Official history of the heros/castles/army/countries names?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Wicht

Official history of the heros/castles/army/countries names?

Post by Wicht »

I've seen another topic about this before but a lot of the content isn't canon and a lot of it speculation. I'm replaying the games and I'd like to know the proper names for the castles, main hero and army/country.

Everything else doesn't seem so concrete, can anyone shed some light on this subject? Proof, sources? I'd perfer people to respond with proof then what you think sounds better or cool or just what you picked for some play through. So anything from the novels would be more correct then anything else.

(Unrelated but the so called name glitch from Suikoden to Suikoden II I found clever. Since Tir disappeared from history I thought it was neat that you take T from Tir and cDohl to get TcDohl as an alias.)

[Suikoden III hero is Thomas as he is the character you name, Hugo, Chris and Geddoe are default names.]
(I also marked the 'country' as Grassland because the majority of the game takes place here, even though Tinto, Zexen and Harmonia get involved all the territories were once part of a larger Grassland before their take over so it stands to reason.)

From what I have seen and read in the past, I think most of this infomation is correct:

Suikoden

Hero: Tir McDohl
Castle: Toran
Army: Toran Liberation Army, The

Suikoden II

Hero: Riou
Castle: Dunan
Army: Dunan Alliance Army, The

Suikoden III

Hero: Thomas
Castle: Budehuc
Army: Fire Bringer Liberation Army, The

Suikoden IV

Hero: Lazlo/Razro (Based on the translation from the novelization either choice is correct depending on your preference.)
Ship: Dauntless
Army: Island Nations Liberation Army, The

Suikoden V

Hero: Freyjadour Falenas
Castle: Ceras
Army: Loyalist Liberation Army, The

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_ ... (Suikoden)
http://suikoden.wikia.com/wiki/Suikoden_Wikia
http://www.suikosource.com/

Any help would be appreciated, especially those that have read the novels. :)
Last edited by Wicht on Thu May 30, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Antimatzist

Re: Official history of the heros/castles/army/countries nam

Post by Antimatzist »

III: The countries stay all the same. Firebringers is correct imo.

IV: Well, Razro seems to be more accurate than Lazlo (the Pachislot machine even romanizes him as such). INF is correct.

V: The country stays the same.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There aren't any official histories of hero/castle/army/country names.

The only ones are Toran Castle and Dunan as that's the default name if you don't load data and anything you don't get to name. Anything that requires player input has no canon name, Tir, Riou, Freyjadour are all from non-canon sources such as novels.

And it's Fire Bringer. Not one word, not plural.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Not sure how it is cannon, but in the Suikoden II, if you dont upload any data from your game, the castle from SI is called "Aurora" and likewise if you Suikoden III, if you don't upload the the data from the previous, they the (Zexen Council) calls your country the Duncan Republic.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Wicht

Post by Wicht »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:There aren't any official histories of hero/castle/army/country names.

The only ones are Toran Castle and Dunan as that's the default name if you don't load data and anything you don't get to name. Anything that requires player input has no canon name, Tir, Riou, Freyjadour are all from non-canon sources such as novels.

And it's Fire Bringer. Not one word, not plural.
Well as I said in my original post, novel infomation is pretty close to being canon more so then speculated guesses. So by all means if you know them post'im here it'll help me out regardless.

As for 'Fire Bringer' it stands to reason the True Fire Rune holder prior has that title but an army, pretty sure it'd be plural. I have to reply the game to see for sure though. Doesn't make sense to call them 'Fire Bringer' rather then Fire Bringer(s) but again its been a few years since my last play through. Thanks for the input regardless! (I was wrong, looks like Fire Bringer is the correct term. As I found on Gensopedia. [Although I don't consider everything written there is 100% accurate but it certainly seems a reliable source.]
Antimatzist wrote:III: The countries stay all the same. Firebringers is correct imo.

IV: Well, Razro seems to be more accurate than Lazlo (the Pachislot machine even romanizes him as such). INF is correct.

V: The country stays the same.
Again its been awhile since I played these games, can you list the proper Country names then? I mean the ones that have no change by end of game that is.

