The Most Devastating War in suikoden

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Millie

Post by Millie »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:There was the higheast rebellion to try and re-establish the kingdom of highland but that didn't go too well.
Really, i dont now about that, please some 1 can give me more detail information about this, because look's very intersting, thanks :wink:
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

From the Suikosource timeline:
IS 472
Harmonia incites an uprising within the Higheast region of Dunan, formerly known as Highland. In response to the attack, Shu, the prevailing strategist of the Dunan Unification War, incites a civil war within Harmonia. Harmonia withdraws from Dunan to quell the civil war, and Higheast remains a territory of Dunan.
DK

Post by DK »

Since no one mentioned it I think that Illuya getting blown up with a giant rune cannon is pretty bad. Maybe not the most devastating but certainly deserves mention in my opinion.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

The First Fire Bringer War lasted ten years, but doesn't that count when the Flame Champion was raiding caravans on the plains? That surely didn't cost a mass amount of life and no real battles began until after he broke out of jail (as far as I know). Then the big battle where the Fire Rune went out of control cost tens of thousands of lives. A couple of tribes dissapeared and a village was enslaved (or two? how many were taken by Harmonia?).

The Gate Rune War lasted a couple of years and the Village of the Elves was destroyed as well as Lorimir (sp?). The battles involved tens of thousands of troops on each side. Of course when the numbers went down to zero that doesn't mean they all died, just that they stopped fighting. Injuries and other types of casualties without death occured every time a unit left the field during gameplay. But Teo's unit was kind of massacred by the fire sprears. And the soldiers lost at Milich's castle were high in number.

The Dunan Unification War had high civilan casualty rate. Muse, Toto, and Ryube lost high numbers of their populations to Luca's cruelty and desire to feed the Beast Rune. The massacre of the Muse refugees at the Matilda border was pretty bad as well. The war went by too fast for too many casualties to have taken place and retreats on the battlefield always occured before too many deaths. So, for crimes against humanity, this war takes the cake. But not neccesarily so for most devastating.

The Second Fire Bringer War lost two civilan villages, but the casualty rate was low compared to the Dunan War's civilan casualty rate. And the battles against monsters lowered the sentient death rate as well as the Grasslanders methods of using their surroundings (the flood at the Duck Clan) to prevent battle unless on their terms or defending from a fortified possition.

The Island Nations War had only one city destroyed. But it was completely wiped out leaving only a handful of survivors. Not to mention the use of rune cannons on ship and how many of the sunken ships crew would drown unless rescued in a timely fashion (unless they skipped ship before it actually sank). And the use of the Rune of Punishment by commander Glen against the pirates and Lazlo's use of it a couple of times (I think he used it twice to hit a fleet of ships?). The speediness of those hits and the fact that they set the ships ablaze probably ment that the crews did not escape.

The Succession War and the war with Jowston that immediately followed was a long and bitter fight that had civilan casualties (the Kalleka Incident) with a lot of back and forth fighting. Untold numbers died in those wars. Tensions were created and it led to the Gate War that occured years later.

All wars are devastating and have high numbers in casualties, civilan and martial, but the most the thing that determines how devestating a war can be is how the people and the country come back from the war. The Succession War had more people changed during its course than any other war and the Scarlet Moon Empire began to crumble because of it. Apathy and corruption spread through the bueracracy and caused many citizens to become dissillusioned with the empire. It led to the Gate War which led to several other wars in turn.

So, the most devestating war would be the Succession War.
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

Gotta agree on that. Nothing is more destructive compared to the Dunan Unification War, coz of the damn bastard Luca Blight who annihilated towns and cities and took thousands of innocent lives.
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
Hikusaak The Great

Post by Hikusaak The Great »

In terms of civillain deaths, Dunan Unification Wars is most devastating. But, in terms of military deaths, I would say first Flame Champion crusade against Harmonia. Thousands of soldiers and fighters from both sides were vaporized by the True Fire Rune. That's equivalent to attacking a modern army division worth of 20,000 troops with a 30 Kiloton nuclear weapon.

If Luc succeeds in Suiko 3 to destroy the True Elemental Runes to vaporize the continent, then we're talking about detonating millions of nuclear warheads! The True Runes is both the symbol of life and death in the Suikoden world, and bad people might misuse their immense power.
"War is like a game. The best nations wins, and the weak nations loses."
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I wont spoil anything

but I think Falena's war takes the cake, so many fights...so many casualties

and so many different factions fighting

not too mention the bloody wars in the past before arshtat
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

So I guess Falena is yet to have the most devastating war in history eh. Who knows, there might be some wars in other countries that are more devastating. We just don't know.
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
Albert Silverberg

Post by Albert Silverberg »

Hands down, the Dunan Unification War. Mainly because of Luca Blight slashing every living thing he sees in his sight.

Second Place? 1st Fire Bringer War. If there thousands, and like only three lived, that must have been devastating too.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I think the war between Sword and Sheild was the most devestating, anything which caused 27 True Runes as gems and stars as sparks, and created the Suikoverse has to be powerful, whether the story is mythological or not in the Suikoden world, it still is the most devestating, since the True Runes have become central causes of many wars since as people are drawn to their power.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Felenan Prince

Post by Felenan Prince »

I think the war between sword and sheild was beneficial rather than destructive. It did create the world. Although its also the indirect source of all the war of suikoden.

In terms of casualty Im guessing the First fire bringer war.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Yeah, this isn't the Suikoden V section, so, there will be no mention of Suikoden V at all, son_michael, because it'll eventually lead to something being spoiled for someone.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Futch

Post by Futch »

I think the Island Liberation war had the potential to be devestating to the entire planet, just because of the sheer power of the rune cannons.
Everyone loves Dragons. Cause If they don't.... >;(
spud20531

Hmmm yeah

Post by spud20531 »

I agree with Futch the Rune Cannons were ridiculously powerful (but Iskas as a villain, bullshit i the extreme, the inly good thing about Rhapsodia was the music seriously)
Right these arent wars but the 'Kallekka Incident' and 'The Unicorn Brigade Massacre' were very harsh.
Just show's ya how Leon will go to any lenghts to win a war.
Great character developmet on Leon's part.
If you're the best they have, they'll more likely try to cover up your embarrasing incompetance.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

The Unicorn Brigade Massacre had nowt to do with Leon, though. It was Luca and Rowd that cooked that one up.