Four Rivers of Dunan

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Harukaze

Four Rivers of Dunan

Post by Harukaze »

Does anyone know what the names of the four rivers flowing into or out of Lake Dunan? I know the Dunan River flows south to Toran, and the Lana River flows around and through Two River, but what about the other two?

Two sort of related questions... which river is it that Viktor discovers Riou? It seems that Jowy continues downriver from there, landing him in Toto... so that would mean this was the river flowing out of Highland into the Dunan, yes, and that Flik and Viktor were in northern Muse at the time? Similarly, if something as innocuous as the name of Riou's personal unit back when he first fought alongside Flik and Viktor at the Fort is what becomes the name of the nation, and the official version has it as being Dunan, how is it that Riou knows this name and is prompted to call his unit this? This would make more sense to me if the Dunan River was the one flowing out of Highland into the Dunan, not the one flowing out of Dunan into Toran, and thus would be the one where Jowy and Riou made their escape from Rowd and Luca.

Okay technically that was three related questions but the first two were sort of the same thought.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

I am aware that the Highland Kingdom becomes the Higheast Province of Dunan. However that has absolutely nothing to do with the questions that I have asked, as they all have either to do with geography specifically or events with respect to geography during the timeframe of the second game, prior to the Unification War even beginning.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Similarly, if something as innocuous as the name of Riou's personal unit back when he first fought alongside Flik and Viktor at the Fort is what becomes the name of the nation, and the official version has it as being Dunan, how is it that Riou knows this name and is prompted to call his unit this?

This is just a gameplay element, and has nothing to do with how the country was actually named.

The reason that the "Dunan" area was called Dunan is because the Monarchy of Dunan owned the entire area before the monarchy fell and the city-states popped up, then Maroux Blight received Highland, blah blah blah.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Hmm. I always saw it as that the nation was -renamed- Dunan because for some reason Riou chose to name his army the Dunan Army. So for awhile I assumed he named his army that because of the Dunan River, that that was where he was found by Viktor. But then playing it again I realized that if Jowy floated downriver to Toto, it couldn't be the Dunan. Unless both the northern and southern rivers flowing into and back out of the eastern side of Lake Dunan are called the Dunan River. Which is actually part of why I asked :)

I think it would add just one more layer to the already deep story if Riou named his army after the river in which both he and Jowy escaped the Highland army, because even though it wouldn't be his intention it would -also- mean he named his army after the river in which he and Jowy first parted ways. That, in my opinion, would be wonderfully appropriate. Otherwise why name a nation something just because there -used- to be a nation named the same thing there?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The army was called the Allied Army or New Alliance.
But it was the new nation that was given the name Republic of Dunan.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Given that you're a mod, I guess I can expect that to be official, huh? Interesting. Well that does clear up some things for me anyway.

Still, getting back to my original question, does anyone know the name of those other two rivers?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Besides Lana River that flows through Two River and Dunan river that flows from Radat all the way to Lake Toran, and then from Garan to the south, there are two other rivers. One flows in from Kyaro's direction through Toto village, and another can be seen between Two River and South Window principalities. Neither of those rivers are named.

Dunan river is very strange though. Some publications say the river flows into Dunan, while that can not be the case. As you see when Amada closes the flood gates, water disappears on the other side of the lake. This can only mean that water flows from Lake Dunan into Dunan River.

It's also straneg that the Dunan River slows into Lake Toran, and then continues south from Lake Toran from Garan all the way through Liukan's Hermitage. However, the Dunan River that flows south of Toran flows into Lake Toran (how confusing). Adding to the confusion is that official maps don't show Dunan River connecting Lake Dunan with Lake Toran.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Ah, good day to you SARSadmin, I was hoping you might comment on this. I thought that there might not be an answer to the question given that the geography guides you translated made no further mention of them than that they existed, but I figured it could not possibly hurt to ask.

That is interesting though, I did not know they called the river on which Liukan set up his hermitage the Dunan River. What sources show the name and direction of that river, out of curiosity?

I wonder... we know the Dunan does flow south out of Lake Dunan, for the reason you mentioned [however, I could have sworn that I remember some other source also mentioning this fact, because I had not thought of the sluice gate and also "knew" the river flowed south]. You also mention that sources say the Dunan River flows -into- Lake Dunan. Furthermore you mention the Dunan flowing into and then back out of Toran [although possibly both "Dunan Rivers" in Toran flow into the Toran, from what you're telling me]. Is it thus not possible that both the river from Kyaro through past Toto into Lake Dunan is the same river as the one that flows out of Dunan past Kuskus and Banner and into Toran? They both, after all, flow the same direction, and share a common line of current. I know, it's idle speculation since nothing official is said about it, but the thought occured to me. It'd answer how the Dunan flows both into and out of Lake Dunan and my own silly wish about naming the new nation Dunan adding extra layers of meaning to the story.

Sorry for rambling a bit there. Ironically, the whole real reason I started the thread had little to do with the Dunan River at all; it was the fourth river whose name I wanted to know, so that I could use the name for my castle in my current playthrough of GS2 - it flows directly passed North Window/Northwind, after all. Yes, it's silly, but I've never claimed to be otherwise :)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It is entirely possible for that river that flows from the Kyaro area into Dunan to be called Dunan River, but no source has mentioned that.

As far as your question regarding my sources, I looked it up in the Suikoden Encyclopedia. In it it mentions the Dunan River south of Garan, and even the "Dunan Rapids" which you need the special boat to cross.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Where does it mention the river flows north into Lake Toran though? I can't remember the geography of the area well enough to remember if we see it end in a mountain [which would be evidence enough for me] or if it continues on off screen, which could mean it flows in any direction.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It states it in the Encyclopedia as well. However, considering the fact that Lake Toran is directly connected to the sea, it's geopgraphically impossible for the lake to have a river that flows out from it.
Last edited by Vextor on Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Wow, somehow I entirely forgot about that. I guess the presence of the Floating Fortress keeping you from leaving the lake made me forget that the water kept on going on out to sea. Well, don't I feel sheepish now :)