True Runes: Axis Powers

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
DoReMi_Vampire

True Runes: Axis Powers

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

The 27 True Runes adorned Sword and Shield in the beginning. Sword and Shield were fated to be natural enemies.
Do you think the will of True Runes could cause them to pick sides and ally with each other depending on which side they originally belonged to?
What I'm basically imagining is that the True Runes that adorned Shield think of the ones that adorned Sword as their natural enemies.

It should be pretty obvious which ones the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes were attached to. However, the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes represent the battle between Sword and Shield and are compelled to fight each other despite my theory so I'm not counting them.

Another instance I remember is when the Night rune decided to separate itself from the Sun rune.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: True Runes: Axis Powers

Post by gilgamesh31 »

So what other runes would be on the ‘Evil‘ side? would the punishment and soul eater bearers be on it? i know the runes have their own will but i would think that the bearers would be able to control which side they fight for. and while we are here, what side would our heroes be on, order and chaos can be both good and bad. thats why leknaats maintaing the balance so the neither of them can hold a dominace. so our hero's would most likely stay inbeetween the two.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I'm not really saying that one side is 'Evil' so to speak. I'm just bringing up the possibility that some True Runes may or may not be naturally drawn to oppose each other due to their nature and origin.
And the bearers have not always been able to control their runes, which I hear is pretty clear in the case of Arshtat. So it doesn't really have to matter which side the 'Heroes' are on if the 'Runes' say otherwise.

Good thing that you brought up Leknaat though, let's say the scales of balance between order and chaos started to tip too much in the favor of one particular side. Couldn't this possibly force the losing side into making a move to restore the balance?
For example, if the Beast rune is fully unleashed on the world and it starts spreading chaos, naturally people would try to stop it as well as True Runes that represent Order. While on the other hand someone like Yuber (Who's Hachifusa rune i presume is on the chaotic side) probably would try to keep it out of control.

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I always imagined the final suikoden game would feature all the True rune bearers, including the ones they havent reveled yet coming together for one huge fight. Maybe Windy could kill off Leknaat and claim her half of the gate rune. (By the way, if Windy only wanted the a True rune to overpower Leknaat why didnt she just steal the soverign rune off Barbarossa instead of hunting down Tir for his souleater?)

Anyways Leknaats dead and its up to the runebearers to maintain the balance on the one side we could have Joshua, Sierra, Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Lazlo, Tir and on the other side we could have Windy, Barbarossa, Sasarai, Hikkusaak, Zerase (She unites the Night rune together and reveals her true intentions) Yuber, Lym (i dont know? the sun rune possessess her or something ridiculus along those lines). Jowy and Riou join opposing sides once more to complete the cycle they thought they had broken.

O.k maybe i hadnt imagined it quite like that but you get the point. Maybe this game would be better in a FF Disidia format so we could have an open ending...
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

How would she steal a rune that negates runes? When Luc stole runes it looked like you had to perform quite the magical ritual.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Kinda off topic but...
...has nobody ever tried to just, oh I don't know, cut off the hand that carries the rune? :?

Anyway, I like the idea of someday seeing all, or a large majority, of the True Rune-bearers going up against each other in an epic battle between good and evil. :mrgreen:

Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

i'm not sure that the true runes necessarily belonged to either sword or shield specifically, nor do they definitively represent dharma or chaos. i imagine it more like the runes are in constant conflict with themselves and/or the world they are in, which is why they constantly jump from host to host seeking the ideal person to bare them. i imagine that the suikoden games revolve more around the heroes who become those ideal hosts, and ultimately the suikoden story will be complete when every true rune is at peace (something epic would happen maybe?).

if i'm not mistaken, graham cray cut off his hand when he bore the rune of punishment.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Oh they tried cutting the hand of a runebearer. In Suikoden IV you see a guy who lost his rune that way, and hand for that matter.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:Kinda off topic but...
...has nobody ever tried to just, oh I don't know, cut off the hand that carries the rune? :?
As Fluffles and Hirathien both said, Graham Cray did cut his own hand off in order to get rid of the Rune of Punishment. But that's not quite what you were asking about. I think you were asking if person X has tried to steal person Y's rune by cuttint person Y's hand off, is that right?

I don't think that's really possible. There seems to be a sense of destiny in the Suikoden world that would keep something like that from happening. It's as if the person who bears the rune is protected by the will of Fate (or the Runes themselves) and can't just be easily killed or maimed. Only Fate or another True Rune bearer or extremely powerful magic (e.g. the Sindar rituals) can remove the runes or kill the bearer. The only exception so far has been Arshtat, and that was even a part of a 108 SoD war, and she was even killed by one of the SoDs.