Origins of Suikoden clothing

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Sasarai is cute

Origins of Suikoden clothing

Post by Sasarai is cute »

Does anyone know how much Konami actually studied real historical cultures, when designing the clothing characters wear in the Suikoden games? Tinto way of dressing, which combines 19th century wild west with 17th century spanish/french styles, is a good example of this mish mash.

Also, who do YOU consider the best dresser of all characters, non stars of destiny included, in any of the Suikoden games?
Those who fear dying deserves death.
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

As of the dressing, I can say Tir, Riou and Nanami has a very chinese look into it. Some are notably Japanese like Tai Ho, Genshu, YamKoo, etc etc.
The rest are just western.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Kasumi, Sasuke, Mondo, obviously Japanese.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Hanzo too.

I won't even pretend to know anything about French culture but Harmonia seems strongly influenced by French culture in the real world.

The Karaya Clan look like they were based off of Native Americans.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

I think the clothes from Suiko 3 are more 'modernized' than from 1 and 2. I'm going to use Viktor and Ace as comparison. Just bear with me.
Viktor's clothes are plain as in most of the colors are of one type of cloth (Note: Brown pants) while Ace's clothes, or specifically the pants, are printed cammos. So the Suikoden world discovered printed cloth already.

I can't say who's got the best clothes because I'm a fan of many but I'm all in favor for Albert's coat, Caesar's casual wear, Geddoe's outfit, Clive's ensemble, Sierra's clothes and Stallion's blue outfit (who says too much blue is bad?) Oh and Yuber's wardrobe change.

Is this too much?

EDIT: I forgot to add this. :oops: But I think the Chisha clan's outfits are based on Islamic culture. I'm mainly basing this on their hats and scarves. Also the clothes are mostly loose fitting and covered, especially for the women.
As for Caleria, most of the natives are dressed in an Arabic sense in mind.
La Buque is what puzzles me. What are they based on? The hats remind me of one of those Japanese farmer hats I see on documentaries. And what's the purpose for it? Blocking Mantor poop?
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
Eao

Post by Eao »

while Ace's clothes, or specifically the pants, are printed cammos. So the Suikoden world discovered printed cloth already.
[/quote]

well the "suikoverse" has lots of other things, like well "Sindar induced technoligy" as well as Elevators and movie cameras.

some Suiko Charas have commited horrible fashion crimes. We all know who they are, and for the most part we can agree 70% of the time when some are in question. I like topics like this, it makes us look smart and knowlagable about the world.
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Ishikawa has stated that the Karaya costimes are based on Bulgarian folk clothing.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

I agree, Alberts coat is nice. It's very Versace.

Haha, "the worst fashion crimes", there wouldn't be any Suikoden without them.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
Mikltov

Post by Mikltov »

I think that Harmonian's cloths are from the Europe, and more essencialy from Germany. If names are inspired from Germany, the cloths are as well.
All I wanted to do was to protect people I cut down. All I wanted to do was to protect the people wo couldn't protect themselves. (Suo, Valkyrie Profile)
Vincent of Scarlet Moon

Post by Vincent of Scarlet Moon »

Mikltov wrote:I think that Harmonian's cloths are from the Europe, and more essencialy from Germany. If names are inspired from Germany, the cloths are as well.
What great logic. Care to explain why for me there, champ?
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

I'd would like to add that I think the Highland characters clothes looked more of a Middle age Europe. Like how Jillia's dress has ( I think) a corset with her dress free-flowing down as well as a matching red and black top. As well as the armor of the generals. Luca Blight had a powerful looking knight armor with a blue cape behind, kind of reminded me of a commander in the Middle-age era of Europe.Same thing can be said about Culgan and Seed's armor/robe combos.
I forgot to add this. But I think the Chisha clan's outfits are based on Islamic culture. I'm mainly basing this on their hats and scarves. Also the clothes are mostly loose fitting and covered, especially for the women.
I agree with that. THough I think they're clothes are more of a bibilical Jerusalem look .

And I can't tell if the Zexens clothes are Western Europe (mainly French) or industrial American?
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

I just watched my Disney's Three Musketeers DVD again yesterday (yes, I have no life) and I thought the Tinto Group's clothes, especially Lilly, looked like they were taken right from there. Heck, even the Tinto combo and the way they took out their swords remind me of them.

I do agree that the Highland royalty were taken from the Middle Ages. When I first saw Jillia in the opening movie, I was thinking 'Princess' because of what she was wearing.

Thanks for agreeing with me, RageRune!

And Le Buque still puzzles me. The hats... the HATS!
silvershadow27

Post by silvershadow27 »

Oh! I don't know if anyone else has noticed this ( If anyone has watched Braveheart then you'll know what I mean )

Karaya Clan - almost tartan outfits ( lots of expensive linen) Shame about the MC Hammer trousers! :lol:

The Zexens - very Middle Ages ( Chris' armour rules! ) Orange is a nice, balanced colur that goes pretty well! :lol:
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

silvershadow27 wrote:Oh! I don't know if anyone else has noticed this ( If anyone has watched Braveheart then you'll know what I mean )

Karaya Clan - almost tartan outfits ( lots of expensive linen) Shame about the MC Hammer trousers! :lol:

The Zexens - very Middle Ages ( Chris' armour rules! ) Orange is a nice, balanced colur that goes pretty well! :lol:
SARSadmin wrote:Ishikawa has stated that the Karaya costimes are based on Bulgarian folk clothing.
Karaya's based on Bulgarian folk as stated above.

Yes, I do agree that the Zexen armor is cool. One armor I would like to state is Fred's. It's very unique, as far as traditional armor can go. I mean it looks purplish/dark purple. And the 'bird/phoenix' symbol is familiar. I'm sure I've seen it before at a movie or a book somewhere (not on his grandfather. I know Maximillian has it too). Can anybody confirm this?
Yubers-Apprentice

Post by Yubers-Apprentice »

They probably did study different cultures clothing around the world to get as much realism as they could.
I've beaten Suikoden 1,Suikoden 2,Suikoden 3,Suikoden 4

I still have to beat Suikoden 5...

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."