Kenshi

Post by Kenshi »

WOWoWOW
that explanation helped me out lots 2!
cool & thnx
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

you can find a suikoden world map on http://www.suikox.com scroll down and look for geography :)
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

Although that map is only based on assumptions. There is no official scale, or distance between nations. Nations like Harmonia, Tinto and Grasslands have never had map (or full maps in the case of Grasslands) so we never actually know of their borders.

It is based on logic, but is still assumptions and shouldn't be taken for real geography.

Still, it looks fantastic.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

You can imagine the map definitely from suikoden 2. The Grasslands is West of Tinto (Pointed out in the game suikoden 2). And Gregminister and scarlet moon empire is south of the suikoden 2 map since gregminister is one of the most southern points you can get on the suiko 2 map.
Strategy is the key to victory!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Actually, Konami once released a map that showed Toran and Dunan in a single map with the Badlands region in between. With the recent release of a world map that combined all maps from the five Suikoden games (four and a spin-off), I've been looking for the former map with no luck.

Anyone care to share a copy of that map?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

One of the videos in the movie tab in the Suikoden V Special DVD shows the world map, or at least a large part of it. I compared it with the map at http://www.suikox.com/geo/map.php; the suikox map seems like a good approximation of the real thing. Way to the west, across lots of ocean, seems to be another giant continent, 4 kanji are on that continent, but I can't read it -- the font is too small.

And wow, Gaien Koukoku is so big compared to the Island Nations.
---
Buff wrote(in the deleted thread)
didn't think that falena was so close to the island nations.
Buff

Post by Buff »

dragonmasterx wrote: Buff wrote(in the deleted thread)
didn't think that falena was so close to the island nations.
indeed i did. also noticed more than one place on the map was called grassland and holy kingdom of harmonia.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

dragonmasterx wrote:One of the videos in the movie tab in the Suikoden V Special DVD shows the world map, or at least a large part of it. I compared it with the map at http://www.suikox.com/geo/map.php; the suikox map seems like a good approximation of the real thing. Way to the west, across lots of ocean, seems to be another giant continent, 4 kanji are on that continent, but I can't read it -- the font is too small.

---
That's probablywhat the series called the Western Continent. It's one of Zexen's main trading partner.

Also, I know this is a strange request, but could you possibly take a screencap of the map?
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

dragonmasterx wrote:One of the videos in the movie tab in the Suikoden V Special DVD shows the world map, or at least a large part of it. I compared it with the map at http://www.suikox.com/geo/map.php; the suikox map seems like a good approximation of the real thing. Way to the west, across lots of ocean, seems to be another giant continent, 4 kanji are on that continent, but I can't read it -- the font is too small.

If you can get a good screencap of the map via computer, I may be able to recognize the characters or use my dictionary to figure it out. Regardless, it would be a neat point of reference.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

That is far too small to really determine much of anything. If someone has the dvd they should be able to insert it in the dvd drive and obtaina screen cap at a larger resolution that could be saved. .
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Dura Sinai makes a good point.

But, I'm still very surprised with this map. The western continent looks more like one huge island, and yet they continue to reveal very little of the southern continent despite bombarding us with all these new nations in Suikoden V.

Gaien has more landmass than the Island Nations, but when you take into account the overall size of the nation (both water and land), they seem comparable to me.