The Most Devastating War in suikoden

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Irish Pesmerga

Post by Irish Pesmerga »

SARSadmin wrote:Yep, the 1st Fire Bringer War may have been the most devastating, no only because the Flame Champion vaporized tens of thousands of Harmonian and Grassland soldiers, but also because the war lasted more than 10 years.
sure it lasted 10 years, bnut you have no idea how long the time frames are in the other wars, i.e At one point during the Toran War, 3 Months past in the blink of an eye after you beat Kwanda. I think that all the wars are actually meant to have taken place over 1 or 2 years.
Leon: You forgot Rule #1 in 'the book.' Don't put yourself in danger.

Shu: I had to throw away 'the book.' You read it too many times...
Celsis

yay for over analysis...

Post by Celsis »

I do agree that the First Fire Bringer War was very devastating because of what people have pointed out. But also to add as far as the english translated manga goes, that since he attacked the harmonian territories they abducted 5,000 grasslanders in exchange for his capture, which he gave into and "those towns that had helped the rebel troops were burned to the ground and their people were made into slaves." Who knows how many villages there were and how many people, and then around 4 years later he escapes Harmonia and fights for the grasslands independence, in which that huge explosion appears that "scorched the earth and made the night vanish for ten days" which lead the Harmonian army completely wiped out along with many Grasslanders which leads to the 50 year truce. Also the First Fire Bringer war left devastating aftermath as well, like Le Buque being now like slaves and of course the continuation of the war after the 50 year truce.

But I also agree that The Dunan Unification war was very devastating as pointed out with the innocent villages of Toto and Ryube being destroyed along with the mercenary fort and the Beast Rune sacrifice at Muse. Also what brought upon devastation at the time was Luc's True Wind Rune, which he used during battle to get rid of a lot of Highland's army. Also for aftermath there was the Harmonian army invading the previous Highland section probably because it was just newly defeated, which was called the Higheast rebellion that lead to Edge's village being attacked by vampires somehow.

Lets also take a look at Suikoden I, my knowledge of all the Suikoden's btw is rusty because I haven’t played the games in awhile. But in the Gate Rune Wars, the villages that I remember being destroyed were the Village of the Elves called Lukiae Ende Towayo, Kalekka and the place in which Valeria came from I think (perhaps more but my memory is gone). And there of course is the confirmed death of Odessa, Mathiu, Teo, Black and Ted. Aftermath of it could be continued border desputes I think. That might not be enough to compare to Suikoden II though.

Suikoden IV's Kooluk invasion thing wasn't that big though because the island nations are small and spread apart, so that couldn't have been much of many casualties but Iluya and whatever was destroyed by the Rune of Punishment, a few fleets of ships but nothing like many innocent civilians besides a few bearers of the rune.

We can only count personal confirmed deaths and such because we played the game in that part of the timeline, but who knows how many important people were killed in the First Fire Bringer War that weren't mentioned and a bunch that weren't so important but also mentioned in other wars. So really it's difficult to tell between the two main devastating ones of Dunan Unification and First Fire Bringer war.
miggypig

Post by miggypig »

The worst war would be the Dunan Unification War because innocent people were killed. Generals and leaders disagreed on almost everything so it was hard for them to plot enemy movements. Annabelle kept everything running and that's one of the things that makes the Dunan Unification War a terrible one. Jowy murders her and destroys the strong unit in the Jowston alliance. Luca not only takes over the region south of the North Sparrow Pass but kills everyone and burns everything (making a certain Templeton angry). Solon Jhee doesn't keep Granmeyer in custody but cruelly cuts his head off and hangs it on a flag pole. Agares is murdered by his own bloodline son. Gorudo refuses any knights to save refugees, causing a slaughter. Luca somehow brings the Beast Rune's power to Muse to devour villagers. Only Riou can save everyone, althogh he's young.
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

i think it's dunan unification too ...
mainly because of luca kills lots of innoncence people ... well, armless citizen
toto, mercenary fortress and ryube are destroyed too
kelvin loves suikoden
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

Well, for me i'd have to say Dunan Unification War. I'm backing the part about Luca Blight killing a lot of people (until we got to kill him, which sucked coz i wanted him alive).

