kalekka incident

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
jowy blight

kalekka incident

Post by jowy blight »

kalekka incident does someone know what is it
Odessa Silverberg

Post by Odessa Silverberg »

There is a book you can find in Suiko1 on the Kalekka incident.

I think Kalekka was a town in the Scarlet Moon Empire that was wiped out during the war between the Empire and the City States of Jowston. It was Leon Silverberg's plan to destroy it to make it seems as if the tragedy was caused by the City States and so to provoke the war.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not disappear..."
- Mathiu Silverberg -
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Then what does Mathiu have to do with it? I think it was Mathiu who made the strategy, not Leon. Well, I don't really know.
Why is it called a tragedy then? It's another of many towns that get massacred during wars, so I'll bet it's more than just that.
Credit goes to "lucreborn" for my previous avatar.
"Judgement of Lorelai" for my current one!
Thanks both =)
St. Ajora

Post by St. Ajora »

No, Leon's the one who did it. it was a tragedy because it was the only place in the Scarlet Moon Empire that was attacked- and unbeknownst to the people, it was their own empire who planned it, to raise spirits and enthusiasm for war. More like, "oh they wiped out one of our territories, let's take revenge". The people needed incentive, other than that, they didn't want to fight.
The shrine: http://tartarus.rpgclassics.com/~valkyrie

The board: s6.invisionfree.com/coaa
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The other posters pretty much covered everything (Sierra's information was a little off but that's okay too) but I just thought I'd post the entry in the timeline for the most clarification.

IS - 448: Kalekka Incident
Emperor Barbarossa wished to rid Jowstone forces from Toran, but a huge majority of the citizens were against any more war; they were still afraid in the wake of the Succession War. Leon Silverberg suggested a plan to turn public opinion pro-war. The plan involved the massacre of Kalekka citizens and blaming Jowstone for the atrocities. Kilawher Shulen objected to the plan, but in the end Barbarossa and the other generals agreed. Thus, the elite guards were sent to Kalekka to conduct the mission, and they successfully completed it. As a result, the citizens of Toran became enraged against Jowstone and Barbarossa was able to launch attacks against Jowstone forces. Mathiu Silverberg, who helped orchestrate the attack, quit the military after this incident.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masked_Bishop

Post by Masked_Bishop »

Humphrey wanted to stop the massacre but failed to do so didn't he? He punched out his commanding officer and was discharged after this incident as well. Actually I just found out recently that Leon Silverburg was behind the Kalekka Incident. But the question remains...was Kalekka ever rebuilt?
What's in a name? There are things that are best kept secret with this type of mission.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Toran is trying to get people to move to Kalekka, but progress is slow. They've recovered enough to export flour to Ryube, and that's it.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masked_Bishop

Post by Masked_Bishop »

can you really blame people for not wanting to move to Kalekka though? after what Leon did...they'd be afraid of another incident happening again. Wheiter it be from Harmonia, Dunan, Toran or Kooluk. (or anywhere else for that matter.)
What's in a name? There are things that are best kept secret with this type of mission.
Lore-Lai

Post by Lore-Lai »

Masked_Bishop wrote:can you really blame people for not wanting to move to Kalekka though? after what Leon did...they'd be afraid of another incident happening again. Wheiter it be from Harmonia, Dunan, Toran or Kooluk. (or anywhere else for that matter.)
That Leon is indeed genious for a high-class strategist but cruel as hell.... treated war and people like playing pawns on the chessboard *gulp*.

He reminds me with witty politician with dark intrigues and secret plots. He made Suikoden series seems so real for a war-fiction story.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Masked_Bishop wrote:can you really blame people for not wanting to move to Kalekka though? after what Leon did...they'd be afraid of another incident happening again. Wheiter it be from Harmonia, Dunan, Toran or Kooluk. (or anywhere else for that matter.)
The average person doesn't know that their own country killed their own people at Kalekka. For the average SME person, Kalekka was attacked and destroyed by Jowston--that's the common perception.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Why would the other generals agree to this attack?
POSITVE THOUGHT FOR THE DAY.
When you feel that nobody loves you,
nobody cares for you,
everyone is ignoring you,
and people are jealous of you.
You should really ask yourself....
Am I TOO sexy?
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

It sounds similar to when Luca and Rowd massacred the Unicorn Brigade and blamed it on the City-States of Jowston to start war with them. Seems like everyone wants to massacre their own people to get to war with Jowston.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Weilong Jin

Post by Weilong Jin »

It is a sound tactic. And most high ranking generals would know taht collaterel damage is part of war. It was cruel and slightly evil, but you can't fault the logic behind the move.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Lesson learned: never reside in border towns of Suikoden nations. Chances are, your home would be sacrificed for the "greater good".

I'm sure some of those Generals were against it, but looking back at the commanding relationship between Shu and his generals in Suikoden II, I'm not surprised they all agreed to carry out the plan anyway.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

The saddest thing about Kalekka is that after all the destruction and all of the devastation...you come along and step on Blackman's crops. Then you realize you did something wrong, so you exit and re-enter the town. Then you step on them again because you can't resist hearing that nice "crack" sound them make.

...You're a terrible person.