when a rune bearer dies?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
LadyMikain

when a rune bearer dies?

Post by LadyMikain »

when a true rune bearer dies does the rune latch on to the nearest worthy host or is that just the rune of punishment? i know lucs rune flys off like a dragonball but was that coz no one was close to him when he died?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: when a rune bearer dies?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Only the Rune of Punishment does that. Other True Runes just disappear and lay dormant for a while.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I think each rune is unique in that respect, given that they are all semi-conscious. the sun rune for example returns to its pedestal when the user dies, which is different than the rune of punishment and both the soul eater and the dragon rune were able to be transferred according to the will of the user. It's hard to say anything definitive though since most of the true runes we see pass from user to user without the death of the first user through an intermediary step like user a seals the rune somewhere, lives the rest of their life, and user B later unseals the rune. I would point out in the case of Luc, Sarah was alive and holding him in her arms when he died, so she was close enough, but also, Luc had removed the rune from his body to summon the wind rincar, so the rune was free of his influence as he died.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

i thought that it didnt choose sarah because she was gana die as well as luc. thats interesting, about luc removing the wind rune to summon the wind rincar i always thought the rune consumed him. i cant remember very well but did jimba pass his water rune on to chris or did he just die and the rune choose chris?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

he'd removed the true water rune a while ago, and was trying to reacquire it when he was mortally wounded by Luc and company. He asked Chris to take it in his stead, but was the rune's choice to accept Chris, not Jimba's.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

It definitely varies depending on the nature and will of the rune. When Emperor Barbarossa died/disappeared, the Sovereign rune(which was on his sword) vanished. The Beast rune vanished in a similar fashion at the end of Suikoden 2.
PSN: FreshMetal80