Knowledge Abroad

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Zykerion

Knowledge Abroad

Post by Zykerion »

Figured I'd inject a little life into the forums. Apparently this place isn't horribly active these days. *Shrug* So whether or not anyone ever replies to this is fine by me.

My question here is basically thus: How much knowledge of other nations do nations within the Suikoden world possess? For instance, does the Queendom of Falena, which is in the far southern reaches of the world, know about Harmonia to the far far north. I vaguely recall someone from Falena mentioning the Scarlet Moon Empire (I think). They've always been just a tad bit ambiguous on this issue.

The reason I ask is merely one of curiosity, though I've been getting bits and pieces of inspiration for a sort of original story, and was wondering just how much knowledge about other nations a nation on the heretofore unseen Western Continent would have. Would a force from across the sea be able to launch a campaign against them somehow?
Antimatzist

Re: Knowledge Abroad

Post by Antimatzist »

I guess that some people know about most places, e.g. the detectives know a lot about other places (even if it is only the country's name). But I guess a "normal" man doesn't know that much about other countries with which he is not involved in any way.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Nether Gate tried to send their spies to steal the technology of gunpowder from the Howling voice guild. Obviously, they know a good deal about Harmonia. And vice versa: Harmonia/Howling Voice Guild sent Cathari to investigate the Sun Rune war.

Millich Oppenheimer went to Lymsleia's coronation.

I think the leaders in each country know about the other countries. The commoners probably just know names and random facts. Much like how I don't know much about Spain, but I know that they speak Spanish; they hosted the Olympics in the last 20 years; etc. Cultural stuff, but probably not much political stuff.
Zykerion

Post by Zykerion »

Yeah, my main question was whether or not the officials within a given nation were aware of other nations. It's been so long since I've played any of the Suikoden games that I've forgotten some of those facts. Nice to see people responding too. Been waiting on responses in other threads for a few days now.

In any event, that helps me out a bit, because it lets me involve nations within this little story I want to write that may not be in the immediate vicinity.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Some countries have more knowledge of foreign nations than others do. Harmonia, for instance, keeps tabs on the entire world, and officials in trade-heavy places like Zexen and the Island Nations are likely to have a lot of knowledge of foreigners, while closed societies like the Nagarea Theocracy probably don't know much of anything.

Many commoners just know stuff like 'Kanakan has great wine', just like many people in our world just know that Colombia has great coffee.

I think the creators of Suikoden generally tried to make the social dynamics mirror that of our own world, and this is no exception.
Zykerion

Post by Zykerion »

Naturally, the trading post type locales would have information from just about everywhere, and I assumed Harmonia would probably have files on everybody. They're like the FBI of the Suikoden world.

I appreciate the feedback. Now I just wish I could come up with a convincing scenario for the story I want to write. Having a hard time coming up with motivation for the main character to gather up all these folks and fight against whatever they end up fighting against. I also this isn't the place to discuss fanfiction, so I'll keep that brief.