Runes and their (Mis)Translations

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Celes
Global Admin

Runes and their (Mis)Translations

Post by Celes »

I'm comparing the runes throughout the main series, and came across some apperent mistranslations of their names.

Minor changes:
These runes are obviously the same.
Alert / Alertness
Goss / Gozz
Drain / Draining
Sword of Elemental Rune / Elemental Sword Rune

Major changes:
True Holy Rune (S1, S2) / Godspeed Rune (S4, S5) The best example. The True Holy Rune was a mistranslation in the first game, and therefor often confused with a True Rune. The issue was fixed later. Both names refer to the same rune.

Blue Gate Rune (S2) / Pale Gate Rune (S3, S5)
I'm not sure about this, but these two could be the same rune as well. The spells are almost identical (we have similar minor changes among the spells for the elemental runes as well in all games) and both are sub-runes of the Gate Rune.

Double-Strike Rune (S2, S3, S4) / Double-Edged Rune (S5)
Both increase the DMG dealt to enemies, and recieved by them. Notice that there is no Double-Strike in S5. (not to be confused with the Double-Beat Rune, which deals two hits in a row)

Magic Drain Rune (S2) / Magic Absorb Rune (S5)
Both restore magic points sometimes while performing physical attacks. The Magic Drain restores lv1 spells only, while the Magic Absorb restores all spells, starting from the lowest possible.

Greath Hawk Rune (S2, S3, S5) / Hawk Rune (ST)
Well, there are Firefly and Great Firefly Runes, but in this case, both are used by bow wielders and have the same meaning. The Hawk Rune goes with the other weapon specific runes in Tactics (like Unicorn, Titan, Goss, ...).

Beast Rune (S2) / Beast Rune (S5)
Obviously not the same. One is the True Rune in possession of the Blight familiy, the other is a rune for transformation used by Ernst. I wonder if these two are connected nevertheless, and how the latter was called primarily :?

Does anyone can confirm that all these runes are the same? Played the original games perhaps?

What is your opinion? Can you think of more like these? :)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Runes and their (Mis)Translations

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

CelesDestiny wrote:Godspeed Rune (S4, S5) The best example.
It's still called True Holy in IV.
Blue Gate Rune (S2) / Pale Gate Rune (S3, S5)
I'm not sure about this, but these two could be the same rune as well.
They are.
Beast Rune (S2) / Beast Rune (S5)
Obviously not the same. One is the True Rune in possession of the Blight familiy, the other is a rune for transformation used by Ernst. I wonder if these two are connected nevertheless, and how the latter was called primarily :?
Ernst's rune is a child rune of the Beast Rune and should be called Wild Beast rune.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
CelesDestiny wrote:Godspeed Rune (S4, S5) The best example.
It's still called True Holy in IV..
But I think they named it right in tactics.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

You are right about the True Holy in S4.

How do you know about the Beast Rune being a child?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I'm pretty sure Levi says it is.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I know that some of them truly are mistranslations. But couldn't some of them be the result of the the game designers simply changing the name from one istallment to the next?
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I agree with Ernst's Beast as a chil rune of the True one as I also remember Levi saying that.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

CelesDestiny wrote:Major changes:
True Holy Rune (S1, S2) / Godspeed Rune (S4, S5) The best example. The True Holy Rune was a mistranslation in the first game, and therefor often confused with a True Rune. The issue was fixed later. Both names refer to the same rune.
Noted. But how do S1's Holy Rune and S3's Holy Dash skill factor into this? They apparently share the same name, without the "true" character, in Japanese.

An accessory in Tierkreis also carries this same name.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Apparaently, more names of S5 were mistranslated :roll:

Equilibirum Rune is Balance Rune
Minotaur Rune is Gozz Rune
Sickle Rune is Sickle-Weasel Rune

Agree?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Noted. But how do S1's Holy Rune and S3's Holy Dash skill factor into this? They apparently share the same name, without the "true" character, in Japanese.
If the Godspeed rune is literally translated as Truly Divine Transportation Method Rune then it's reasonable that the Holy Rune and Holy Dash skill should be Divine Transportation Method.

Somehow it seems the translators just got the Divine part of the names.
Equilibirum Rune is Balance Rune
Since Equilibrium is synonomous with Balance that's more of a continuity problem even if the use of equlibrium is a rather artsy interpretation.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

It's pretty clear this is a lack of continuity in terms of translation and glossary at this point. Many of the other item and location names have similar inconsistencies (Sindar/Cyndar being the most obvious mistake, which was reverted in a later game).

A Japanese listing of runes could help figure out their wording, though I haven't seen a Japanese Suikoden fansite in years...
Formerly known as: Gothann
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I just remembered that the Saturn version listed all runes with an engrish translation and it says the following for the Holy rune:

神行法の紋章 - shin kouhou no monshou - a rune of dash

Basically, as I conjectured, this means Divine Transportation Method Rune. So, all in all, Holy Dash isn't that bad.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

If anyone knows where I can find a japanese listing of the runes (with english translation OR for each game to compare), that would be very helpful!

Any ideas which runes could be the same as well, just renamed in some games?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Was Clone Rune or Titan Rune a mistranslation? I would think they shared the same name in Japan.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Never thought of those two...

They are both for 2H-sword wielders only. Clone deals 2.0x DMG, Titan deals 1.3x DMG with lowered SPD. Clone is S1 exclusive, Titan is S2, S3, S5 and ST.

But one thing doesn't fit. They have both official and different images so I suppose they were intended to be different runes in the first place.