Runes in general

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Akira

Runes in general

Post by Akira »

Is there any in-depth information on the runes? Like how they are used (not the equip it and plress so and so to use it but by how they might actually be used)
Sutarion

Post by Sutarion »

To my knowledge, there is no information regarding how the rune is actually used. We can guess, based off the games, they is involves raising the hand in which the rune is imbedded and probably involves some sort of mind will from the user.

How this would work with runes imbedded in a forehead or in a chest, I do not know.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

A rune's magic is drawn forward through the chanting of a spell, which is learned after the rune is grafted onto the skin. The level of magic that one can use and the level of power of the particular spell is determined by the natural magical talent of the bearer of the rune. That's about all there is to it.
blank

Post by blank »

Sutarion wrote: How this would work with runes imbedded in a forehead or in a chest, I do not know.
you cant embed a rune on a chest..
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Leknaat's half of the Gate Rune is on her chest.

Plot-wise, runes can be attached wherever the bearer chooses.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skyrocket

Post by Skyrocket »

The Suikoden 3 manga shows runes being used in more detail.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-Hunter S. Thompson
Eao

Post by Eao »

so they are physical things? does it hurt you think to remove one?
are true runes more like...meta-physical beings? they have memories and power over users.
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

The regular runes, those lesser runes born from True Runes, are not thought generating entities and are seen as tools. They can be attached and removed from an individual without inflicting pain at all or I'd assume most people wouldn't attach runes to their bodies.

The True Runes, could be seen as meta-physical, I guess. They are above the natural realm, more like a phenomena. They seem to have no physical form besides the tattoo-like crystalline form they normally take. They can project a physical incarnation of themselves when called apon to do so by suitable means.

True Runes may also be symbolic forms of emotions and natural phenomena that occur in the world. The fact that they are considered dieties shows that they exist beyond the mortal realm and conscience. But, metaphysical sort of says ghost or supernatural. Magic is not necessarily seen as supernatural in the Suikoden World. So, I'd call them the phenomena that symbolizes the physical reality of the known realms.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Well, tattoos and piercings cause pain when they're being done so we can't really say that just because it's painful people wouldn't do it. Tattoos and piercings don't do anything, whereas runes give the user magical powers. I think people could endure such a pain to use spells.

In the end, nobody really knows.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Well, runes only appear as tattoos on the skin after they have been placed there from a rune crystal. I think that is quite different from someone placing a needle to your arm, then forcibly and permanently dying the skin with needle pricks over and over and over again.

Runes are grafted to the body magically and not forcibly. I would think it would be a rather painless process as it embues a person with magical abilities. If it was painful I'd think it would be much more painful than a tattoo as it embues the person with ancient magical properties. Also, it has never been mentioned as a painful process, but such an insignificant thing probably wouldn't be worth enough time to be mentioned.