Origins of Suikoden clothing

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Canalicula

Post by Canalicula »

First off, I adore Ishikawa's charcter designs (and I was depressed to see her absent for Suikoden IV), and they were probably one of the things that initially drew me into the series. With aspirations to be a professional artist myself, she's an endless source of inspiration for sheer artistic ingenuity in the way of character design.

I love the way she both draws directly, and blends traditional (and informal) costume to make something totally new, as opposed to say, rehashing the same generic RPG costumes (boots + cape + tunic + sword and so on).

The Narcissists' costumes struck me as having some 17th/18th century French/British origins. They're also some of my favorite designs for being so detailed and gorgeous. Let's not forget Hortez and Raura's Egyptian motif. . . . And Kenji. With those...Bright. Green. Jogging. Pants. Holee smokes. . . .Jefferson and/or Ace with obvious modern military influences. . . Scott, looking very French and/or sailor-ish. . . Harmonians looking semi-European late 18th to early 19th century military with those white pants and elaborate coats.

And on a random note, I recall reading (most likely on these very forums) that Ishikawa made a statement that Jacques' coat was inspired by one she saw while shopping. I think part of the appeal of Ishikawa's designs are subtle homages to current fashion trends (see Barts, Albert, Yuber, maybe Mike.)

But overall, while a lot of designs can be explained away as "this culture" or "that culture", I'm willing to bet that there are some that were just purely pulled out of thin air (or maybe such a blending of inspirations that they're beyond recognition) -- i.e. Le Buque, Duke's costume, etc.

As far as fashion sense goes, I <3 Queen's outfit. Nadir, Nash (Suikogaiden version), the Lampdragon Bandits, and any Narcissist in the series are runners-up.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Clive's clothing under that huge cape/hoodie looks really cool. Like he was some sort of soldier. [Suikoden II Design]
Alen And Grenseal's design was the coolest! Rage and Thunder runes too made them extra kick ass Imperial Knights.. or should I say Ex-Imperial Knights?
Yubers-Apprentice

Post by Yubers-Apprentice »

I like the style of all the baddies in Suikoden 3 Yuber's tuxedo looking outfit is so awesome,Albert's outfit sorta looks like Seed's outfit,Luc's outfit is cool period,I don't like Sarah's outfit because I'm a guy but if I was a chick I might like it. :lol:
I've beaten Suikoden 1,Suikoden 2,Suikoden 3,Suikoden 4

I still have to beat Suikoden 5...

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Sarah's outfit was really cool. Outfits don't have to be revealing to be cool. It's all in the design.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

Canalicula wrote:And on a random note, I recall reading (most likely on these very forums) that Ishikawa made a statement that Jacques' coat was inspired by one she saw while shopping. I think part of the appeal of Ishikawa's designs are subtle homages to current fashion trends (see Barts, Albert, Yuber, maybe Mike.)
I totally agree with you. Barts short jacket with furtrimmed collar looks like something straight out of a designer-boutique. For example Dolce&Gabbana or Roberto Cavalli.

As for both Alberts and Jaques coats, they too struck me as being very real-world fashion-inspired. I would gladly pay $2500 for Alberts coat.

Ishikawa is without doubt a major part of the Suikoden "brandname" and my character designer of choice. Her designs make the games about ten times more enjoyable.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
riou83

Origins of Suikoden clothing

Post by riou83 »

I would have to say I think most likly Scarlet Moon Empire may of been based on European Particulary Midievel Germany with maybe some Hungarian/ Polish.
Yubers-Apprentice

Anamanaguchi wrote:Sarah's outfit was really cool. Outfits don't have to be revealing to be cool. It's all in the design.
I know that it's just I'm a guy and I don't wear dresses I don't care if the have a bunch of cleavage and such all they have to do is look cool.

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

hah.. I am also a guy.
Yubers-Apprentice

I know your a guy...

"Patience is a Virtue"

time."
Silverfobbit

Post by Silverfobbit »

Clothing in each game made me like them, plus it made the hunt for them easy but enjoyable.

I have to agree to who ever post that Tir, Riou and Nanami outfit are somewhat chinese style looking but I kind of like them.

The outfits in Suikoden IV are very nice, some reflect the personality of the character while others you just got to wonder about them.

Now the outfits I enjoy more where in III, due to the fact different cultures and along with styles. I enjoy Geddoe's the most due to the fact it hard to draw as hell but it makes it fun to try, along with Sasarai simple yet a handful due to the design on the chest. Other than that I enjoy just almost all the character outfit in each game.
Eao

Post by Eao »

Now all we need is the origen of Hero4's out fit, and where Snowe got his Pirate costume. Its like some store threw up.
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
Silverfobbit

Post by Silverfobbit »

Eao wrote:Now all we need is the origen of Hero4's out fit, and where Snowe got his Pirate costume. Its like some store threw up.
Got a point there since you get to play dress up with Snow, why not the hero as well.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

The hero 4's outfit looked like nothing special. A black tightsuit, then throw on a jacket and denim shorts. That's about it.
Though personally I think Tir Mcdohl's footwear is a fashion nightmare. Hehe.
The one with the most interesting outfit background is from 3 i think. Just want to point out Rody. so far, he's the only one that looks like a typical witch/warlock (I know Rody's a boy). He's even got the broom. All he needs is the black cat.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
Eao

Post by Eao »

kuroinekokun wrote: Hehe.
The one with the most interesting outfit background is from 3 i think. Just want to point out Rody. so far, he's the only one that looks like a typical witch/warlock (I know Rody's a boy). He's even got the broom. All he needs is the black cat.
I think thats Estellia's doing, she seems to pick on the poor boy, or prehaps its an inside joke to start with, the cliche of "flying witches" and what not.

Its a shame he never did lift off the ground.
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Eao wrote:
kuroinekokun wrote: Hehe.
I think thats Estellia's doing, she seems to pick on the poor boy, or prehaps its an inside joke to start with, the cliche of "flying witches" and what not.

Its a shame he never did lift off the ground.
Yeah, I wish he did. That'll show her. (Just to say, I don't really like Estella that much. I want to put a bag over her head.)

I like Viki's clothes in all four Suikodens. It's not revealing and it's got nice colors. And the design is appealing, especially the one in three. And her outfit in four is also very nice. Actually, it's the best because it makes her look serious. Though one question, anybody notice that her clothes change when she supposed to teleport about aimlessly?
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!