The 1st Fire Bring war was mainly due to the TFR. A flame that never went out for 10 days. Sure, heard that before.

The Gate Rune war was because of that Hydra, right? I mean, you think that it's because of the Hydra and those little strategy battles, right?

Kooluk's Southern Expansion, because of lack of explanation, was ALLLLL because of the RoP. After seeing what it could about a few times just convinced more than enough people that THAT was devastating.

Still the Dunan Unification War was the most devastating for me.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
jonathan_priest

War

Post by jonathan_priest »

miggypig wrote:The worst war would be the Dunan Unification War because innocent people were killed.
What are you talking about? Do you actually know how many innocent people die in war?

But as for topic, I do agree the Dunan Unification war was the worst. The destruction of Karaya Village or Elf Village doesn't compare to Toto and Ryube where you actually see the slaughter Luca and his troops commit. The first Fire Bringer War too, probably killed a fair number of people, seeing as how long it lasted and the TFR going nuts.

Now, I would LOVE to see a Suikoden based on either the Hero War (I think that's what its called) or the war where Scarlet Moon pulled away from Harmonia. Those would have been much better stories to tell than some damn island nations no one cared about. Yeah, the war in S IV sucked. Anyway, my decisions for most devasting wars, probably Dunan War first, the First Fire Bringer War then the Gate Rune War.
miggypig

Post by miggypig »

OK an example of cruel torture from Luca Blight (for those who do not believe that the Dunan Unification War was horrible):
Woman - "Please spare my life!"
Luca - "Drop down and act like a pig!"
Luca - "Hoo, hoo hoo...... HOO HA HAHA HA HEE HEE!!!!!"
Woman - "So that means...."
Luca - "Die pig!"
*Slashes up the Woman.
Kiba - "Lord, shouldn't we go back now?"
Luca - "Hmph. My sword thirsts for blood. You, light everything to blazes! Fire! HAHAHA HEE HEE!"

Sorry if it wasn't word by word. :?
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

i agree the the dunan unification war was the worst also, for all of the same reasons that the above have posted, but there is also more in the dunan war that u havnt mentioned..the first scene of suikoden 2, when luca ambushes the youth brigade and kills all of them to make it look like the city states broke the treaty, and also didnt neclord kill some innocent people in and around tinto and turn them into zombies??
miggypig

Post by miggypig »

OK I missed that sorry :P . well anyways don't you dare contradict anyone who says that S2 isn't the most devastating story ok :twisted:
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I have to disagree with your reasons for stating the Dunan Unification War. Simply because Luca Blight was cruel does not mean the war was devastating.

A brigade and two small towns, not to mention Muse.

Only 2/3rds of Muse population was sacrificed to the Beast Rune.

Toto only had 800 and Ryube only had 1300 citizens. I'm not certain how many people were in the youth brigade but it didn't seem to be too many due to the small size of the camp. Everyone in Ryube wasn't slaughtered, Toto, however, i'm not sure about.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your opinion, but cruelty =/= devastation.
I hope everything is going delicious.
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

I would say the Dunan Unification War was the most destructive due to the fact that the conflict did more then kill innocent people as it turned the city states against each other. One of the best examples is when Teresa let in a lot of muse soldiers into greenhill only to be attacking each other out of food shortage. Also the military indecisiveness of Tinto and especially Matilda resulted in the death of innocents and prolonging of the conflict. In terms of lives a lot less were loss than compared to the fire bringer war but it was devastating politically in that it caused huge rifts and mistrust in the city-states.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Those rifts between the City-States had always been there long before the beginning of the war. The Highlanders merely added oil to the fire and took advantage of it.

