curse

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
jowy blight

curse

Post by jowy blight »

i know that true runes had a curse but what about normal runes.
bright shield and black sword not true rune but they had a curse
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the normal runes don't really have any stories behind them. the Bright Shield and Black Sword were special unique runes that are basically the left and right "sides" of the Rune of the Beginning, but it's not that you physically combine the two to get the true rune.
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

technically, they are both half of the Rune of Beginning. The Gate rune was separated into Front and Back Runes, yet they still grant their owners immortality, in the same way i would suspect the Bright Shield and Black Sword would do...

their "curse" is that the owners must stay in conflict with each other, or else the runes drain them of their life. I personally think they grant immortality, but I'm not sure, maybe there is some fact somewhere that someone has to prove me wrong
Fliktor

Post by Fliktor »

I personally think they grant immortality, but I'm not sure, maybe there is some fact somewhere that someone has to prove me wrong
Yep there is. The Black Sword and Bright Shield are components that would make a true rune if combined, but as they are they do not grant agelessness. The Gate Rune was literally split in two, meaning that both halves are just weaker True Runes, but still granting agelessness.
Whats your opinion on censorship? ... **** censorship!
[King Fliktor] [Axiose, my Dæmon]
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Hmm, about the 'agelessness' part.

The Gate Rune was split in two, and both Windy and Leknaat seem ageless, so I assume that Jowy and Riou will not age either...
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Unfortunately, Konami has declared that Riou and Jowy will continue to age, while Windy and Leknaat will not age. This is official, so that's that.

As far as the technicalities go, the halves of the Gate Rune are still the Gate Rune--power-wise. It's simply "weaker" in its strength. Now, tell me how you can weaken "agelessness." Divide or subtract from infinity, you will still get infinity. That's one way to reason why Leknaat and Windy are ageless.

Meanwhile, the Black Sword Rune and the Bright Shield Rune are NOT the Rune of the Beginning. They are difefrent runes with very different characterstics--which become the Rune of the Beginning when the two bearers manage to kill one or the other. Thus, the Black Sword rune and Bright Shield rune are not halves of the Rune of the Beginning. They are simply components. This is because the two are not "split" pieces of the Rune of the Beginning.

An analogy here is making coffee. When you make coffee, you need ground up coffee beans and water. You also need to heat the water. So, you have three ingredients--coffee beans, water, and heat. This is similar to the Rune of the Beginning, where you have the Black Sword rune (coffee beans), Bright Shield Rune (water), and the conflict between the two bearers (heat). The result is a cup of coffee (Rune of the Beginning).

Now, if you split this cup of coffee into two 1/2 cups of coffee, would you get coffee beans and hot water? Nope, you simply get 1/2 cups of coffee. This is what the case is with Windy and Leknaat. They have 1/2 pieces of the Gate Rune, much like having 1/2 cups of coffee.

This is the difference between Jowy and Riou's circumstance comapred to Windy and Leknaat's circumstance.
Last edited by Vextor on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Thanks for posting directions on how to make coffe SARS. :lol: But I see your points on the difference between the Gate and Rune of Beginning.

In relation to the question, Luc's True Wind Rune gave him clues on what the future was. I don't know if Luc considered it a curse or not, but can anyone who has True Rune be considered cursed?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

All True Runes impose tremendous strain on its bearer, which can be considered a curse (they can influence you until you gain mastery over it, which can take centuries). Agelessness itself can also be considered a curse, as you are consigned to see all of your loved ones die off, while you remain alive.
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

too bad for Riou and Jowy :(

they are two of the best characters in the entire series, and i was hoping to see more of them, but seeing as they are going to age and die it seems that wont happen

as for the back and front gate being "weakened"....if windy can summon that many monsters with half a true rune, imagine if it was complete :shock:

thinking of it that way, maybe one would have to reconsider the thought of the true runes being equal in power....
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

True Runes are equal in power, but their bearers are not.

Windy is an extremely powerful sorceress besides the fact that she owns some powerful runes. That is why Leknaat was unable to match Windy's power even though she basically had the same rune.

A True Rune in the hands of a nobody would be relatively weak, while in the hands of a sorcerer (who knows how to use its power), they can become quite deadly.
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

I agree, that was my philosophy from the beginning. However it seems odd, that Windy, a bearer of literally half a true rune, could outclass absolutely everyone in terms of power, when they bore full true runes. Granted, Windy has an enormous amount of time to familiarize herself with her rune, and is a powerful sorceress in her own right.

I still stand by the theory of they all have the same potential, but it just seems almost ridiculous that she is so powerful with half a true rune...
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

SARSadmin wrote:Unfortunately, Konami has declared that Riou and Jowy will continue to age, while Windy and Leknaat will not age. This is official, so that's that.

As far as the technicalities go, the halves of the Gate Rune are still the Gate Rune--power-wise. It's simply "weaker" in its strength. Now, tell me how you can weaken "agelessness." Divide or subtract from infinity, you will still get infinity. That's one way to reason why Leknaat and Windy are ageless.

Meanwhile, the Black Sword Rune and the Bright Shield Rune are NOT the Rune of the Beginning. They are difefrent runes with very different characterstics--which become the Rune of the Beginning when the two bearers manage to kill one or the other. Thus, the Black Sword rune and Bright Shield rune are not halves of the Rune of the Beginning. They are simply components. This is because the two are not "split" pieces of the Rune of the Beginning.

An analogy here is making coffee. When you make coffee, you need ground up coffee beans and water. You also need to heat the water. So, you have three ingredients--coffee beans, water, and heat. This is similar to the Rune of the Beginning, where you have the Black Sword rune (coffee beans), Bright Shield Rune (water), and the conflict between the two bearers (heat). The result is a cup of coffee (Rune of the Beginning).

Now, if you split this cup of coffee into two 1/2 cups of coffee, would you get coffee beans and hot water? Nope, you simply get 1/2 cups of coffee. This is what the case is with Windy and Leknaat. They have 1/2 pieces of the Gate Rune, much like having 1/2 cups of coffee.

This is the difference between Jowy and Riou's circumstance comapred to Windy and Leknaat's circumstance.
incredible...not even some of my teachers could explain it that way lol
bla
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I've written the exact same thing a number of times before, so I have learned how to make it sound better over the years.
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

:)

I was pretty confused first..I could see what direction you were taking this but it wasnt very clear..but that example is pretty nice
bla