Razro? I have never heard or read that anywhere, I always see Lazlo.
Last edited by Wicht on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

As for 'Fire Bringer' it stands to reason the True Fire Rune holder prior has that title but an army, pretty sure it'd be plural. I have to reply the game to see for sure though. Doesn't make sense to call them 'Fire Bringer' rather then Fire Bringer(s) but again its been a few years since my last play through. Thanks for the input regardless!
No, Raww is right, it's just mistranslated (as nearly everything in Suikoden III...), afaik the Fire Bringer are mentioned in Suikoden II, too, and called Keepers of the Flame.
Well as I said in my original post, novel infomation is pretty close to being canon more so then speculated guesses.
To add to novel information: In the mangas, Hero I's name is Louie and Hero II's is Tao, Hero V's is Ardil.

@countrynames:
III: Zexen Confederacy, Grasslands, Holy Kingdom of Harmonia
V: Queendom of Falena

@Razro: I told you where you can find the information.. but here you are. http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/201011 ... 769520.jpg

Lalzlo and Razro are the same in Japanese, but Razro makes more sense imo. I think I read somewhere he was named after the town Razril.

I guess Lazlo comes from a fan translation, so Razro is more official.. somehow.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Lazlo is just what people romanized the name in the novel to because it's the logical step since it's an actual name. But like Tir, Riou, Freyjadour, Adil, and Faroushe there's was no official romanization until the pachi-slot came out so now we know that it's Razro.
Wicht

Post by Wicht »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Lazlo is just what people romanized the name in the novel to because it's the logical step since it's an actual name. But like Tir, Riou, Freyjadour, Adil, and Faroushe there's was no official romanization until the pachi-slot came out so now we know that it's Razro.
Wow, I didn't even know about the pachi-slots, works for me. Razro sounds much better then Lazlo. I'll update the original post with it. Any additional information guys, keep it coming. It'd be nice to get as close to accurate info as I can. I know its not all offical but pretty damn close y'know?
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Razro may be more official(not sure how much trust I would place on the pachi-slot transliteration given suikoden's less that stellar track record with that), but it still sounds like scooby doo english to me at least. Of course, if you're unfamiliar with scooby doo, it might sound better, particularly if you're Japanese and thus L and R aren't distinct sounds.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

A few other names that aren't canon are Jillia and possibly Mazus. I'm 100% sure that her name is actually Jill from looking at the Japanese spelling in Suikogaiden. And Mazus was actually supposed to be called Mathers, if you believe Gensopedia.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Coyote42

Post by Coyote42 »

For Lazlo/Razro- either will work. I know in Korean the same character can be pronounced as either a R or L sound. I suspect Japanese/Chinese is similar.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Razro from Razril? I'll stick with Lazlo, thanks.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Exactly, and what's to say that it couldn't have been meant as Lazlo from Lazlir? The Engrish version of his name drives me nuts because Lazlo is just as valid and makes more sense considering it's an actual name. There are plenty of Engrish mistransliterations in the world and I think it's better to acknowledge that him being called Razro in the pachislot game is just another example of that. Sorry for the rant, but the Scooby Doo name is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Still, an official mistranslation is still more official than an in-official fantranslation which is, well, in-official. I mean what should Konami do to make it more "official" than this?

By that logic, I'll start calling Cloud Strife from FF VII Kraut Streif from now on, because I think this is more accurate than Cloud and the Katakana should be the same.

We can of course discuss the sense of the names, but their status as official or non-official isn't based on sense.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I find the notion that "I don't like it, therefor it has to be wrong!" to be ludicrous. It's the official romanization, deal with it.

The fact that Lazlo is an actual name is irrelevant and speaks as much against it as for it considering that half the names in Suikoden are made up.

I don't see people who dislike the name Louie McDohl assuming the author of the manga is a moron just so they can get around it and call him Ryuui instead. Nor do I see people disavowing Jillia even though there's nothing that even resembles an a sound in the Japanese.

Have there been name mistranslations? Sure, Mazus, Kirke, Dunceney to name a few, and there we have the creators actually telling us that yes, they were incorrectly translated yet people aren't using their correct spellings but Razro, no we can't have that, cause that's just silly.

Oh, and as an aside, in Suikogaiden the Dunan Unification Army is consistently called "the New Allied/Alliance Army" if you don't load data so that's about as official and canon as it's gonna get.