Suikoden Continuity Glitches

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Jack of All Trades

Suikoden Continuity Glitches

Post by Jack of All Trades »

First of all, When did the Scarlet Moon-Jowston War end? I always assumed that it ended shortly after the Kaleka Incident. Now I'm not so sure.

Also, I thought the bearer of a true rune continued to age until maturity, take Luc for example. How come I keep reading that Ted removing the Soul Eater while aboard the Fog Ship allowed him to age?

Also how hold is Ted supposed to appear in Suikoden IV anyway? He appears to be 16 or 17 years old.

Finally, in the transcription of the Suikoden Radio Show, Teo and Ted return from the Scarlet-Moon Jowston War. Teo mentions that he has a son about Ted's Age.

The only way all of this works is if the Scarlet-Moon Jowston War is still ongoing during Suikoden 1.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember Teo being called to the border during the very begining of Suikoden 1. Is this the way everything goes down?
blah1017

Re: Suikoden Continuity Glitches

Post by blah1017 »

Well Teo was called to the northern border, and Kasim Hazel is defeated with the help from the City State's interference.

I'm unsure if the war was still going on, but Jowston was definitely still antagonist.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

That would have to be the only way it WOULD work.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Here is the thing though. A war that lasts for 5 years without either country even occupying the just seems impossible. Take the battle of the bulge for instance. It lasted about a month and a half. Both nations could feasibly occupy both sides of the border as a preventative measure or to secure trade. If something like this was happening it would probably be closer to the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict and that has religious motivation to keep it going.

If it weren't for the Suikoden Radio Show dropping the line "I have a boy about your age", I could believe that Teo probably adopted Ted between 447 and 449 but the whole thing is hard to swallow.
Mise

Post by Mise »

Suikoden 1 takes places 150 years after Suikoden 4. Ted's been trying to hide the Soul Eater from everyone, so it's likely he wouldn't tell Teo his true age. More likely, he'd simply tell him how old he was when he stopped aging.

There is still conflict in the north, otherwise, Teo would not have been called there in the beginning of Suikoden 1. But I believe it to be postwar resistance, rather than something full-fledged.
It is no coincidence that man's best friend is incapable of speech.