Luca Blight might have been a pretty cruel enemy commander, but the after effects are far from comparable to the two Grasslands wars. Especially in terms of scale.

Wiping off an entire clan among the Six Clans from the face of the earth is not devastating enough? At least Muse survived the wartime, despite their major casualties. Furthermore, Karaya and Iksay are more or less the Toto and Ryube of the Fire Bringers' war.

Not to mention, if Luc had his way, not only the lives of people would be lost, but also the entire region, if not more. Jowy wished only for conquest, but Luc wanted destruction of all.
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

patapi wrote:Those rifts between the City-States had always been there long before the beginning of the war. The Highlanders merely added oil to the fire and took advantage of it.

Luca Blight might have been a pretty cruel enemy commander, but the after effects are far from comparable to the two Grasslands wars. Especially in terms of scale.

Wiping off an entire clan among the Six Clans from the face of the earth is not devastating enough? At least Muse survived the wartime, despite their major casualties. Furthermore, Karaya and Iksay are more or less the Toto and Ryube of the Fire Bringers' war.

Not to mention, if Luc had his way, not only the lives of people would be lost, but also the entire region, if not more. Jowy wished only for conquest, but Luc wanted destruction of all.
Luca wiped out the unicorn brigade that shows he is easily capable of wiping out certain groups which it was he needed that massacre to frame the city-states. Besides most of the muse victims were sacrificed, their souls basically destroyed and furthermore luca only needed a few massacres to raise the beast rune because he knew it would cause much greater pain and death.

The scale of death Luca dreamt of was no different from Luc's and Luca was held back by leon and jowy's plan to help him usurp his father. Luc wanted complete death, Luca just wanted as much suffering as possible. The only thing separating the two is that Luc had no desire to cause long term suffering only to end life compared to a man who wanted a land in a a near forever state of anarchy. It was only when Jowy took over did the war become more ‘organised’ and less destructive but Luca’s grand scheme for the beast rune was still on the cards. Had I not been for Jowy and Leon’s attempt to slow luca down and then finally kill him than the suiko nations would have came into choas.

There weren’t really any rifts between city-states only between tinto and south window over a war pact that fell apart when against the scarlet moon empire. Your right in that highland took advantage of their differences but it was how they did it that made it destructive as they effectively collapsed communications and mistrust more than their previous engagements with the city-states. This one was full of genocide and treachery whereas their previous last conflict was about territory. The city-states war was all about revenge that made it all the more devastating.
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

miggypig wrote: Woman - "Please spare my life!"
Luca - "Drop down and act like a pig!"
Luca - "Hoo, hoo hoo...... HOO HA HAHA HA HEE HEE!!!!!"
Woman - "So that means...."
Luca - "Die pig!"
*Slashes up the Woman.
Kiba - "Lord, shouldn't we go back now?"
Luca - "Hmph. My sword thirsts for blood. You, light everything to blazes! Fire! HAHAHA HEE HEE!"
That was one of the greatest scenes in Suikoden history. I had me dying of laughter the entire time. Then he slashes her. I just hope we get to see more of Luca Blight and his tyranny. The Dunan Unification War was my favorite but nowhere near as bad as the first FC. The only bad thing is you would never know but just playing the game because the scenes in Suikoden III only showed a handful of soldiers on the battlefield. I'm sure they could have just copied and pasted the handful eighty times over. What's with that? It makes the war look like a rag-tag bunch of Grasslanders going up against Harmonia.
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

I think the most devastating war in Suikoden World was the First Fire Bringer war with that huge blast that killed Harmonian soldiers and Grasslanders. It must have killed alot of Harmonian soildiers if they imedietly asked for a 50 year entente.
"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon... It's illegal in 9 countries... Yep, it's made with real bits of panther so you know it's good."

"Are we about to get it on, 'cause i'm as hard as diamond in an ice storm..."