Scarlot Moon and Ducan Republic Flags meaning?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Scarlot Moon and Ducan Republic Flags meaning?

Post by suiko2fan2 »

So one of the cool little things in the suikoden series is that even little country has their own flag and symbols. Most flags are obvious in their inspiration: Falena has sun in their flag, Highland had a wolf, Harmonia has a Circle, Gaien has a ship, etc...

The two i can't figure out what they mean are the Duncan Republic's Leaf and the "creature" of the scarlet moon flag. (these two images are on the link below). scarlet moon flag's really can't tell if that suppose to be a dragon or some kind of bird, what do you think, and whats the historical importance of it. The game developers choose it for a reason. Also, with Ducan, we get many references to New leaf inn and New leaf Academy in Suikoden 2. Riou's army did pick this symbol of some reason seeing how other things in Duncan shared that idea of "leaf" so same questions, why a leaf?

http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/images/9 ... t_Moon.png
http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/images/a ... _Dunan.png
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Scarlot Moon and Ducan Republic Flags meaning?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Scarlet Moon's could be a Gul-horse.

And that's a feather, not a leaf.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Scarlet Moon's could be a Gul-horse.

And that's a feather, not a leaf.
fair point about the feather, i fell retarded, but still i dont what it means...

as for the Gul-horse..maybe...
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

if its a dragon it would kinda make sense. The Scarlet Moon has the most connections to dragons of any countries we've seen so far. they house the dragon knights, as well as the zombie dragon that guarded lake toran AND the dragon transformation of their king when he used the sovereign rune's full power.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

My best guess is that the symbol on the SME-flag is the emblem of the Rugner family and it's supposed to be a dragon. Well, as emblem's/crest don't have a real meaning a lot of times, that's just it.

As to Dunan... no idea.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

JanusThePaladin wrote:AND the dragon transformation of their king when he used the sovereign rune's full power.
That was a Hydra.

If you're lumping in Hydras with Dragons then Falena has more reason to have a dragon than the SME with their DRAGON horses.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The SME flag looks like a rooster to me.

Dunan's flag I have no idea.
JanusThePaladin

Yes, because a dragon horse is so much closer to a dragon than an actual clan of warriors that fly on dragons into battle. I'm sorry i missed that part.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

because a dragon horse is so much closer to a dragon than an actual clan of warriors that fly on dragons into battle.
It's certainly closer than a Hydra. which was the main point. Sorry if you missed that, I tried making it obvious.

And I do believe they are autonmous, which means they aren't part of the SME to begin with. Which reduces your idea to only the zombie dragon which seems a bit far fetched to use as a base for a flag, especially since the flag has been around longer than the zombie dragon.
JanusThePaladin

The Sword Barbarossa uses is also titled the King Dragon Sword. And i dont think the Dragon Knights are so much autonomous as they are a state within the Scarlet Moon Empire, but thats a seperate discussion.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:The Sword Barbarossa uses is also titled the King Dragon Sword. And i dont think the Dragon Knights are so much autonomous as they are a state within the Scarlet Moon Empire, but thats a seperate discussion.
But I guess the Dragon Knight's became later part of the SME and weren't a founding "nation", so it wouldn't make much sense if that was on the flag because of them...
JanusThePaladin

valid point, but the dragon is a commonly used symbol for power. You see it alot in stories of mideval Europe, which the Scarlet Moon Empire seems to be based off of.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The symbol doesn't look like a dragon to me at all. Only looks like a chicken, especially it's head and wings (dragons have webbed wings like a bat's).
This symbol also has no arms, and dragons always have front arms. Dragons without arms are called wyverns, but the symbol doesn't look like a wyvern either.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Maybe it's a cockatrice.

Not sure why anyone would put that on their flag but then again I'm not entirely sure why anyone would put a tree on one either.
JanusThePaladin

Or a feather for that matter