The 109th Star of Destiny

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
DoReMi_Vampire

The 109th Star of Destiny

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Here's a pretty simple and short question off my mind. The 109th star that Estella in SIII was searching for, could it be as simple as the sun? :? Major blunder on her part in that case.

Or maybe you have another theory that's just aching to be heard?
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: The 109th Star of Destiny

Post by gilgamesh31 »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:Or maybe you have another theory that's just aching to be heard?
Whats with this strange use of sarcasm? I think it comes down to fact that Estelle is just a compolsive lier as she makes up quite alot of nonsense such as the existence of a brother village to Alma Kinan composed entirely of men, called Gordius. claiming to have studied under Crowley and stating that she defeated Crowley as well as Mazus. Saying that Hallec was really a giant spider, born from an egg, who was preparing to shed his skin. Ripping off the story of Journey to the West, where she claimed to be born from a rock, journeyed to Tenjiku to retrieve rare texts, and that she encountered Rody as a water imp who eventually joined her. Estella also claims that Reed's hair had been in his personal style since he was born and that Hallec was actually Dupa. She also often gave Rody instructions on how to improve his magical ability, each of which were complete fabrications, such as paddling around the Budehuc baths thirty times to increase water magic affinity or running around the field with his belly button out to increase his lightning magic prowess. So my theory is she talks s**t!
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

It wasn't my intention to sound overly sarcastic, I guess I should have thought this post through a bit more. :oops:
It's just that I always assumed that because she's such a liar that it would turn out, in a Shyamalan-like twist, that she actually was telling the truth about at least one of those wierd things she said hehe.

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Well it is possible i mean Gordius the village composed entirely of men does actually exist and you even visit it in Suikoden V but its in Falena no where near the Grasslands, its not even on the same continent. Perhaps there are elements of truth in her stories maybe she did train under Crowley although i doubt she beat him or Mazus for that matter.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Estella was definetely a character. Despite her strange behavior, she was one hell of a mage. Also, pink hair? pink balloon . . .

Anyway, It's always seemed to me that the story of 108 stars of Destiny was kind of something only big time scholars seemd to know about. Like Qlon and Leknaat. Like, I don't recall a time when Leknaat would say "time to gather the 108 stars" and someone close by said, "oh yep, I know all about that".

So I wonder where Estella heard about it if that was the case. If she was so well versed in knowing about the 108 stars enough to think that would be amazing to be able to find a 109th star, then maybe she's not as daffy as she looks . . . or acts . . . or dresses. What is that, a circus ringleader outfit?

You know what would have been a fun bath conversation? Estella and Zerase together. I can only imagine what Ms. Emo Smarty Pants would think of Estella's rantings.

Also, Rody teaches us that even a well sharpened broom can be a decent weapon in a pinch.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Indeed she is a character that most Suiko-fans could go on and on about, but I remind you, this topic was never supposed to be about Estella. The question was whether or not the sun can be considered a star of destiny in the Suikoden universe.

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Well how would that make sense? I know we have Gadget/Gadget Z as a star but i cant really see the sun battling BonBon's or what have you, or opening a shop at your castle. The sun is a star correct but a stars of destiny? I doubt it, how would she even recruit the sun anyways?
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Gah! This subject suddenly got much more complicated than I ever thought :lol:

Of course I don't mean you can recruit the sun itself, that would be like recruiting the Tenkai star by building a rocket, launching it into space and asking it personally.

I'll just end it right now before this spirals further down into madness. The creation tale says that 108 stars were created from the sparks that flew during the battle between Shield and Sword. The sun was created later by the Sun Rune no doubt which means it's not a star in this fictional universe, also Estella is a liar.

There, case closed. :lol:

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:? No, sorry youve lost me...
DoReMi_Vampire wrote:Of course I don't mean you can recruit the sun itself, that would be like recruiting the Tenkai star by building a rocket, launching it into space and asking it personally.
What did you mean by recruiting the sun then?
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

It seems you misunderstood what I meant by Star of Destiny.
DoReMi_Vampire wrote:The question was whether or not the sun can be considered a star of destiny in the Suikoden universe.
When I refered to the sun as a "Star of Destiny" I never intended to imply it was a person, what I meant was just "SoD" as in a heavenly body in space, namely just a star.

Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Yeah, let's end this one since it's gone a little wacky in theories. Were you LARPing Mao and Nao's cultivating game and eating magic mushrooms?

I mean, I guess I see what you're getting at. If stars are essentially suns, and the stars in the sky represent the stars of destiny, than is the sun above the Suikoden planet a star of destiny? I'm going to go ahead and say no. I mean, did the sun rune really create the sun? I have no idea about that. But if it was artifically created by a rune, and the stars seen in the sky were created by a different source, then they're probably not related.

Crap, I think I went crosseyed.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:| Oww my head hurts now, i think maybe id have a chance of understanding it if i was on magic mushrooms...but i think i need to lie down for a while... :?:
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Whew, after a good nights sleep, getting off the mushrooms and reading through this again I think it's safe to say that I still don't know what went so horribly wrong with this topic :lol:

But just to clarify to any newcomers who's brains havn't melted by this thing yet, it's just like Silverberg says. If the sun basically is a star should it be counted as a star of destiny? Be it as an extra 109th star or as a star among the other 108.
Or should we just go the other way and say it's a separate entity of it's own?

Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oh for crying out loud.

Don't make pointless topics.