Dawn, Twilight, and Blue Moon Rune

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
ChaosZereul

Dawn, Twilight, and Blue Moon Rune

Post by ChaosZereul »

It may be weird that I'm starting a thread based on these three runes, but hear me out.

I replayed SV a month or so ago to finally get the good-good ending, and the story of the creation of the Dawn and Twilight Runes triggered an interesting thought. We established through SV that the Sun and Night Runes were once the same Rune, but the Night Rune grew jealous and split itself from the Sun. In doing this, the little bits that broke off during this split turned into the Dawn and Twilight Runes, which kept balance over the Sun Rune.

Now here's where it got interesting for me. The Blue Moon Rune turns the bearer into a Vampire. The Night Rune "allows" creatures of the night - vampires - to exist. Despite the fact that we call it a "True" Rune, the Blue Moon Rune is the only True Rune that seems to completely hinge on the existence of another True Rune for it to function. I mean, much like if the Dragon Rune did not have a bearer we would lose Dragons, if the Night Rune were to be removed from the Zodiac sword can we not assume the same would happen to creatures of the night?

I know the canon states that the Blue Moon Rune is a True Rune, but to me it makes FAR more sense if it were a third shard produced by the shattering of the Sun-and-Night Rune. I'm just wondering if I maybe missed something that explained all this, or if maybe Konami needs to add something in a future installment.
Flufflez

Re: Dawn, Twilight, and Blue Moon Rune

Post by Flufflez »

my guess would be that if the night rune didn't have a bearer that the blue moon rune would still turn its bearer into a vampire. even if it didn't, there is more to the power of the blue moon rune than just "oh you're a vampire now." that would make for a pretty weak true rune.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Re: Dawn, Twilight, and Blue Moon Rune

Post by suiko2fan2 »

ChaosZereul wrote: We established through SV that the Sun and Night Runes were once the same Rune, but the Night Rune grew jealous and split itself from the Sun. In doing this, the little bits that broke off during this split turned into the Dawn and Twilight Runes, which kept balance over the Sun Rune.

Now here's where it got interesting for me. The Blue Moon Rune turns the bearer into a Vampire. The Night Rune "allows" creatures of the night - vampires - to exist. Despite the fact that we call it a "True" Rune, the Blue Moon Rune is the only True Rune that seems to completely hinge on the existence of another True Rune for it to function. I mean, much like if the Dragon Rune did not have a bearer we would lose Dragons, if the Night Rune were to be removed from the Zodiac sword can we not assume the same would happen to creatures of the night?
@@Spoilers warnings@@
You had some interesting ideas. But You need remember to A few key points to your ideas. First the sun rune and night rune were never the "same rune" as you stated. (Nothing like the front gate and the back gate, which are halves of the whole gate rune.) The Sun and Night runes are 2 whole and complete true runes. The difference is they were merely linked together:
The old book 2 in Suikoden 5 tells the story like this:

"Long, long ago, the Sune Rune and the Night Rune were born into the world,
their existence intertwined. They had a strong bond between them, as one
controlled light, while the other reigned over darkness.
Before long, however, the Night Rune became annoyed by the dazzling
brilliance of the Sun Rune. The Night Rune could stand it no longer!
Turning itself into a sword, the Night Rune severed the bond between them,
and went off on its own...."

The key phrase in that story is "their existence intertwined". They were linked because of the whole day-night philosophy connection BS. However the were never one single rune, just 2 separate ones that were closely connected.

As for the moon-night connection. The moon rune doesnt just make vampires that only get to exist only if the night rune allows it. Possible hypothetical example, the sun rune has restoration life giving properties (E.G. Lyon's life and the twilight vision of Falena's restoration), but if the souleater, rune of Life and Death, said no you can't give that life back to so and so, does the sun has to obey it? No, the Sun Rune can still do whatever it wants, within its sphere of influence. All 27 True Runes, to our knowledge, are sovereign in of themselves and are not submissive to any other of the 27. I am Not sure how good of a comparison that is, but I hope it conveys my point.

The Blue moon rune, governs compassion and cruelty. It just so happens that part of its curse is turning users of its power into vampires. The night rune governs the night and the creators of the night (vampire, zombies, etc...). The moon runes does one thing and the night rune does another, it just happens in there sphere's of influence there is a little venn diagram with respects to the whole vampire thing. Just like how souleater took gremio's life as it had power to do; given its sphere of power, and the gate rune (with the 108 stars) using its sphere of power brought Gremio back in same way (no one is 100% sure how she did this, but she did). Both runes, gate and souleater, have separate roles, but in this context, there was some overlap of jurisdiction and the Gate rune won out (because of the 108 stars influence).

Ending quickly on this last point. Most of this is just theoretical BS. The truth is far more simpler and pragmatic. In the first game, Neclord had the blue moon rune, which made him immune to sword and magic. The heroes needed a scapegoat to beat him. Heroes always need a magic this or enchanted that to beat the unbeatable evil. Enter the plot device! How else does 1 beat an unbeatable vampire with a true rune, another true rune of course, and one that has master over evil undead things. Enter the Night Rune, better yet, lets make this rune into a sword that talks and has a narcissistic attitude...lol
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun