History of the Star Dragon Sword?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
FliktorForce5

History of the Star Dragon Sword?

Post by FliktorForce5 »

Is there actually a cannon history for The Star Dragon Sword? I mean I know it's the Night(?) Rune transformed or something along those lines, but what does that mean exactly? Did someone bond so completely with a true rune that it just utterly changed both parties fundamentally? Did a true rune somehow become self aware and just decide "Hey I'm gonna be a sword...why not?" if so are we seeing the first stages of such a cognizance emerge with the Sun Rune in Suiko V? And why a sword? I mean if you're strong and powerful enough to alter your own form at a whim, why not choose something a bit more...ambulatory? Even a timeline would be something. I suppose what I'm asking is simply "How much do we really know about the Star Dragon Sword?"
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...
JanusThePaladin

Re: History of the Star Dragon Sword?

Post by JanusThePaladin »

My understanding is that all true runes are sentient, and therefore self aware.
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

I never really got the impression that all true runes were self aware. I mean the Soul-eater seems to be capable of distinguishing souls that are more important to the user, but as seen in the game it's because those souls will more effecively and willingly defend the user in times of need, or at least that's the way it's always seemed to me. I'm not sure that there's really much of a case either way in two, so I'll leave that one alone. But in three none of the true fire, water, or lightning runes really manifested a "will" of their own. I mean no one's personality shifted with the addition of a true rune, regardless of how long they wore it. Geddoe was wearing his for something in excess of fifty years, and the only thing he got was slightly more jaded to life, but hey, that's what fifty years of living'll do to anybody.I can't really speak for four or tactics, as I have yet to play them, but in five I think is the first time we actually see something that could be described as a real "will" coming from a rune. But that's neither here nor there. My question, really, was about the star dragon sword. What do we actually know about it?
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...
JanusThePaladin

Night Rune

Current Owner: Edge

Past Owners: Viktor

A True Rune representing the "power of the night", this rune allows "creatures of the night," such as zombies, skeletons, and vampires to exist, as well as easily brings them back out of existence, when normal methods cannot. It was borne originally intertwined with the Sun Rune, which governed over light. The Sun Rune's great light annoyed the Night Rune, which severed the bond between the two runes. After initially becoming a sword, this rune's natures and whereabouts are shrouded in mystery. There are a few pockets of time in which it has appeared in important events in history. The original vampire, Sierra Mikain, is known to have had some sort of involvement with the rune, in another form. Zerase, bearer of the Star Rune (a derivative of the Night Rune whose exact nature is unknown), is very understandably familiar with the rune in its sword form. As the Zodiac Sword, it rested in the cave behind the Qlon Temple in Toran for a time, where it was found and wielded by the roaming mercenary Viktor, for use in fighting the vampire Neclord. The Night Rune defeated what was later found to be a clone of the vampire, but again was able to take part in a battle to destroy the vampire for good, in Tinto. After wandering with Viktor, the sword was passed onto Edge to aid in defeating another vampire, who has wielded the sword ever since.
Thats posted on the suikosource history/true runes page. As far as i know, that is all thats known, though Gensopedia may have more info, i doubt it.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I just think that in Suikoden 1, they (konami game developers) needed something to defeat this extra villain they created (neclord). As they were playing with the story ideas: "well we need a true rune to beat neclord and we want victor to defeat him" "ok, how can we do that without actually giving victor a TR, and upstaging our main hero and his rune?" "We'll victor uses a sword, so lets say a true rune turned into a sword, and victor gets to wield for a bit a kill Neclord, but doesnt really get to use to powers, like how Tir uses Souleater." "sounds good to me" ...fill in a few more background tidbits and woll-a ..we have the zodic sword. or something like that..any the've just been making it up and adding to background as they've need too to advance to story of whatever game, that be my guess. So no real backstory... a least not till a new suikodon needs the star dragon.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
JanusThePaladin

What you just said could be said about almost every single background character and object. if you want to take that view, then making theories about Viki and Jeane is also rediculous, as well as asking for clarification. Its a cynical view, but, that doesn't make it any less plausible
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

suiko2fan2 wrote:I just think that in Suikoden 1, they (konami game developers) needed something to defeat this extra villain they created (neclord). As they were playing with the story ideas: "well we need a true rune to beat neclord and we want victor to defeat him" "ok, how can we do that without actually giving victor a TR, and upstaging our main hero and his rune?" "We'll victor uses a sword, so lets say a true rune turned into a sword, and victor gets to wield for a bit a kill Neclord, but doesnt really get to use to powers, like how Tir uses Souleater." "sounds good to me" ...fill in a few more background tidbits and woll-a ..we have the zodic sword. or something like that..any the've just been making it up and adding to background as they've need too to advance to story of whatever game, that be my guess. So no real backstory... a least not till a new suikodon needs the star dragon.
Well this is probably true, but this is true of pretty much all video game storyline design.

He's asking more about the history we know, not how and why they came up with the history.
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

Well, true enough, but theories are also welcome. For instance, in the aforementioned quote,
Sierra Mikain, is known to have had some sort of involvement with the rune, in another form.
What kind of form do you think it may have taken? Or rather if you could witness the interaction what do you think would be cool?
I mean, regardless of the sword's initial developmental background it sort of has taken on a life of it's own, though it's never really been explored. I'm finding that I rather sort of missed seeing the old Star Dragon Sword in Suikoden 5 (haven't gotten around to 4 or tactics yet) I'd also like to see the exact order of events that led to Edge "inheriting" the sword (speaking of which is that event published in any form? Like a novel or manga or something?) I mean history would be great, but suppositions would also be cool.
Personally, I think it would be great if the Star Dragon Sword started off as a sword, somehow fell in love with Sierra, turned into a human (or vampire or whatever), then got horribly jilted by her and decided that being a "living being" was too difficult for him to deal with and went back to being a sword with a superiority complex to hide his shame.
But those are my thoughts what are yours?
JanusThePaladin

If i remember correctly, from the dialogue in S2 between Sierra and the Star Dragon Sword, they definitely never met when it was a sword. However, according the the aforementioned quote, the Rune became a Sword after the seperation from the Sun Rune. This could possibly harken back to the Creation story in that when darkness' tear spilit part became a sword. However, the Sun Rune never became a shield, so probably not. However, i would like to know where it says that the rune became a sword immediately following the seperation. You would think that if a vampire/zombie/creature of the night destroying sword had been around that long, there would have been stories about it, even if the world is only 1000 years old
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

The legend doesn't say that it became a sword immediately following the separation. It says that became a sword in order to cause the separation. Therefore, it became a sword before the separation. Sidenote: you don't have to believe the legend, but I see no reason not to.

I also don't think there is any evidence to suggest that it was ever a human. It doesn't seem to me that there is any reason to think that it hasn't been a sword this whole time. The main reason is that: it became a sword for one specific purpose; if it ever became something else, it would have no motive for changing back into a sword.
JanusThePaladin

Doesnt Sierra say something about being surprised at the form it has chosen to take? Maybe i need to play S2 and 5 again, but i also do not remember the legend in S5 saying that it became a sword to cause the seperation. However, i've played S5 the least out of any of the games in the series, so my knowledge of the dialogue in that game is not as good as my knowledge of the others.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Viktor gave the Zodiac Sword to Edge after Viktor and Flik saved Edge's sister from a vampire in some village. Viktor wanted to get rid of the loud-mouth sword, so Edge was apparently a good target for that. This info comes from one of the Shinshos.