Tinto landscape

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
RageRune

Tinto landscape

Post by RageRune »

When I went to the Tinto area, I noticed how some of the trees there were bare and dead and no grass. Also, the wingers who lived there left the mountains there because of the mines bring drilled, so did the Tinto people ruin the landscape on that area, or was it always like that there? Opinions?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

yeah, the Tinto people ruined the landscape.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Wonder how they've managed to survive as an independent nation, then ^_^ Sure, they have the mines to create their own coin, but how much of that must go for the importation of food alone? The thought is staggering.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Maybe Tinto having a scarce landscape is the reason why their expanding thier territory and having border conflicts with Zexen.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

That's pretty much the case. Tinto's mines are pretty much the only thing that keeps Tinto alive, and that's why Gustav has continued to attack Grassland to gain more territorry. Tinto is also a major source of the extremelt rare "water gems," which is a critical component for rune masters in order to remove/attach runes. Water gems are very expensive, and thus warms up Tinto's coffers quite a bit.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

I'd forgotten that fact. It's such a quiet fact that it's hard to remember it, at times.

I wonder: from where does Tinto import her food? Surely not from the Grasslands, if they're always at war, and I'm not sure their Dunan neighbors have such an abundance to be able to afford to export any; don't some of the other states import from Grasslands to begin with, during the timeframe of GS2? Matilda in particular, I think it was...?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Tinto seems to have traded with Zexen quite often. This was partly the reason why they fought with the Grasslanders so often--they attacked their trade convoy. Either that, or they required Tinto to pay money for passage.

In Suikoden 3, Lilly Pendragon says that Tinto caravans were being attacked by the "Flame Champion," as well.

I'm sure Tinto also traded with Jowston.
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

Border conflicts? How close ARE they to eachother? I guess 3's world map didn't show all of Zexen.
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

LadyChris wrote:Border conflicts? How close ARE they to eachother? I guess 3's world map didn't show all of Zexen.
Their not really that close. Tinto is actually closer to Harmonia than Zexen. The border Conflicts were most likly conflicts from the war.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

That's what I was thinking, since a lot of Zexen is way to the West of th 3rd map and Tinto is in the South West of the 2nd map(Ithink.)
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

If you want to see a really good repataion of the suiko map go here

http://www.suikox.com/geo/map.html

It was made by SARS very good job he did indeed
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

That map has a lot of speculation as well, so it's best to think of it as "reference only." However, Konami has given official info on the location of Grassland in relation to Dunan and Harmonia, so the positioning should be correct. I already have a new map with an accurate rendering of the Island Nations, but I havn't made that public yet.

Anyhow, there's good reason to suspect that Tinto rapidly expanded it's borders after the Dunan Unification War. Below is my speculation based on the number of wars Tinto has fought with Grassland and Zexen.

http://www.suikox.com/ed/grasslands40422.html
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

How do you know Zexen had a war with Tinto after the Last Fire bringer war?
I don't remember anything about that. Thanks, the map was a big help.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

When you clear Suikoden 3, it shows what happened to each character after the war. In Borus' entry, it will say that he participated in to war between Zexen and Tinto.
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

Oh yeah! I beat it a while ago. It's weird that I wouldn't remember Borus' because he's a fav. character of mine.