Time of the month:a rant about female characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Just because the game says something does not mean it is true. The Black Sword and Bright Shield Runes are constantly referred to as 'True Runes,' although they are not. Just because the game says Shabon is male (once, mind you), does not mean that she is indeed male. Suikosource says she is female, and the game corrects this one minor error multiple times in the games. The link doesn't work because direct linking isn't allowed from GameFAQs. Look at GameFAQs yourself and look around for what she's linking to.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

ok. Suikodenmaster349393320.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Be nice.

I've been playing Suikoden since the game first came out--and yes, I bought it when it came out. I didn't have to hunt for it online.

So, there are many who have seen these mistakes before, and have checked on them.

Shabon is a girl. I always thought she was a girl, and took her description as a spelling error. Since there was a spelling error before in the game.

Insulting people who are trying to help is NOT a good way to go. :)
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I've been playing Suikoden since it released also, doesn't make me special. Just means I got it at a cheaper price.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Anamanaguchi, it's alright.

Konami messes up a lot in their translation. Shabon wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last. We've had a worse case with Kasios, when the only text that refered to his gender in the entire game called him a 'she'. Shabon was pretty lucky to have correct mentions of her gender elsewhere.

Then we also had intentional mistakes like in Wendel's case. She's nowhere as ambiguous as the rest of them, but Nico still made a mistake in his comments.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Let's not forget Peggi from 3.

Peggi has a female name, and painted nails--yet this is not a female. Peggi is a male Lizard.

However, Konami's translation/spelling errors have gotten better over the years.

Oh, and Anamanaguchi, I didn't mean to imply that those who have been playing Suikoden since it first came out were special--just that we've had more time to look things up. :)
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I believe Peggi is a female lizard....she isn't??
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

the game says shes female and her picture looks female so I would say shes female

unless the manga for suikoden 3 says otherwise
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

See, this is where the problem lies:

Suikosource has Peggi listed as male.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

son_michael wrote:the game says shes female and her picture looks female so I would say shes female

unless the manga for suikoden 3 says otherwise
Which part of the game listed Peggi as female? And the picture looked female to you? I thought Peggi was male from the moment I recruited him. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Because we're going off the topic rail and crashing to a locked topic!
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Well, the only time I realized Peggi's male was when I heard that we'll have our first female blacksmith in SIV.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

ANYWAYS.

What about Tuta? Talk about "girl power."

p.s. yeah its a joke/sarcasm.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

In S2, I thought Tuta was a girl until Huan said 'he' as a reference to Tuta in the comment box, I think.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Most probably 99% of Suikoden gamers, when they first saw Tuta, thought he was a girl, including me!
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Male or female-wise, Tuta is still a worthless character. Almost as much as Hanna. There are way better front-liners and her magic affinity is terrible. Although I'm sure she could take Tanya Harding in a fight. (Harding is now a female boxer.)
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."